JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Didn't really see any post about bass fishing. Put up pictures of ones you caught. Hoping to get out and try some new lakes this fall.

caught this fatty yesterday at lake selmac. Didn't have any scales with me but I'm thinking it was around 4 pounds.
5C9C307B-4AAC-4695-9B8C-D7CC7CE0829F.jpeg

Not sure I have any current pics.

But many members here fish for both smallies and bucketmouths. Most of the posts I read about are over on the westside, fishing Willamette, etc. But Umpqua has great smallmouth fishing from driftboat, kayak or raft. Try around the Elkton put in and downstream.

John Day river is famous for smallmouth from rafts and driftboats, one just about can't keep them off the hook. Small plastic grubs and worms drifted or retrieved slow.

McKay Reservoir near Pendleton has both smallies, crappie, and largemouth. I've caught a lot of crappie there from a boat, but never seemed to master the bass fishing.

Phillips Reservoir near Sumpter used to have fabulous trout, coho, smallmouth, and largemouth fishing from a boat or coho and trout from the bank. Then we had an illegal planting of perch that put hydrilla in the lake. Then we had a bunch of drawdowns. Now it's pretty much perch/trout, and an illegal planting of walleye.

The Snake River impoundments of Brownlee, Oxbow, and Hells Canyon, used to have fab smallmouth and crappie fisheries, and largemouth to a lesser extent. They also have catfish and trout. A boat is best for bass. I haven't been in years due to the cost of fuel so can't give a current report.

I miss fishing...

I've been in Washington since the mid-80s and I cannot say that I am ever fish for bass up here. Too many big salmonoids for me until the he last decade. I like lake fishing now.

ive just never wanted to mess with all of the rules and regulations that go along with fishing for salmon. Back in Ohio in was pretty much get your license for $15 bucks and catch whatever.

that said I would like to get into trout fishing. One of the wife's coworker is suppose to be giving away a lot fly fishing stuff to us. I figured if I can get most of the stuff to start for free I'll give it a whirl.

Been hitting the bays hard this year... Dumb phone won't let me share pictures tho...
Last year I caught a largemouth that must have been pushin' 8lbs.

Used to fish smallmouoth on the upper Siletz back in the day when the steelhead were not biting.. which was every trip. Think i disapointed my dad for giving up on the stealhead but atleast I was catching. ;)
they were only a lb or 2 but on ultralight gear it was a blast

Biggest largemouth bass I caught in Oregon was in Unity Reservoir in June years ago.

They have smallmouth too.

And a fabulous trout fishery. Trolling for trout from a boat with Koke sized flashers and a Rebel Wee Craw behind the flasher string. (and a snubber between the flasher string and the main line)

f76_75.jpg
Note: take the front hook off, and replace the rear with a red Gamakatsu treble or single hook

Luhr-Jensen flasher string:
hqdefault.jpg

And a snubber is a must (trout have soft mouths):
Nd9GcRcuSsSC7OjJomaeMufprolF3kOPn6OQSmL7g&usqp=CAU.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR