JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
After a bit of Thought I have settled on four weapons if things go downhill.

Handgun, I acquired an fnp 45 some years ago, it has capacity, accuracy and intimidation going for it. But I also have a 1911 that I built on a Caspian race ready frame. Pretty gun, probably keep it as back up.

Shotgun, an early 80's Remington 870 wingmaster magnum. Picked this one up recently, was looking for an 1100 but this presented itself, and was a great deal. Looking for a 26 inch barrel now. Always preferred a steel receiver over alloy for balance and recoil absorption. Still looking for an 1100, sort of.

Carbine, an AR15 of course, in the process on this one. Likely to be an 18" barrel with a fixed m16a2 stock, would like to go with an a2 type upper and front sight base, but will likely get a removable carry handle and front sight, it's just easier.

Bolt action rifle, another one in the works. Likely a model 70 Winchester either a classic or a push feed. Laminate or composite stock, 26" barrel, fixed sights and a scope (leupold vx I or II variable) steel bases steel rings. Caliber? .30 at a minimum, can't make up my mind. .30/'06 Makes sense, but I still look wistfully at 300win mag. Both make for good long range calibers.
Why a model 70? I like the integral recoil lug, flat bottomed receivers, easily adjustable simple trigger, and the large locking lugs.

Your thoughts and choices are similar to mine...
( Yes I actually do own some cartridge firing guns...:D )

Mine would be my :
Series '70 Colt in .45acp...
Either my 1962 870 Wingmaster in 20 gauge...it is the first gun that I owned and shoots and handles like a dream...
Or
870 Wingmaster "Police" model from 1981...
I really do own a AR15 Carbine...and it shoots nicely...
Last would be my J.C. Higgins model 50 in .30-06...it is a FN Belgium Mauser Commercial action with a barrel that is chrome lined made by High Standard and was sold by Sears in the 1950's and '60s.

Any of the above are just good , solid , no nonsense working guns , that while boring to some , just plain work.
Andy

I would think a reliable package including a pistol and a long gun would be ideal. Whether its a Hipoint or a Sig. Combine that with a shotgun, lever or AR. Will it shoot? Can you shoot it?

Ive learned to shoot most realistic types of guns I could encounter except a lever rifle. I'm less of a shotgun fan these days but they obviously serve a purpose.

2011 series 1911 G.I. length, ( with .22 top end) Colt 607 ( C.A.R. 16) FN/FAL, 1903A4 "Stalking Rifle" in .30/06!
I have bounced back and forth on a .22 and a shotgun, but ended up with a .22 conversion for the C.A.R. and a top end for the 1911, and decided to forgo the shotgun! its an awful big tool for a small amount of ammo, hardly practical for it's limited use!

A pistol on the hip, a long gun in hand and 2 slung?

This ain't call of duty:D:p.

Now spread out between my wife and daughter...

Daughter would have a .22
Wife an AR
I'd take the shotgun and pistol

If I had a 4th person I'd give them the shotgun and I'd sling the 30-06.

In reality I'm bunkering in and will have the safes contents spread out around the house;)

I've been watching a lot of walking dead and other zombie movies lately.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter.

Seems like only idiots survive at the end.

At least according to the TV.

Lashing the extra weapons to an external frame backpack system might be the best way to go if you are gonna lug the whole shebang, along with ammo in bandoliers and pouches on the backpack frame, but all that weight, plus whatever sustenance and clothing and kit you need? Might be best to use a cart of some sort :rolleyes: or a setup similar to this; maybe with quick release buckles if ya gotta stash quickly and move around.
ffbfb45e6c32c518ffff8ffcffffe417.jpg

Lashing the extra weapons to an external frame backpack system might be the best way to go if you are gonna lug the whole shebang, along with ammo in bandoliers and pouches on the backpack frame, but all that weight, plus whatever sustenance and clothing and kit you need? Might be best to use a cart of some sort :rolleyes: or a setup similar to this; maybe with quick release buckles if ya gotta stash quickly and move around.
View attachment 565549
I was thinking of a bug out donkey, but that might work.

When it really, really comes down to it, i'd take my Mossberg 500 nothing special and my G19, again nothing special. Why? They both work 100% of the time and I'm 100% confident I can use them under stress. Anything else would be a luxury in my opinion

It seems to me that, since an AR-15 could take all sorts of game (including 2-legged varmints) n a pinch, that the 4th firearm should be a 22, probably a 10/22 type rifle. You could carry so much more 22 ammo than 30-06!

View attachment 565549
She could pull me all day long on that thing.

I think concealment will matter above all else for survival. What situation will you be running around with an 18" AR? Other than full blown civil war? How many of you are planning to fight in that? Do you have a group, coms, food, gas, all the other crap you need to wage a war?

If not, A good full-size handgun with large capacity that you can shoot really well is invaluable.

Also think about very short SBR with folding stock in 300 blk or similar, or a pistol caliber.

Shotguns seem too heavy and large to me, unless something like a super shorty or sawed off SXS.

These threads are always fun. They can derail so quickly and every person has a different envisioned idea of what 'situation' they will be armed up for.

I think video games and movies play heavily into the severe unrealistic plans people have for what they will carry around in any event. Most people are out of shape, can't haul the weight they think they can haul and don't really consider that in 3 days they can die of dehydration.

I think most people who are "into" freedom and own firearms have likely more than an adequate supply of them. Food, water, medical supplies for prolonged periods of time that going to the grocery store and picking up more isn't an option. Probably not nearly as much. I know I don't.

I think concealment will matter above all else for survival. What situation will you be running around with an 18" AR? Other than full blown civil war? How many of you are planning to fight in that? Do you have a group, coms, food, gas, all the other crap you need to wage a war?

If not, A good full-size handgun with large capacity that you can shoot really well is invaluable.

Also think about very short SBR with folding stock in 300 blk or similar, or a pistol caliber.

Shotguns seem too heavy and large to me, unless something like a super shorty or sawed off SXS.

Care to explain why you think shotguns are too big/heavy? My Mossbergs are hardly any bigger than an AR15, especially when you factor in magazines, optics and all the other neat-o stuff people like to pile on and it certainly isn't heavier. 18.5" bbl and a 5 Rd tube I just can't see being a significant burden

This is why G26 and SUB-2000 with bunch of happy sticks.

Last Edited:
Care to explain why you think shotguns are too big/heavy? My Mossbergs are hardly any bigger than an AR15, especially when you factor in magazines, optics and all the other neat-o stuff people like to pile on and it certainly isn't heavier. 18.5" bbl and a 5 Rd tube I just can't see being a significant burden

Compared to a 16" they are not too large, but compared to a 6" barrel 300 blk with a Compact PDW style or folding stock, or even better an MCX style gun that can fire with the stock folded, the AR wins out.

Think concealable in a large jacket or backpack. Also the AR can be split in half quickly. Not to mention 20-30 rds on tap as opposed to 5.

As to gizmos on guns, they are easy to make fun of, but have you tried shooting in the dark without a flashlight?

A mini RDS and a pistol style WML mounted on top of the gun in front of the front sight takes up very little room and weight, and also give you a backup for your pistol light or visa-versa if one goes down, along with common batteries.

SIG MCX Rattler SBR

Modern Outfitters' MC6 PDW: The Ultimate .300 BLK Truck Gun

C2FE3841-315E-41AC-A33E-6D4006A39228.jpeg
D27A8776-1B9A-4407-AC7B-90836BD4F425.jpeg
CD9CA79D-DBF4-4FB1-9FB9-0025BD3C7A0F.jpeg
4361AA01-AF18-412D-8D44-072AA43D9456.jpeg
C9D82AD8-321D-42CB-BCE6-F948BFFA1C4B.jpeg
EC4AD0F0-A48A-4B1F-AD12-C7060564C360.jpeg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads