JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I didn't quite know where to put this and my apologies if this has been covered before. The warden has asked me to put my Christmas wish list together and have it on her desk by no later than 0600, 25 November.

Besides the custom Nighthawk 1911 (which I ask for every year btw) I would like a basic gun Smith kit to work on some of my guns. You have any suggestions I can give Ms. Klaus and where she could find one?

Thanks

First thing you must have is a proper screwdriver set for gun screws:

<broken link removed>

Then a good high quality steel, a poly and a brass punch set with a gunsmith hammer set with plastic, brass and steel hammer heads. Look at Midway and Brownells for those. Also consider getting steel cleaning rods for your various calibers, IMO Dewey brand poly coated are the best

Look at both Wheeler Engineering and Brownells, both will have what you're looking for.

PLEASE do not look at your local hardware store for such tools...in most cases, they won't do!

A good screwdriver set, as mentioned above. Along with a standard punch set, I prefer Starrett. I like Brownells combo hammer...brass on one side, and nylon on the other. Files from Nicholson or Grobet...Swiss cut pillar in 2 & 4 in narrow with a length at least 6"...8" is ok as well. And a good bench block. The 4" round nylon model from Brownells in the one I use a lot. But Wheeler has an excellent model as well. There's is more for a 1911, but can be used for other guns. The Brownells block is more generic.

Thanks Gents, I passed along the info. BTW We got a compliment on getting the above in such a timely manner. Now please excuse me I have to go and get ready for inspection. :s0155:

Starrett make great punches. But my advice would be to get Craftsman for the smaller punches. They break. A lot if they get used a lot. Doesn't matter if they say starrett or craftsman. But you can take a broken craftsman punch down to the local Sears or TruValue (or wherever carries them) and they will exchange it, no questions asked. I'm on my fourth or fifth, and they've never questioned the exchange.
I like the wheeler engineering screwdriver set. It is also beneficial to get an inch/pound torque wrench. Wheeler makes one, as does Brownell's. If you plan on mounting scoped or removing and reinstalling stocks, this is worth its weight in gold.

So I'd say try this list:
Punch set
Nylon/Brass head hammer
smooth jaw hemostat
inch/pound torque wrench
nice set of calipers

A gift certificate to Brownells is always an acceptable gift and can help avoid the annoyance of returning and reordering and waiting if it's not exactly what you want.

Mountainbear, unfortunately Sears will only replace a broken tool once, now.. they altered their warranty post facto and as a result I no longer buy Craftsman tools, although I have a roller chest full of them and yard tools

Mountainbear, unfortunately Sears will only replace a broken tool once, now.. they altered their warranty post facto and as a result I no longer buy Craftsman tools, although I have a roller chest full of them and yard tools

Wonder when they changed that policy. I've exchanged the same punch twice in the last two months. They've never questioned me. I hope that doesn't change...

Wonder when they changed that policy. I've exchanged the same punch twice in the last two months. They've never questioned me. I hope that doesn't change...

The change came many years ago. Unless they changed it back, it's just your local Sears either not following corporate policy or being nice to you. Less said to them the better. Years ago I came upon an antique Sears Craftsman wheelbarrow that was rusted out and you would have thought I was trying to pull a stickup on them from the reaction, and after they gave me the new model I was told it would not be replaced again, lifetime means you get one replacement

Yep, I've even said that I was on multiple replacements. Either way, I'm happy with them so far. But I half expect the reaction you got every time I go in. Thankfully, our Bend Sears is closing. I checked with the TruValue and they said they now owned the brand and would be happy to replace it. Hopefully that continues.

That right there would have made me look for a "Quality" punch set... just sayin...
I too have so many Craftsman hand tools from back in the day, wondering with my eyesight fading if they will trade me the ones with the laser etched ones??? Doubt it...

I want to give a great big thanks to all of those who took the time to respond to my question. This thread has gone viral amongst my family! For the first Christmas since God made dirt I won't have shirts, sweaters, socks taking up room in a closet, and plastic talking fish hanging on the wall in my den and singing beer drinking songs every time I walk by. Gents... a tip of the hat to ya :s0155:

That right there would have made me look for a "Quality" punch set... just sayin...
I too have so many Craftsman hand tools from back in the day, wondering with my eyesight fading if they will trade me the ones with the laser etched ones??? Doubt it...

A reasonable thought Jim, however, I didn't buy the craftsman punch until I had already broke two starrett punches. I also abuse my small punches. It's one of the few times I break the rule my grandfather taught me about only using tools for their intended purposes...

I have the Brownell's screwdriver set with the additional/optional tools. I think it ran around $130. or so with the extras. It's sometning I couldn't do without.

I also have four of the "Gun Digest" Assembly/Dissassembly manuals. I have the semi-automatic pistols, revolver, centerfire rifle and shotgun manuals. They're around thirty bucks apiece and worth every penny. Between them and the interwebz, most tasks can be accomplished with a minimum of cuts, scrapes and foul language.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top