JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For certain Guilty, you are missing the entire point.

No need for ESP - The fact that had any of those other cars called for help - by the time Mr. Austin and I got to him - the state cops and the Halsey fire & rescue guys would've been there already. I wish I could remember the OSP sgt's name, but he was first on scene. He was there within five minutes maybe less, and the Halsey Fire Dept was there only a moment or two later. So if any one of those people who kept driving around the stopped car had called for help - it wouldn't have been necessary for me or the other fellow to stop. Help would have been there already.

Traffic was not moving at full speed - it was moving slow overall thanks to the heavy traffic from the football games in Eugene and Corvallis - probably one of the saving factors that kept things from being deadly that night - had we been doing 60, or even 40 when this guy had his issues - there would've been serious injuries or fatalities for sure.

The point is literally a hundred or more people passing by and not acting. The cars that went around him were all able to assess the situation. His windows weren't tinted. Just looking over it would have been clear the guy was having problems. It's about doing the right thing for the sake of doing the right thing - in spite of inconvenience or even at the increased personal risk. Not out of a sense of duty - moral or legal - but simply because it's a good thing to do.

I'd made plenty of money Saturday before ever realizing this guy existed. My concern for this man's health and safety was far greater than that. That I did wind up with a paying job out of it was simply a nice coincidence to the whole situation.

And this thread isn't about me, or my actions. Or even those of Mr. Austin - even though he's a positive example here. But to dispel some ideas some folks may be forming, it's not about making money for me - if that was my primary motivator I would've found other employment long ago as there are far higher paying jobs that are less demanding on the body or my family. And there are jobs that pay the same that are more steady - with better hours, and benefits that I don't get. It's not about that. It's never been about that for me.

And I don't just act this way when I'm working for that matter - I do these things without the huge truck with the Christmas lights on it to alert traffic, and without getting a penny for it. I've also given plenty of help on the job to folks without charging a dime - not just free jump starts or tire changes - and I know my boss has done the same.Sometimes it's just about showing kindness and good will.

I ask myself - what would I want if it were my wife, my mother, or any of my loved ones in that situation? For me its about being an example of what I'd like to see in others, and being a positive role model for my young son.

Yes, I wish more people were a bit more thoughtful of others. Maybe the ripple effect from small actions like that would cause a bigger shift in our society and we'd all be better off for it. Some folks just don't get it.

I think you guys are reinforcing the OPs message. Humanity means stopping to help even when you don't have to.
When I worked for AAA we were told not to help people unless we were dispatched. But I changed countless tires, unlocked countless cars, and jumped countless dead batteries for people who didn't have memberships, but they needed some help.
I do the same thing now for people. Always keep cables, a floor jack, and unlock tools in my car.

And in the OPs case the guy had a medical or health situation. It's takes a POS nit to stop and help for 5 mins.
If it was your family member you would want someone to help.

So let me get this straight. The OP is out driving a tow truck, on duty for his job, and he is "a little bit pissed and disappointed in mankind" because other drivers, who were not on duty driving a tow truck, didn't immediately stop in heavy traffic in the middle of the highway to help a driver of a stalled vehicle.
Since when is it prudent to stop in the middle lane of heavy traffic on the highway and exit your vehicle? Many people don't want to get involved now days, especially when helping someone might put your own life in danger, like walking around the middle lane of the highway during busy traffic with a stalled vehicle.
To the OP, it could be that the people who drove by were not physically able or prepared to stop and assist, and I doubt that your ESP enables you to know if anybody actually called 911 to report the traffic problem. It sure was nice that while you were on duty driving a tow truck that you were able to provide assistance and you got paid for it. If you really were providing assistance due to your overwhelming compassion for mankind, you would not have accepted payment and you would not be bragging to others about how you helped someone, while getting paid for helping them.

Had some time to ponder my statement I made earlier and decided to post it after all.

You are part of the problem and not the solution...

I wanted to post this earlier - but this weekend kicked my bubblegum at work. Saturday and Sunday both stretched into 15 hour days. It's a bit of a rant - so be warned.

On Saturday I was involved in an incident that really soured me on humanity, at least in general.

A little back story - Saturday was really busy for me - I started my day with a run down to Gold Hill. It's an all day round trip. I left Portland with the customer's vehicle about 10AM - delivered vehicle around 3:30. Stopped for lunch on the way back at Wolf Creek. Hit traffic northbound south of Cottage Grove. Saw a horrible multi-vehicle accident northbound, police and EMS and ODOT were just getting to work when I passed by, plus Duck & Beaver traffic from Eugene onward. Once I slogged up near Halsey/Brownsville - traffic went from a slow crawl to a dead stand still, then slooooowly it started moving again. I happened to be in the hammer lane and as we crept northward, I started to notice cars waaaay ahead of me diverting around an object in our lane. I figured maybe someone hit a deer, lost a load, or some other debris was in the lane. No one was stopping to remove it - I figured WTF - I'll get close and take care of it if no one else would.

As I neared the object - I realized it was a car. Stopped dead center in the highway, again, we're in the hammer lane. There's NO hazard lights on the car, it's just stopped. No one else had bothered to stop and check on the vehicle, until myself and a young gentleman that was right ahead of me stopped.

As I approached the car I saw the driver slumped over the wheel, head down, and honestly my first reaction was "oh **** I hope the dude's not dead" - the young guy started dialing 911 while I checked on the guy. Thank GOD the man was not dead - but he wasn't conscious - not until I kind of shook him and started talking to him. His car was still in drive and thank god BMW's don't take a lot of pressure to apply and hold the brakes. He had no idea he was in the traffic lane when he came to - and he said he had been having chest pains and shortness of breath.

We got him off the road - got EMS personnel on scene - and got traffic flowing again. The guy turned out to be alright - at least in the sense that he wasn't dead, didn't cause a wreck, and EMS crew decided he did not need to go to the hospital right then and there - his vitals had returned to normal, but the EMS folks and the state trooper who responded did not want him driving home. Guy also happend to have a AAA plus membership - so I wound up towing his car home (I would've done it even had he NOT been a AAA member or even if he didn't have two nickels to rub together - I wouldn't want to see him hurt himself or someone else, and the boss is an understanding sort with a soft spot so he would've approved in any event)

We were still in heavy ducks/beavers traffic all the way from Albany to Woodburn - so I had a good long time to chat with the guy. Nice guy, runs a software company, travels all over the damn country, and he figured he was just exhausted from too much travel and it was taking it's toll on his health.

During the drive back north, and while we were at the scene on the side of the highway, I could not help but be just a little bit pissed and disappointed in mankind - as I'd been in that traffic backup he was causing for quite a while - and at LEAST a hundred cars passed him/drove around him before the other fellow and I got to him and stopped to check on him - and not one god damned other car so much as stopped. From what we could gather - no one called 911 either to even report a car stopped in the hammer lane on the freeway. I mean - this guy might've had a mild heart attack - he could've been having a major heart attack or a stroke - and no one else stopped to help or check on him. Dude could've actually died at the wheel for god sake. All those people ahead of us just went around him like he was just an obstacle.

Maybe it's just my personality - or a decade plus on the job, or maybe it's because I've been stuck in bad situations before when no one would stop to help or check on us - I have a damn hard time passing someone that appears to be in distress, and its almost compulsory for me to stop and check on people if something appears amiss. WTF is wrong with humanity in general that we've gotten to the point where people won't take a minute to make sure someone is OK when they see something out of the ordinary. I'm willing to bet that a good number of those cars that drove around him were honking, throwing up their middle fingers, and coming up with creative curses to spit at him.

Hell - on an even less disastrous note - when I finally got back into town at 11PM last night I stopped at Winco in Hillsboro to grab a heat & eat dinner - and a lady in a Ford Sport Trac was parked ahead of me and had her hood up and I could see she needed a jump. Gave her a jump (freeby) just because it was the right thing to do. Other shoppers were nearby - no one seemed to even give notice to her nor did I see anyone else attempting to help. It just pisses me off that we as a whole seem to be turning into a me me me me me mindset. Maybe our society is doomed.

Are we that afraid of others that we can't risk talking to someone, or getting involved if we see something is amiss? Are we so blind by the myriad of distractions that no one pays attention to what's going on - they ignore that which does not fit into their preordained idea of what should be? Or is it selfishness, ignorance, apathy? What is wrong with people?

I don't know if that young man from last night is a member here - I know he's a gun owner (we had a short chat about carry pieces - his was a Sig 226 - and his empty serpa holster while the cop and EMS were doing their thing :D) and seemed like a nice guy. I think his name was Austin (could've been his first or last but I remember that was one of the names he gave the trooper), and he was from Junction City. If he his I'd like to congratulate him on being a damned fine human being and showing a bit of compassion for others. If he's not - I still want to congratulate him and say that there are at least a few good souls roaming among us.

Rant over.

Dear Sir,

I present to you the following song by Phil Ochs:

If I were driving a large rig( F450?) with a light bar I'd have no qualms about stopping on the freeway. Otherwise depends.
Don't be so hard on Guilty, he just seemed a bit harsh but I understand his message. Stopping in the middle of the road in today's world is highly risky. You can't say for sure if you want to risk your's or your families life and property tonight? When driving the highways in the Willamette just look around and see how many people are NOT paying attention to the road! I hate the idea of being parked on the edge of it.

If I were driving a large rig( F450?) with a light bar I'd have no qualms about stopping on the freeway. Otherwise depends.
Don't be so hard on Guilty, he just seemed a bit harsh but I understand his message. Stopping in the middle of the road in today's world is highly risky. You can't say for sure if you want to risk your's or your families life and property tonight? When driving the highways in the Willamette just look around and see how many people are NOT paying attention to the road! I hate the idea of being parked on the edge of it.

I saw Highway not Freeway in the OP... As well as "traffic crawling".

I drive a 4 door white sedan and have numerous times stopped and been the car that turns on the hazards and helps block some traffic so the situation can be assessed.

There appears to be two different types of people.

Those out for themselves and theirs or those that are willing to help because that's what they would want someone else to do for our loved ones.

Y'all that keep driving because you aren't in a tow truck or simi are the problems - don't try to justify it to us, we know it; Its yourselves that need to do a double take at how your living.

Christian or not (I am not), the Golden Rule applies to EVERYONE, and inconvenience is not an excuse.

Well if he would have read the post,he would have know the guy was BLOCKING THE LANE and SLUMPED OVER in the drivers seat
If the traffic is almost STOPPED because of this,I see no safety threat to try to get him off the road.
I mean since the lane he was in was stopped and the other lanes were full of looky loos

So let me get this straight. The OP is out driving a tow truck, on duty for his job, and he is "a little bit pissed and disappointed in mankind" because other drivers, who were not on duty driving a tow truck, didn't immediately stop in heavy traffic in the middle of the highway to help a driver of a stalled vehicle.
Since when is it prudent to stop in the middle lane of heavy traffic on the highway and exit your vehicle? Many people don't want to get involved now days, especially when helping someone might put your own life in danger, like walking around the middle lane of the highway during busy traffic with a stalled vehicle.
To the OP, it could be that the people who drove by were not physically able or prepared to stop and assist, and I doubt that your ESP enables you to know if anybody actually called 911 to report the traffic problem. It sure was nice that while you were on duty driving a tow truck that you were able to provide assistance and you got paid for it. If you really were providing assistance due to your overwhelming compassion for mankind, you would not have accepted payment and you would not be bragging to others about how you helped someone, while getting paid for helping them.
:s0123::s0154:

Hey, we turned into ifish now?

I saw Highway not Freeway in the OP... As well as "traffic crawling".

Wolf Creek, Cottage Grove, Eugene, Albany. Sounds like freeway to me.

There appears to be two different types of people.

Many types of people out there, not just two. I wasn't there so I'm not sure how I'd react, for sure.

Y'all that keep driving because you aren't in a tow truck or simi are the problems - don't try to justify it to us, we know it; Its yourselves that need to do a double take at how your living.

This tells me about you I guess, seems like you know me really well. Have we met? Wish I was perfect.

Well if he would have read the post,he would have know the guy was BLOCKING THE LANE and SLUMPED OVER in the drivers seat
If the traffic is almost STOPPED because of this,I see no safety threat to try to get him off the road.
I mean since the lane he was in was stopped and the other lanes were full of looky loos

I read the post, did you read mine? 100% sure I'd stop if I were driving an "Emergency Vehicle".

Neither one of you knows me yet you think you have the right to judge the kind of person I am for one post throwing another possibility out there? Nice.

I read the post, did you read mine? 100% sure I'd stop if I were driving an "Emergency Vehicle".
I was more talking about the other dude reading the post.And 'emergency vehicle ' or not,you may have had to stop in the lane before you wee able to merge to get around the guy.
But really,you would just drive around a guy that was slumped over in a vehicle?
Neither one of you knows me yet you think you have the right to judge the kind of person I am for one post throwing another possibility out there? Nice.
Now you are judging me when I don't believe I was judging you at all.
I guess it's just that 'we' can always make excuses for not doing something.

@Mikej Not sure why you are surprised that you got some heat when you jumped into a conversation on the less popular opinion.

If you really want to discuss the points you posted we should take it to a private conversation; otherwise I'm fine letting it go as is.

Only thing we have to judge a person, or assertain their character, online is by what they post. I'm always happy to meet a fellow member for coffee and a nice chat if you ever want to get to know me and visa versa. I'm close to Janzen Beach.

I was more talking about the other dude reading the post.And 'emergency vehicle ' or not,you may have had to stop in the lane before you wee able to merge to get around the guy.
But really,you would just drive around a guy that was slumped over in a vehicle?

No.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads