JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sorry but I'm going to be that guy. This is not a good video to show new firearms owners how to unload guns. She is moving way too fast, she is not physically checking the chamber and magazine well (something that I know all shooters don't do but new shooters should slow down and be taught), she doesn't even visually check the chamber area of the AR and then the coup de gras is she says not to point a gun at someone when you hand it to them (good advice) and then points the gun at herself, with the slide forward.

If someone acted that cavalier handling firearms at a range they would be gone in a heartbeat. I like stuff from Turning Point USA but they really needed to stay in their lane with this one.

Please like and subscribe. Don't forget to follow me on my Tik Tok, Twitter and Instagram. Naughty stuff is on my only fans.

Sorry but I'm going to be that guy. This is not a good video to show new firearms owners how to unload guns. She is moving way too fast, she is not physically checking the chamber and magazine well (something that I know all shooters don't do but new shooters should slow down and be taught), she doesn't even visually check the chamber area of the AR and then the coup de gras is she says not to point a gun at someone when you hand it to them (good advice) and then points the gun at herself, with the slide forward.

If someone acted that cavalier handling firearms at a range they would be gone in a heartbeat. I like stuff from Turning Point USA but they really needed to stay in their lane with this one.
But she does reiterate that one should check the chamber after the mag has been removed on a semi-auto, because pulling the mag doesn't mean the gun's unloaded.
RARELY do you see someone actually address that issue.
It's not enough to just say, "pull the mag, rack the slide". You gotta tell'em WHY and she does that.
It may not be the greatest safety video ever produced, but its clear and concise.
She says her piece and ends the vid.
It shouldn't take a 10 minute video to teach someone to make sure the gun is empty, after unloading it.

But she does reiterate that one should check the chamber after the mag has been removed on a semi-auto, because pulling the mag doesn't mean the gun's unloaded.
It's not enough to just say, "pull the mag, rack the slide". You gotta tell'em WHY and she does that.
It may not be the greatest safety video ever produced, but its clear and concise.
She says her piece and ends the vid.
It shouldn't take a 10 minute video to teach someone to make sure the gun is empty, after unloading it.
Didn't hear a word she said was 2 busy watching her bounce around sorry

You are very correct regarding that aspect. Many folks get shot because of this and it does need to be emphasized. I don't want to be a jerk toward them as I'm sure their motives and intentions were pure. I just think if you are going to do a video or other training, especially that new shooters will be using, one is ethically obligated to take it seriously.

You can have fun with it, but to me they kinda threw the baby out with the bath water; made a good point but had several pretty serious safety issues while doing so.

I get that current culture is visual, video driven. This can be great. When it comes to safety or training content, too many underestimate the complexity of doing it well. Appreciate you posting!

Firearm safety is important.
A video that teaches and models firearm safety , as well as reaching a large audience is a good thing.

With that said....
While firearm safety is indeed important..
How that is done and what that looks like may be different for different folks , different firearms
and different situations / conditions.

Speaking for myself...
I dislike the manual safeties...and rarely use one.
In fact most of the guns that I own and shoot often , do not have a manual safety , other than a "half cock notch".
Keeping my finger off the trigger until I am ready to shoot , in addition to always pointing the muzzle of the firearm in a safe direction...
Works well for me here.
How others go about this , will differ.
Also how one goes about checking and clearing a muzzle loading firearm is different that with a breech loading cartridge gun.

In any event ....
Some good basic information is presented in the video...
It would be good to remember that "target audience" for this video is not some one who is already familiar with firearms...
But a person who is new to firearms.
Andy

Says the guy that packs a 1911. :s0153:

I have used the thumb safety with my 1911...
Doesn't mean that I like it or even think that it is useful*

Did you not fully read my post ?

I ask the above because in my 1st post here....which you only quoted part of...
I also said this:
"In fact most of the guns that I own and shoot often , do not have a manual safety , other than a half cock notch."

Note the use of the word "most" in the above quote.

The one example that you have shown is an exception and not a rule , in regards to most of my firearms.
Andy

*Edit to add :
When JMB designed the 1911 , he did not have the thumb safety...the army wanted that modification.
In any event...
Finger off the trigger , until I am ready to shoot and keeping my muzzle pointed in a safe direction is my preferred method of firearm safety...not my only one.

Last Edited:
Agree about seriousness of the topic. Doing a video for entertainment and to create income from people linking to the video is not as effective as a video that takes it seriously imo. It sets up the new shooter for failure. A new shooter should take gun safety extremely seriously imo. It's a mindset you adopt where you "make the rules part of your personality" (Col. Cooper's words) and commit to never break the 4 rules of gun safety.

A couple examples of serious videos on gun safety:

Last Edited:
Agree about seriousness of the topic. Doing a video for entertainment and to create income from people linking to the video is not as effective as a video that takes it seriously imo. It sets up the new shooter for failure. A new shooter should take gun safety extremely seriously imo. It's a mindset you adopt where you "change your personality" (Col. Cooper's words) and commit to never break the 4 rules of gun safety.
Just re-watched the video and fail to see where, at any point in the video, she is not taking gun safety seriously,
The whole point of the video is that gun safety is a serious thing. I don't see how you could've missed that.
Just because she did it in an "entertaining" manner doesn't mean she still wasn't serious about gun safety.

Did you not fully read my post ?

I ask the above because in my 1st post here....which you only quoted part of...
I also said this:
"In fact most of the guns that I own and shoot often , do not have a manual safety , other than a half cock notch."

Note the use of the word "most" in the above quote.

The one example that you have shown is an exception and not a rule , in regards to most of my firearms.
Andy
Yes, I did and I'm just poking fun at you.

*Edit to add :
When JMB designed the 1911 , he did not have the thumb safety...the army wanted that modification.
I knew that was the case with the palm grip safety but was unware (or purged those memory cells) that was the case with the thumb safety as well. See, poking fun has garnished some fruit.

IMHO......
The 1st rule is......

Dont_like_guns.jpg

Or.....if it's NOT YOURS. Don't touch it. Duh!

Now, quit trying to DENY me my RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS.

Aloha, Mark

PS......it's the PERSON who commits a CRIME. A gun is an inanimate object.

Last Edited:
I'm firmly in the Col. Cooper and Clint Smith safety camp.
I agree. I live it, and teach it to my kids. Safety is everything when handling guns.

I do have one minor issue with the basic safety rules as they are preached, but it's strictly semantics. Does the term "Every gun is always loaded" bother anyone but me?

In the above video, Cooper takes issue with those who say "Treat every gun as if it were loaded".

I tell my kids "Assume every gun is loaded", but my overly logical brain rejects the "Every gun is always loaded" statement, because it is technically not true. Yes, I understand the purpose of the statement, and have no problem with it being taught as a safety rule because it is effective at getting the extremely important concept across, but for me personally it just doesn't work.

For example, my 11yo son is very literal minded, probably more than me. We were handling and talking about guns one day, and having the requisite safety talk. I read the safety rules to him, and the wording as it was written was "every gun is always loaded". He looked at me with a very confused look of his face. "But Dad, this one here isn't loaded. We just checked it twice; how can it still be loaded??"

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top