JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Recently a 22 year old man made the news by warding off a would be knife attacker by firing his .22 pistol in the air as a warning shot (while in city limits). Most of who have been around firearms for awhile and have gotten some training know you don't fire "warning shots". This brings me back to my title, "Basic firearm safety in schools," why don't we have it offered to seniors as part of a health curriculum?:confused: We teach our children about the dangers and consequences of tobacco, drugs:s0087:, unprotected intercourse:woot: and STD's:complain:. But when it comes to firearms it's "are you over 18? Then here you go." (paraphrasing the process obviously). Parents, as always, should be the cornerstone to educating their children. But lets face it, not all of them know, understand, or agree with owning or using a firearm nor some of the basic legal consequences of using one. I am in no way saying that a class should be required for purchasing/owning a firearm, but of all the things our children are taught in school the closest thing they get to a class in firearms is a history lesson on the constitution. Thoughts?

I got my hunters safety done as an elective PE class. I wish they still offered that.

I would be happier if they required mandatory study of the constituion.

Mandatory firearms safety should absolutely be taught in public school. Along with personal finance, sex education and Government. I think none of these are on the syllabus anymore though. Breed them dumb, just as planned.

Fill in the gaps at home people. Don't think school will do everything for you. Two decades of No Child Left Behind has shown us that public education leaves a lot to be desired.

It used to be taught and we shot .22 rifles in school at a range under the theatre seats(basement) sometimes a rat would come out and the teacher would say fire at "Will" good ole' days

As much as I like the idea I also know the goubement doesn't want smart kids it wants idiots so they will follow the rules and they sure don't want kids to know how to shoot because that would be another body they have to worried about when tshtf

All three of my daughters (ages 4-7) also shoot and get basic firearm safety trained to the point they are bored whenever daddy breaks out the guns. Not every child has parents that do, or do properly, hence my question/idea of providing a universal (professionally taught) aspect of firearm safety to our students before we send them out to Wally World for there first 30-06. I'm not even suggesting trying to get guns into the class (the hell involved with that is unimaginable) more so a simple structured environment to introduced firearm history, damage, responsibility and potential legality of owning one. Kind of like when they used to tell you all the negative of having unprotected intercourse with your prom date hoping to reduce teen pregnancy. It's not going to take for everyone, but it shows measurable and accountable effort from all parties.

It used to be taught and we shot .22 rifles in school at a range under the theatre seats(basement) sometimes a rat would come out and the teacher would say fire at "Will" good ole' days

I taught there for over 20 years until the split that sent the 9th graders to the high schools
The range under the auditorium at the old Hillsboro High/MidHigh/JB Thomas was still in use into the early 90s.
Even after the Hunter Safety in PE was dropped local groups used the range.
What closed it was not "anti-gun" nuts but the amount of lead in the air down there not to mention asbestos........it was pretty nasty under there ;^(

Here it is in all it's glory ;^)

I know a couple schools in the david douglas school district have shooting ranges, but as mentioned earlier, they were shut down because of poor ventilation, and asbestos. Though, the reason they were not renovated was because of the anti gun nuts.

Prairie high in clark county,and some other schools do still fiedl shooting teams.they get little mention of glory because shooting is so taboo these day,but they can shoot a gnats eye out @ 50 feet.yes,a lot of them shoot 'bb guns'...expensive and accurate pellet rifles...but there are some local kids' groups that shoot all kinds of other 'real' guns too.
vancouver rifle and pistol club,and wolverton mt. gun club have excellent staff,and top notch young shooters.

It should be taught in all schools,and the NRA has offered it's services for years,yet few take advantage of their offer.

I taught there for over 20 years until the split that sent the 9th graders to the high schools
The range under the auditorium at the old Hillsboro High/MidHigh/JB Thomas was still in use into the early 90s.
Even after the Hunter Safety in PE was dropped local groups used the range.
What closed it was not "anti-gun" nuts but the amount of lead in the air down there not to mention asbestos........it was pretty nasty under there ;^(

Here it is in all it's glory ;^)

==========================================================

Wow, blast from the past, thanks for posting the picture, I was one of your students there 76-77.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top