JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Selco! I've read your stuff from another site. Everybody please welcome and pay attention to Selco. On this topic we can learn a lot from his experience and humility.

"About trade, small things, easy to carry, easy to trade, antibiotics, lighters, flints, nylon tarps, aluminum foils, cigarettes,batteries, candles... Easy to carry, easy to hide in you clothes.

Skills also have been traded, from medicine skills to sewing skills, anything useful."

Second on this.

In addition to alcohol, Lamps & accessories, small sewing kits and such to trade I also have "luxury" items like TP, face wash, shampoo and other "girly" must haves (in easy to carry travel sizes). I think that sometimes men loose sight of the fact that even if you & your family survive, these little luxuries go a long way in making surviving seem more like thriving and they cost next to nothing now. Besides, there will still be birthdays and anniversarys after TSHTF ;)

Hit the Goodwill ,Salvation Army , yard sales. Buy all the used jeans , shirts ,boots and rain gear your budget will alllow. Try to pick up verious size. Heavy coats and blankets will be sought after as soon as the temps drop.

If you can pick up 6 or so solar chargers for car batterys you could start a exchange progam for people using them to light there homes.

When it comes I'm ready. My neighbor doesn't believe in preparing, he simply hoards gold. He says when it happens he will come to me with his gold and buy what he needs. When he comes with his gold he will never leave and I'll have his gold.

Gold will most likely be to thing that kills the most.The only ones that will be buying gold will be the bad asses,with guards that have better and more guns than you.
They won't be nice people,they won't need to be. They will take the gold they want,unless you are a regular customer.And they will set the price-take it or leave dead.

A brick of gold,after TEOTWAWKI, will make a good door stop.

Oh and from the 3 good ideas thread,someone mentioned tobacco.I think this and alcohol will be better than gold.Along with some ganja

If you havent read Patriots: surging the Coming collapse, I would suggest you pick it up. It contains it's share of fluff, but it makes some good points about long term survival and some basic trade thoughts after the collapse.

Simple things will always be needed, like a bucket of soap nuts or basic gardening tools.

Gold will most likely be to thing that kills the most.The only ones that will be buying gold will be the bad asses,with guards that have better and more guns than you.
They won't be nice people,they won't need to be. They will take the gold they want,unless you are a regular customer.And they will set the price-take it or leave dead.

A brick of gold,after TEOTWAWKI, will make a good door stop.

Oh and from the 3 good ideas thread,someone mentioned tobacco.I think this and alcohol will be better than gold.Along with some ganja

I think that in TEOTWAWKI, people will kill you a lot faster for food or water than for gold. Remember, gold is for storing a lot of wealth in case you make it to the other side of TEOTWAWKI. It's for buying AFTER you have all of the wanted preps for survival and barter. It's not for SHTF use. Where else are you going to hide a lot of wealth? Surely not in paper.

Remember,most of the thieving will be done,at first.by the village idiots. If they suspect gold,they will dream of quick riches before they think of hunger.
Then so will most of the others.
It may be a tie

Remember,most of the thieving will be done,at first.by the village idiots. If they suspect gold,they will dream of quick riches before they think of hunger.
Then so will most of the others.
It may be a tie

That's why it's absolutely necessary that people don't know about your preps or where they are. As Selco said, when bartering never bring someone to your house or let them know where you live. The way it is, if I die when the SHTF, my PMs may never be found.

"books and skills wont get you rich"
Maybe not, but can save your life definitely, books like nursing drug reference, or book about small gardening.

Skills saves lives also, and skills can make you rich, easiest way is to be very skilled in some area and loose your moral, walk over dead bodies, and after everything ends(if) you can be rich, i ve seen that.

About trade, small things, easy to carry, easy to trade, antibiotics, lighters, flints, nylon tarps, aluminum foils, cigarettes,batteries, candles... Easy to carry, easy to hide in you clothes.

Skills also have been traded, from medicine skills to sewing skills, anything useful.

I have skills of all sorts, I'm a trained EMT; I can keep you alive for hours, days, weeks, maybe months.
Without meds, once infection sets in, guess what?
Have you ever seen a person with a severe infection, do you know what actually happens to the body if the victim does not die quickly?
Do you think PPL will sell antibiotics for tobacco or cheap booze? Trade for your skill as a carpenter?
I have books as well, do you think PPL will trade life saving drugs for books?

That's why it's absolutely necessary that people don't know about your preps or where they are. As Selco said, when bartering never bring someone to your house or let them know where you live. The way it is, if I die when the SHTF, my PMs may never be found.

No no no,and have a way home that you can disappear as to not be followed.I'd want to do any trading away from my property

No no no,and have a way home that you can disappear as to not be followed.I'd want to do any trading away from my property

If your vehicle still runs, put in a toggle switch to turn off the brake lights, so when you go to brake if there is a loose tail at night they will not know you are braking to turn off and you will disappear around a corner, pull into a driveway duck down shut off the vehicle and they will drive right by.

I have skills of all sorts, I'm a trained EMT; I can keep you alive for hours, days, weeks, maybe months.
Without meds, once infection sets in, guess what?
Have you ever seen a person with a severe infection, do you know what actually happens to the body if the victim does not die quickly?
Do you think PPL will sell antibiotics for tobacco or cheap booze? Trade for your skill as a carpenter?
I have books as well, do you think PPL will trade life saving drugs for books?

I guess this questions are for me?
Of course i ve seen person with severe infection, and i am definitely know what happens with that person if does not dies quickly, i am (and i was) registered nurse (also i am certified EMT too) with years of experience in ER.

And yes people will sell antibiotics for cheap booze and tobacco, people did that, addicts stay addicts. No i do not think people will sell drugs for books. People will sell drugs for skills that you learn from that books.
For example, you are EMT so you going to sell your knowledge of CPR or dealing with wound treatment, or to intubate someone and keep him alive for something (if you want)
I did similar things.
So point is, have books and learn skills (now), people will trade anything, depend what they need (drug, cigarettes, food, woman, someone to make cart for firewood or fix shoes or roof...)

Thanks

Tobacco, booze, sugar?
Those are luxuries - not life and death needs.
Obviously never smoked or drank much
The tobacco addiction is worse than heroin.Yes it is life or death for some.
Booze will do about the same for some
And sugar? Have you never seem the bumper sticker "Give me the chocolate and no one gets hurt" ?
Sugar won't be as good as tobacco or booze ,but it will work for some things.

I have a Croatian friend that was in the war zone. Snipers shooting at her school bus. Only problem is,she has done way too good for herself and has forgotten what that time was like.
I don't think she thinks it will happen here.
I hope she is right.

I appreciate guys like selco posting info for us

your not always going to have everything you need no matter how hard you prep, so what will you use for trade?

I good barter currency should be small, light weight, have daily comfort or survival value, and be cheep to acquire right now. keep it this way so you can carry a large variety of items when you go out looking to trade.

some things I'm overstocking for trade.

Basic first-aid items: pain killers, cold & allergy meds, antiseptics/antibiotics...

Food items: sugar, chocolate, rice, salt(think meat preservation)

Gear: fishing line, fish hooks and the like, fire stuff(matches/lighters..ect), .22lr ammo

I would recommend saving any gold for the reconstruction phase so you have some wealth when the economy starts to stabilize and there is a reliable currency in the system.

I don't believe any of this crap is going to happen but I am going to bite one time. If it did I will take what anyone has if given the chance. I will not barter or trade. I will just take........... I bit on this topic so I gave an answer. I been all over the country and thats what they do. If they have the ability to take from you thats what they do. Look at El Salvador and Columbia for example there are 2 people. Drug lords with all the money and power and the poor. There is nothing in between. Sucks doesn't it..........

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top