JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I accidentally discovered the Barsony business place today while visiting Floors with Flare, at TV Hwy In Hillsboro. The wife was waiting for me in the car so I quickly asked to show me their IWB holsters. They ask me for what kind of gun. I said, "a Shield". Then she asked me what kind of holster, and since I could not come up with a good way to describe what I wanted I proceeded to lift my shirt and show them my old IWB, with the holstered Shield. She then told me to #1 leave the store, #2 unload the gun and #3 then come back. I did #1.

They do not have a "gun free zone" sign, or anything that would tip me off. I went home and could not ditch the thought. What if I misunderstood the lady? Maybe they needed my "unloaded gun" to fit in the new holster. I called and the guy with the Russian accent took the call. After asking about horizontal mag holsters, I asked if their store was a "gun free zone". He said "no; people with unloaded guns are welcomed". Thinking that unloaded guns make poor clubs I asked if they needed my gun for fitting or something, and he said "if you come into my store with a loaded gun I will kick you out". At that point I thanked him and hung up.

Felt I should share so you know what you are dealing with in case you care.

Merry Christmas.

Last Edited:
One more on the list of those that don't need my money. They are certainly in the wrong business. I hate to wish it on them, but they need to go away.

I can see requiring a firearm to be unloaded when taking it in for repair or fitting - to prevent accidents and protect their liability for insurance.

After all, most gun shows require that you unload any firearms you bring to the show, whether they are concealed or not, and most now require some kind of action and/or trigger blocking mechanism.

I've seen some gun shops that require any firearm you bring in, if it isn't concealed, be unloaded. In general, for the sake of safety, if I am going to be taking a gun into some kind of gun business, and I am going to be handling it in that business, then I will unload it before entering that business.

So maybe this was just poor communication on the part of the business manager?

I can see requiring a firearm to be unloaded when taking it in for repair or fitting - to prevent accidents and protect their liability for insurance.

After all, most gun shows require that you unload any firearms you bring to the show, whether they are concealed or not, and most now require some kind of action and/or trigger blocking mechanism.

I've seen some gun shops that require any firearm you bring in, if it isn't concealed, be unloaded. In general, for the sake of safety, if I am going to be taking a gun into some kind of gun business, and I am going to be handling it in that business, then I will unload it before entering that business.

So maybe this was just poor communication on the part of the business manager?
Good points, I guess. But it sounds like they could really work on their customer service. An explanation pertaining to why isn't too much to expect them to give their customers. "I will kick you out" sounds kinda confrontational. I'll pass. There are others who actually appreciate people giving them money.

...So maybe this was just poor communication on the part of the business manager?
I don't think so. That is why I called after being asked to leave the store to unload my firearm. My original post could not convey tone of voice employed by both employee and owner. It felt like the typical hoplophobia that is becoming more and more ubiquitous in this otherwise beautiful "blue" state. I got discouraged to further pursue the issue.

Gun shows are very clear about their policy. They make sure everyone inside complies in a very courteous manner. And IIRC (I have not been to one in over 2 years) they provide armed security for all inside.

I am not saying you should not give them your business. As of today, I do not feel inclined. But if you choose to do so, make sure you do not repeat my mistake. Concealed should stay concealed.

Sure. But do you really want to support businesses with that attitude?

I support a business's right to make what rules they want to, and my decision to or not do business with them. The Heretic gave some very good reasons as to why they may have this policy. If your business is involved in weapons or associated products, and you have people coming into the business and possibly handling weapons, this policy seems reasonable given some of the CFI's I have seen handling guns in public settings, and the fact you know absolutely nothing about a persons skill and abilities with loaded weapons.

I have LEO and military level training in gun handling, shooting and tactical situations. I also do one on one training with middle age and older adults. I had one who was a retired Army officer whose gun handling skills, and safety awareness made me cringe. He painted the whole room before I got him under control. I had to do a lot of remedial work with him. I will often let people I know come shoot at my range. I make it very clear to them that if I have not shot with them, what the range rules are, and my evaluation of your gun handling and safety will be the number one priority. I have stopped shooting and we have had safety instruction before continuing.

This will start the minute they unload their guns, how they transport them, how they prepare to shoot, it becomes pretty clear quickly what the skill level is. You cannot evaluate that when a person walks into a store and starts handling weapons.

As far as the customer service thing goes, I grant that a lot of business's are not that good at it. My expectations are really not that great any more, so good service is a surprise. I deal with a wide variety of customers every day, we try to provide a high and fair level of customer service. Sometimes that is not always easy. By the time I enter the situation, it has really passed the point of customer service and became a security issue.

I buy a lot of things online, I have found that much easier to get what I want with a minimum of problems. I buy a lot on eBay because they have such strong customer service protection. I have bought several holsters from Barsony online, my family and friends have as well.

I guess I understand where they are coming from, and I can certainly understand how people going in their store, may feel as well.

I accidentally discovered the Barsony business place today while visiting Floors with Flare, at TV Hwy In Hillsboro. The wife was waiting for me in the car so I quickly asked to show me their IWB holsters. They ask me for what kind of gun. I said, "a Shield". Then she asked me what kind of holster, and since I could not come up with a good way to describe what I wanted I proceeded to lift my shirt and show them my old IWB, with the holstered Shield. She then told me to #1 leave the store, #2 unload the gun and #3 then come back. I did #1.

They do not have a "gun free zone" sign, or anything that would tip me. I went home and could not ditch the thought. What if I misunderstood the lady? Maybe they needed my "unloaded gun" to fit in the new holster. I called and the guy with the Russian accent took the call. After asking about horizontal mag holsters, I asked if their store was a "gun free zone". He said "no; people with unloaded guns are welcomed". Thinking that unloaded guns make poor clubs I asked if they needed my gun for fitting or something, and he said "if you come into my store with a loaded gun I will kick you out". At that point I thanked him and hung up.

Felt I should share so you know what you are dealing with in case you care.

Merry Christmas.

Maybe its just me but I dont see any issue with not wanting someone unloading a gun in their store. She invited you back, presumably with your gun... sounds like she wanted to help you find a holster.

Great product, I have bought several online on eBay. No problems that way.

I had been considering one of these as well. For $30, it looks hard to beat, but I went with kydex.
The in-store situation seems like bad customer service to me, as I am sure its not the first time its happened. That is their right as a business owner and she did invite you back in. I would think that if I had a business dealing with firearms, I too would not want an unknown customer handling a loaded gun out in the open, racking slides, clearing chambers, etc.

Don't pull out a loaded firearm in a gun store.
Read my lips, I did not pull the firearm out the holster inside their place of business.

I can understand why a business may be concerned with "loaded" firearms handling (#1 - all guns are loaded). I can empathize with that. But he/she should say exactly that. Or, like I have heard before, "as long as it stays in the holster, we don't have a problem". Also, having a sign can help clear up any potential misunderstandings.

...I would think that if I had a business dealing with firearms, I too would not want an unknown customer handling a loaded gun out in the open, racking slides, clearing chambers, etc.
And that's why I called. I gave "a pass" to the employee who "helped" me at their place of business (it is not a store) because she was the one who got to see the holstered firearm. The owner, though, that's another story. He very much cleared things for me on the phone. It wasn't just the words, it was the voice tone and volume, both employee and owner.

Main take aways:
The place is a "loaded" gun free zone.
* I did not see any signs.
* The place does not seem to be big on customer service, so do not be surprised...
* If you CC, keep it concealed, or else...
* It is a "place of business", not a store front. It is not set up as a store. They have an area where they tend to their customers, apparently for custom fitting. But it is not well delineated from the shop and storage areas. If you visit no not expect to see products on display.
* You might be better off ordering online.
* they will start making horizontal mag holsters in January, in just case anyone is interested...

I am trying not to feel offended by their treatment. I am letting go. Nowadays everyone seems too dang sensitive. As of me, I would still buy online, but do not feel inclined to visit their place of business.

Last Edited:
Wow.
ANY store I've went into that's a gun shop needing to test fit has always been clearly stated: "step outside, unload and bring it in"

Poor communication or they are just in the wrong business.

I must be missing something here. All she did was ask you to take your gun outside to unload it if you wanted to fit a holster,right?
You should unload your gun to fit a holster or do anything with it other than shoot it or lay it on the table.If you are fitting a holster,making a holster for a gun,cleaning it etc,you should hav the gun unloaded.
I would guess he just wants to make sure if your gun is out it would be unloaded,or you are trying to rob the place or stupid

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top