JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A little while ago I purchased a new Barska 4X28 IR Electro scope for my SR556. I've only be able to get out to the range with it three times now, so the thing is basically brand new.

It never would hold a zero, but this last week I made it out to English Pit for some range time and the entire front lens came loose inside the scope housing. Right now the scope is a totally useless piece of scrap. I got in touch (twice now) with Barska customer service through their web site. (They promise 24 hour response time). So far, I've heard nothing back at all. All I wanted to know was if this problem was fixable. No answer.

I know that Barska isn't the best optics company available, but I did expect better than this. Anyway, I've learned my lesson. Spend a little more and go with companies you can rely on.

Before the Barska lawyers get all excited, I am only relating my personal experiences with their products and customer service. Other Barska customers may have different results.

No, Barska customers will likely have identical results.

You have delivered a good piece of advice for all optics buyers: it is an arena where you get EXACTLY what you pay for. (Even within the same brand.)

I had the same experience with Burris. Bad Fastfire II right out of the box. Sent in under warranty for repair or replacement. That was in April. I kept the UPS tracking to prove I sent it in, asked them what was happening, no response. Awful.

I had a similar experience with NcStar. Bought a scope and shot a few hundred rounds out of my AK with it when it suddenly went fuzzy. When I gave it a light shake, I heard rattling so I sent it in for warranty repair. They sent me back a refurb scope that looked like it had been kicked around on a gravel road. The one I sent in was cosmetically perfect.

Won't be buying another NcStar product...or any other cheap scope, for that matter. Might as well use iron sights since the cheap scopes don't work.

Well I've had a great experience with a Barska red dot. I bought it because I wanted the cheapest tube style red dot I could get to see if I would end up liking it. It has been over a year, off and on my Buckmark multiple times and still works great. The dot isn't quite round and I had to replace the allen wrench for the mount because it was made from cheesemetal and rounded off, but overall I've been impressed for a $22 sight. I don't think I would bother trying one on a bigger caliber than .22lr though...:s0131:

I had the same experience with a Vortex Crossfire that I bought second hand. I emailed Vortex and sent them the scope as requested. They apologized for my trouble and sent me a brand new scope. Hard to beat that kind of customer care and service.

On the flipside...... I sent a 25+ year old Leupold in for service. Excellent communication throughout the process and two weeks later it was back on my front deck. Stick with the known, 'name' brand optics. Optics are nothing to scrimp on - especially if you are trusting your life to the weapon.

I got a Barska scope on Black Friday... I read some reviews and they had both good and bad. I am having the same issue as the original member posted. It just will not hold Zero. I have shot it almost every weekend since Thanksgiving and its always way off. I am sick and tired of it at this point, I am going to try and send it in for repairs... I guess we'll see how this goes. I will keep you posted.

I got a Barska scope on Black Friday... I read some reviews and they had both good and bad. I am having the same issue as the original member posted. It just will not hold Zero. I have shot it almost every weekend since Thanksgiving and its always way off. I am sick and tired of it at this point, I am going to try and send it in for repairs... I guess we'll see how this goes. I will keep you posted.

There is no "repairing" a Barska. You got the product you paid for. there's a reason scopes get spendy quick and there's a reason why NC/Barska/etc are dirt cheap.

I don't get how one can drop $1400 on a gun; yet top it off with a $79 optic that belongs on a bb gun. :confused::s0114:

Like I said in my OP, this was my mistake. My issue was that after dumping so much money on my rifle ($1500 actually), there wasn't a whole lot left in my (wife-approved) "discretionary" spending budget for add-ons. I know I should have waited until I had a few hundred saved up and bought a decent scope from a reputable manufacturer, but I got a little over-anxious. Now I'm back to shooting with the excellent Troy iron sights that came with the rifle and my Barska sits on the shelf mocking me. I'm keeping that POS as a reminder to stick with the good stuff from now on. There will be another scope on my SR556 in the future, but that may be a ways off just yet.

I think you just got unlucky. I had a cheap NC Star a while back and it held up alright. My only problem was the crosshairs were too thick, and it wasn't practical beyond 50 yards, so I ditched the extra weight and went back to irons.

I think you just got unlucky. I had a cheap NC Star a while back and it held up alright. My only problem was the crosshairs were too thick, and it wasn't practical beyond 50 yards, so I ditched the extra weight and went back to irons.

And everyone else pointing out they're basically junk is what then, if he's just unlucky?

You get what you pay for. If you want red-dot sight: AimPoint($300+) , EOTech(300+) or Trijicon ($750+). Rifle scopes, I recommend Leupold, Vortex, SWFA, NightForce among other pricey options. I have a Vortex PST 2.5-10x44 ($599) and love it. Vortex has AWESOME customer service. I thought my scope was defective so I contacted them. They paid for shipping to them and back. I had it back in 1-2 weeks. There was not a problem with it, I'm just a scope n00b and it got loose on the mount, how embarrassing. Mounts are just as important as the scope: LaRue, Bobro, Seekins or other quality rings. Also, before you buy ANY OPTIC, I recommend going to optics planet and reading the reviews for the item you are interested in. That's how I learned to avoid Barska, NCStar, and Tasco.

And everyone else pointing out they're basically junk is what then, if he's just unlucky?

People have been putting these cheap scopes on ARs forever now. They are what they are. Nobody is gonna hit a 400 yard target with one. Some guys don't have the budget for something better. Mine worked fine while I had it, and people should know they're not all defective.

A scopes job is to track properly and keep you on target- something these scopes do a VERY poor job of. i'd call that defective. There are decent cheap optics you can get, enough so to make avoiding these a very simple proposition.

I've had similar experiences with Leapers/UTG optics. Never would hold zero, constantly breaking. Never again. Buy optics that cost money and are high end brands like Leupold. SWFA, Nikon, NightForce, etc.

Buy once, cry once.

If I buy a POS optic, I know it's. A POS optic. I assume that if it craps out I am out whatever I paid for it. The cheap NcStar on my Mosin is doing very well after about 40 rounds and getting knocked around during hunting season. And the cheap red dot on my .22 is doing great as well. If either one dies I am out what I spent. It not worth my time and effort to try and collect.

A toilet paper tube with with a couple of hairs from your wife taped to it will generally hold zero better than a Barfska, NC Star, etc.

The poster who recommended buying a rifle for your scope gave good advice.

That said, Millett has a good reputation for decent optics on a budget.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top