JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I picked up a Savage 7mm with the synthetic stock and am liking it so far. I noticed that the stock is separating from the barrel though right at the end of the stock. It doesn't seem to be affecting accuracy but looks bad. Is there any way to fix this?

Basically at the point where the barrel leaves the stock the stock is bending away from the barrel. The stock is developing a bow in it for some reason and bending. I'll try to get a picture of it tonight but there is a good 1/4" of space between the end of the stock and the barrel. The farther back(towards the bolt) the tighter the barrel/stock fit is.

Basically at the point where the barrel leaves the stock the stock is bending away from the barrel. The stock is developing a bow in it for some reason and bending. I'll try to get a picture of it tonight but there is a good 1/4" of space between the end of the stock and the barrel. The farther back(towards the bolt) the tighter the barrel/stock fit is.

Ah I see, its sort of warping. Well for the best accuracy you actually dont want the forend of the stock to be touching the barrel at all, its called "free floating", where there is a small gap (about the size of a notecard) between the barrel and stock all the way down to where it meets the action.

But since the front is going down, this may mean that it is bending the middle upward, which puts a bit of pressure on the barrel, which can affect accuracy. Although these effects of accuracy and inaccuracy due to barrel torque are so minute that you probably wouldn't notice unless doing sub moa target shooting.

Are you storing your rifle in any odd positions or environments? or spending a lot of time in the heat? Usually wood stocks are the ones that seem to shrink and swell far more than synthetic ones.

Nothing strange that I can think of. I keep it stored in case hanging up in a closet. I have done the same with my wood stocked Remington for every with no issues.

Didn't realize the free floating side of this but there is definitely something not right with this stock. It shoots fine for my use so I haven't worried about it but just looks strange.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top