Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Barrel threading

Discussion in 'NFA Weapon Discussion' started by caden08, Aug 15, 2010.

1. caden08

caden08 washougal Member

Was wondering if anyone here has uses or had experience in
    threading their own barrel. I found this kit but don't know how reliable it would be.

Threading Kits

2. elsullo

elsullo Portland Oregon New Member

It probably does not matter with a pistol or a flash-hider on a rifle, but with a rifle not all barrels are concentric to the bore. No kidding, sometimes even when the bore is perfectly straight, the barrel is not. For something that will have a close tolerance, like a surpressor, you need to use a full length machinist's lathe to truly align the threading to the rifle bore, not the barrel. It would be a shame to end up with your new threads cut crooked from the bore!........................elsullo

3. caden08

caden08 washougal Member

I have a norinco 26 sks I want threaded so I can ( eventualy ) purchase a suppresor. Thought I would throw out the question on such products.

4. huntpotter

huntpotter SW WA Negotiator Bronze Supporter

OK, to thread for your own flash hider, or muzzle break, probably will work with no problems.

All manufacturer's of sound supressors will void the warranty on a sound supressor, if you threaded it yourself, and the threading is not concentric to the bore. If you get a baffle strike because of your home threading job, then it's your own fault. You could ruin a perfectly good supressor.

I read the instructions, to the threading tool, from the link you provided. It says, "now your new muzzle brake is properly installed". That's probably the main use for it.

5. caden08

caden08 washougal Member

Thanks looks like I'm going to scrap that plan. Anyone on the forum that can properly do the threading? If it's not ideal for an sks maybe I should have my savage 308 threaded instead.

6. huntpotter

huntpotter SW WA Negotiator Bronze Supporter

I've used Tornado Technologies, for a couple supressor hosts. One of them was a savage .308. They are a member here.

7. caden08

caden08 washougal Member

Did it work fine? I guess I can justify spending more on a shop to have the peice of mindim not going to destroy a $800+ can.:cool:

8. Keane

Keane Hillsboro, OR Active Member

Tornado Tech is as good as it gets. They are well known all over the country as THE company to go to.

9. caden08

caden08 washougal Member

And local! Sweet I'll be using them insted thanks guys for the heads up on this 1!

10. NoAim

NoAim Hillsboro, OR Active Member

FYI, looking at the price of the above kit, for a single threading job, you'll be close to the same cost, with MUCH better results. Any more I take all my barrel threading work to Tornado.

11. terrylf72

terrylf72 Portland, Oregon, United States Member

I'm looking for someone that I can get the thread my Remington 700. any help would be greatful. The guy i had for it is out of country!

Thanks Terry

12. coyote223

coyote223 NW Oregon Stamp Collector,,,

What he said,,, ^ ^ ^

TT does great work,,, :thumbup::thumbup:

13. Ranb

Ranb Belfair, WA Active Member

I made one of those "threading kits" to thread the muzzle of my AK, it did not work well enough.

I occasionally thread a barrel using a die in a work holding chuck. But one time I ran into the bad bore problem. I turned this one between centers and it flopped around like a broken arm.

358barrel.jpg

The problem is obvious. Not only was the barrel bent, the bore curved its way down the barrel 40 thousands off center four inches from the end.

Ranb

14. captqc

captqc Tigard Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

I've used one of those kits to thread a AR barrel. The key is to have the barrel turned down concentric to the bore before you try to thread it. A better method is to take it to a gunsmith and have them do it without the worry. Todd at Koonce Custom Gunworks in Salem can take care of that for you. Gary

15. Gov't Mule

Gov't Mule NW Member

Looks like you found your solution, but Adco and Gemtech both do top-notch work as well.