JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It probably does not matter with a pistol or a flash-hider on a rifle, but with a rifle not all barrels are concentric to the bore. No kidding, sometimes even when the bore is perfectly straight, the barrel is not. For something that will have a close tolerance, like a surpressor, you need to use a full length machinist's lathe to truly align the threading to the rifle bore, not the barrel. It would be a shame to end up with your new threads cut crooked from the bore!........................elsullo

OK, to thread for your own flash hider, or muzzle break, probably will work with no problems.

All manufacturer's of sound supressors will void the warranty on a sound supressor, if you threaded it yourself, and the threading is not concentric to the bore. If you get a baffle strike because of your home threading job, then it's your own fault. You could ruin a perfectly good supressor.

I read the instructions, to the threading tool, from the link you provided. It says, "now your new muzzle brake is properly installed". That's probably the main use for it.

Thanks looks like I'm going to scrap that plan. Anyone on the forum that can properly do the threading? If it's not ideal for an sks maybe I should have my savage 308 threaded instead.

Did it work fine? I guess I can justify spending more on a shop to have the peice of mindim not going to destroy a $800+ can.:cool:

FYI, looking at the price of the above kit, for a single threading job, you'll be close to the same cost, with MUCH better results. Any more I take all my barrel threading work to Tornado.

I made one of those "threading kits" to thread the muzzle of my AK, it did not work well enough.

I occasionally thread a barrel using a die in a work holding chuck. But one time I ran into the bad bore problem. I turned this one between centers and it flopped around like a broken arm.

358barrel.jpg

The problem is obvious. Not only was the barrel bent, the bore curved its way down the barrel 40 thousands off center four inches from the end.

Ranb

I've used one of those kits to thread a AR barrel. The key is to have the barrel turned down concentric to the bore before you try to thread it. A better method is to take it to a gunsmith and have them do it without the worry. Todd at Koonce Custom Gunworks in Salem can take care of that for you. Gary

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top