JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For those who read the OP and are interested; Yes. The barrels go for 40-60. You need a good vice and a jig to keep the frame from bending. Carefully torque the old barrel off, new barrel on, then cut the cylinder gap to the appropriate size.

That's a good question. I'm embarking on the exact same project soonish. Been mapping out a jig I'll cut out of aluminium then going to do the work. I saw a vid on youtube a while back, but can't find it any longer. The 'smith had a brass hammer and a 'wrench' made out of cut stock to fit the barrel profile right up next to the frame. He was tapping the old barrel off, lightly, giving a pull by hand after every couple taps. Didn't look easy, but not difficult either.

Before doing the work take some feeler gages and measure the gap between the cylinder face and breech so that you can cut it to the exact same distance.

Note; I'm not a qualified 'smith, just a guy with a modicum of intelligence and a drive to save $$. As long as the cylinder is timed up properly then there shouldn't be any issue with the swap. Might want to run straight lead through the barrel for the first few rounds to check for shaving though.

new barrel on, then cut the cylinder gap to the appropriate size.
How would one go about cutting the cyl gap after the new barrel is on? With regard to your jig are you going to machine a radius to fit around the curved areas of the frame or will it just contact the flats?

Planning on using a flat file to rough cut, then paper to take off a thousandth at a time. Then de-burr, polish. Since the torque will only be applied to the fore-end of the frame I was going to make a clamshell(2 piece) jig just for the flats.

I would think the possibility of screwing it up would be worth the cost of the smith doing it, I know it can be done... but not one I would try myself, more power to you both and good luck... let us know how it works out??

I can fully understand that. I'm the type that prefers to do the work themselves, regardless of cost savings. Should have it done by year's end and I can post the process in a thread when the work starts.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top