JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I traded a guy some brass for a Savage 338 Federal barrel. It's been cut down and recrowned then painted some nasty gray paint. It's tough paint, maybe epoxy or something. If I want to have it refinished can just the paint be stripped off then Gunkoted or should it be stripped and reblued? The crown has had the paint chipped and it looks cold blued underneath. It's going on a hunting rifle that gets soaked every year so I want something that really resists rusting and I want it colored black to match the rifle. Anybody on the west side of Portland that does quality rebluing or refinishing?

Would "stripping" it leave the bluing intact? I'm wanting it as rust proof as reasonably possible for a $100 barrel. I'm thinking about it!

It would be bead blasted and all the finish would be removed, bead blasting gives and exhalant surface for Duracoat to adhere to, after that 3 to 4 coats of Duracoat would be applied, that would give you a better coating than the factory bluing IMOP.
The bluing could be sanded and the Duracoat could be applied over it but i wouldn't recommend it as it could peal off in areas over time.

FYI both of my own hunting rifles are coated with Duracoat.

Not trying to talk you into something just giving you an option, there are other coatings out there that will work for you also. (just not as well)

Steve,

I can give you a matte Black Finish or a polished finish if it is just the barrel for $50 plus the return shipping if you would like the whole gun reblued it would be $85 plus the return shipping you can contact me at 434-941-4202 or at blueridgebluing.com

Mark

I can strip it and Duracoat it for you for $75:s0155:

I think for now I'm going to just store the barrel-I'm a Savage barrel horder! But I have another project I would consider coating the whole rifle depending on how nice the tax man is. Can you coat an entire rifle and scope? How much disassembley is needed? Do you have samples of your work or a website? Price? You might get some business out of me yet! Thanks.

Last Edited:
I can reblue the whole rife but not the scope and If you send me the barreled action without the wood I can disassemble it and polish it blue it and reasembel and send it back, you can see some pics at blueridgebluing.com

Mark

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads