JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I asked Lilja that same question and they said that if the person doing the fluting knows what they are doing and takes their time, fluting will not hurt the barrel. I have had 7 or 8 barrels fluted after they were chambered and those rifles all shot very accurate groups. However, since I didn't shoot them before they were fluted I cannot tell you whether the fluting affected the accuracy or not.

A fluted barrel, of the same weight and length and caliber as an unfluted one will not shoot any more accurately than an unfluted one.

So, if you are considering fluting a smooth barrel, do it for looks, and a very slight weight reduction.

I'm doing it purely to reduce weight. It a pretty good shooter for a hunting barrel, if I lost a little accuracy I'd be just fine. I just can't find anyone local who does it. As it stands right now of the 4 deer I've killed the longest shot was 35 yards. I hunt in the nasty thick brush!

I'm doing it purely to reduce weight. It a pretty good shooter for a hunting barrel, if I lost a little accuracy I'd be just fine. I just can't find anyone local who does it. As it stands right now of the 4 deer I've killed the longest shot was 35 yards. I hunt in the nasty thick brush!

tornado-technologies or revelation arms both right there in your kitchen might be able to do that other wise contact adco

Dan at hair trigger is probably the best bet. I know he flutes barrels. I have one that he fluted :D. Mike at tornado probably can do it, but it might be a bit of a wait as I think its not a standard service he offers (phone usually works better to get a hold of him). I am not 100% sure if Todd at koonce custom can do it. I know he is on the injured reserve right now, but should be back in action in a bit. All of them are good guys and do good if not great work.

My first thought was Tornado Tech but I've e-mailed and called with no answer so I'm still looking. I e-mailed Koonce Custom in Salem so I'll see where that goes.

Just remember these are all small shops with no more than two or three people working, at MOST, so be sure to give them a little time to respond.

Dan has threaded several barrels for me as well as a bunch of other work and is helping me with a custom 10/22 project. He's a great guy, just like Todd at Koonce and Mike at Tornado. All stand up folks who would be proud to work with you.

I'm in no hurry as long as it's done by next deer season. I switched from a Browning Micro A-bolt to a Savage 10PC. It's a little short gun but it has a heavy barrel on it that weighs way more than I like crawling through the bushes where the deer hide in my spot. I may go for a custom fluted barrel in a lighter contour, I'm still thinking it over.

2 Sources that I've used were both awesome and only $150. E.R. Shaw Barrel in PA. They made a great barrel for me. Ed Sweet here in Idaho did my last barrel and also did a great job. I'm sure he will take orders by mail.

I gave up after trying about half the people recommended. Too busy, don't do fluting, whatever. No biggie though, I talked my wife into a new Pac-Nor barrel. I've had some pretty good luck with the others I got from them, and they're an Oregon company. It'll be a bunch lighter than what I packed around this year, I'm going with a slightly lighter contour and it will be fluted.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top