Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Barrel cutting and threading and rail machining question

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by ArBrnSnpr, Dec 2, 2012.

1. ArBrnSnpr

ArBrnSnpr PNW Active Member

I have a 16" barrel that I'm interested in having cut to 11.5" then threaded to accept a flash suppressor. Does anyone in the Portland area have this ability with a quick turn around time and quality work? I know I can send it out to a number of reputable shops and have it done, but I want this done locally.

I also have 3 sections of 12" picatinny rail that I want some machining done on. I'm looking to mill/flatten a 6" section of the ribbing to create a narrower rail - similar to the KAC URX 3.1 rails.

I would not be trying to take on this rail project but the weapon being worked on is a PWS which uses proprietary rails and so I'm kind of stuck with modifying what I have.

If anyone has access to CNC type milling equipment I would ultimately love to see what would be necessary to create a barrel nut that would be threaded to allow a regular rail to be installed on a PWS to allow a Daniel Defense M4A1 RIS II to be installed.

I can pay in parts, gear, ammo, MRE's, cash....

Edit: PM me if you can help out with this - you don't need to be a professional shop, just competent.

2. Straight Shooter

Straight Shooter North Bend OR Active Member

Have you secured the proper ATF permit for a short barreled rifle? What you ask is a federal offense without one.

3. ArBrnSnpr

ArBrnSnpr PNW Active Member

While I do appreciate you concerning yourself with my legal status, owning a barrel less than 16" is by no means a federal offense if it is not installed on a rifle lower. Are you under the impression that everyone one who owns an AR pistol is committing a felony?

4. Straight Shooter

Straight Shooter North Bend OR Active Member

Not at all. I believed it was a rifle as the barrel being altered was a rifle barrel.

5. iamme

iamme Lane County Well-Known Member

Good, quick, cheap. Pick two.

Local you can try tornado tech but there will be a wait. Semi-local there's Weapon Outfitters in Washington