JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
Wanted Ad Type
  1. Want to Buy
Manufacturer
Winchester
City
Everson
State
Washington
Hello
I need a barrel band screw for a Winchester Model 94 Carbine in .30-30 Circa 1959
The screw needed is the screw for the lower barrel band nearest the receiver.
Thank you
Andy

1. I agree to the classified rules and terms of service
Is there any of the shank protruding or is it broke off flush?
So the screw is broke in two...
The head comes out with just a little of the screw shank...
The bottom is still screwed in to the other side flush....

I am hoping to find a screw extractor or maybe get lucky and have the new replacement screw drive out the old one...but I kinda doubt it....
Andy

maybe get lucky and have the new replacement screw drive out the old one...but I kinda doubt it....
It wont drive it out if its threaded but try this - sharpen a small punch to a point. Lay the gun on its side and carefully press the punch into the face of the screw bottom (it may require a LIGHT rap with a WOOD mallet to sink it in a bit) near the top of it and see it you can rotate the screw to 'unthread' it.

WIthout the head of the screw snugged up on the other side the remaining portion is essentially 'loose' in the band threads and 'might' rotate out. It may be loose and rotate right out.

Been here, done this many times - recently in fact.

There's no driving it out. I think you're looking at getting another barrel band as well cause it's gonna be destroyed getting it off the forearm. I don't see how to get the screw shank out any other way...but then again, I'm not a professional gunsmith.

Mine is a 79 vintage and that screw is pretty thin I remember...it was bent as well and a real PITA to get back in. Not sure if a pre 64 is different or not.

It wont drive it out if its threaded but try this - sharpen a small punch to a point. Lay the gun on its side and carefully press the punch into the face of the screw bottom near the top of it and see it you can rotate the screw to 'unthread' it.

WIthout the head of the screw snugged up on the other side the remaining portion is essentially 'loose' in the band threads and 'might' rotate out. It may be loose and rotate right out.

Thank you....I will give this a try for sure...once I order a screw...

There's no driving it out. I think you're looking at getting another barrel band as well cause it's gonna be destroyed getting it off the forearm. I don't see how to get the screw shank out any other way...but then again, I'm not a professional gunsmith.

Mine is a 79 vintage and that screw is pretty thin I remember...it was bent as well and a real PITA to get back in. Not sure if a pre 64 is different or not.
Yeah I am thinking that too...so a barrel band as well....sigh.
Thanks again for the replies
Andy

It wont drive it out if its threaded but try this - sharpen a small punch to a point. Lay the gun on its side and carefully press the punch into the face of the screw bottom near the top of it and see it you can rotate the screw to 'unthread' it.

That would be the only way...maybe a little penetrating oil first??

If you accept the risk of a new band, you could try some other more radical things. You could drill out the screw, ream the hole up a size, cut new theads, and use a slightly larger screw.

Before spraying it with oil, you could try a dab of epoxy on the end of the broken off bolt -- maybe cut the head off the part you have in hand, then cut a slot in the end where the head used to be (dremel would make this easy) so there is no tension on the threads but you could back it out with a flathead if the epoxy holds. Once its oiled though, epoxy won't hold. Needs to be a real small dab to avoid bonding to the threads too.

If you accept the risk of a new band, you could try some other more radical things. You could drill out the screw, ream the hole up a size, cut new theads, and use a slightly larger screw.

Before spraying it with oil, you could try a dab of epoxy on the end of the broken off bolt -- maybe cut the head off the part you have in hand, then cut a slot in the end where the head used to be (dremel would make this easy) so there is no tension on the threads but you could back it out with a flathead if the epoxy holds. Once its oiled though, epoxy won't hold. Needs to be a real small dab to avoid bonding to the threads too.

All true, but Damn tedious! if I gotta get out a microscope, it's getting replaced! :D

Have you removed the front band yet?

No not yet...
My shop is a drafty old un-heated garage...
So I am going to wait till I get a screw...I may order a front barrel band screw too...'cause Murphy is my best friend when it comes to projects....and wait till the order comes in to start this project....
It ain't like the Carbine with go bad in the meantime...:D
Andy

If you remove the front barrel band and then rotate it to take it off the barrel, you should then be able to slide the ammo tube forward and then the wood forearm should slide forward leaving the barrel band around the barrel. You could then heat up the band and apply some kroil or other penetrate and then grab the remaining shank from within the band.

Kroil is your friend in these projects.

If you remove the front barrel band and then rotate it to take it off the barrel, you should then be able to slide the ammo tube forward and then the wood forearm should slide forward leaving the barrel band around the barrel. You could then heat up the band and apply some kroil or other penetrate and then grab the remaining shank from within the band.

Kroil is your friend in these projects.

Thank you...
May give this a try when I am more awake and have the time for the project.
Andy

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top