JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Not sure where to post this. This is the exit wound from a .270 topped with a Barnes TTSX and 53gr IMR 4350. I was shooting up hill and hit a little low, but the Deer was DRT. This is a little Buck and the only one I saw in five days.

TTSX.JPG

What was the approximate range? Whitetail, blacktail, or muley? I always appreciate real world terminal ballistic images. I haven't used Barnes bullets, but have heard good things about them. I use standard cup and core (Hdy Interlock, Speer Hot-cor, Sierra Prohunter) or Nosler Accubonds for my hunting rounds, but I have seen that kind of damage from a Hdy SST my brother used. I have a controlled-expansion preference, so if I were to use a Barnes, it would be the TTSX. Well done! :s0155:

What was the approximate range? Whitetail, blacktail, or muley? I always appreciate real world terminal ballistic images. I haven't used Barnes bullets, but have heard good things about them. I use standard cup and core (Hdy Interlock, Speer Hot-cor, Sierra Prohunter) or Nosler Accubonds for my hunting rounds, but I have seen that kind of damage from a Hdy SST my brother used. I have a controlled-expansion preference, so if I were to use a Barnes, it would be the TTSX. Well done! :s0155:
It's a little spike Mule Deer and the shot was only around 50yds. I use a 140 TSX in my 7mm Rem Mag and it is bad medicine. I just finished processing this deer and I'm glad it wasn't any bigger. :)

The downfall of these bullets is they have more bearing surface since copper is less dense than lead. They start fast and bleed energy quickly. That's why, for me, its a 400 yard bullet. Start it fast and it will be flat and destructive out to that range.
I killed a large Muley in Eastern Washington a few years ago with the 7mm 140gr TSX at 412 yards. Surprised me that I connected because I do not practice shooting at that distance.

2000fps is about minimum to promise adequate expansion.

Unlike some lead slugs, they cannot be driven too fast. And from a terminal performance standpoint, the faster the better.

Wife shoots 130s TTSX's at 3000fps in her 270. I figure 500 yards or less to insure expansion (Probably good til 550 yards. Better to leave a little on the table than cripple one). I tend to agree with idea that past 400 yards, wound channels get to have less splash. If that is to be expected, I'd probably choose a softer nosed slug like a Partition.

Her last 2 elk were shot at 325 & 340 yards. One went down immediately. The other took 4 steps, and then went down.

Been shooting X bullets since early 90s. At close range/high impact velocity, I see no better bullet.

Some of the originals were challenging to get good accuracy from. Much improved now.

They do like to be seated off the lands. If you jam em into rifling, pressure spikes are likely.

I killed a buck with a sst 2 years ago and I didn't like how the 70 yard shot seemed to blow it to pieces. Got mine this year at 300 with an accubond and loved it's performance. Retained 87% weight which I was also impressed with. This is a Tikka 3006 165gr with 57.2gr imr4350

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top