Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Bargain Basement Budget AR-15 Build - Documenting my progress

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Joe13, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Well yall,

I'm going to try and build an AR-15 with the cheapest used parts I can find.

I have been advised to just buy bargain sale parts online as I can afford it but after looking at shipping and the plethora of options and upgrades available, I thought it may be possible to find used parts people don't want and are willing to let go cheap.

I'll document the parts I find and what I paid for them and total it all up and post pics as I go.

Any advice, help or trolling is welcome on this one;)

etrain16 and Stepside2000 like this.
  2. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Reserved to List the Parts and Prices...

Will Edit as I go

3. SOrez

SOrez SOR Active Member

Palmetto state Armory had complete lowers for $129,sometimes they have complete uppers for $300.

Joe13 likes this.
  4. Joe13

That's pretty reasonable.

Would it be possible to assemble something similar for less then that with used parts?

5. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Actually, Palmetto State Armory has a blemished lower on sale for $59.99 right now - get a good transfer price and you're in for under $100 for a good quality stripped lower. Then you can search for used parts to build out the lower later.

6. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

Its actually $49

7. IronMonster

8. etrain16

Where are you seeing that? I just checked the site and saw $59.99 for the blemished lower.

Okay, I see it now with the link you posted - I was looking at their 'standard' blemished receiver.

9. IronMonster

I have bought what seems to be a pretty good upper assembly from PSA for $175 Its a stainless "freedom" barrel in 5.56 Mid length 1-9 Standard hand guards and front sight. For the money it seems great.

The best deal I got was on the Black Friday deal though was a "premium" rifle kit. Its basically the same barrel as the upper above but it uses there premium upper (probably the same one only its marked with Palmetto State Armory) The rifle complete, with premium BCG (same deal, could be the same one but this one is laser marked with their logo) for $349 (everything to build the rifle but the lower)

There are deals and then there are deals too. If you dont get in a panic that $350-$400 will build you a nice rifle.

As far as used parts go its possible but I doubt likely.

10. Joe13

Would that have to go thru an FFL then? It is there a Seperate transfer fee on those?

11. etrain16

Lower (receivers)require an FFL. Uppers and all other parts can be shipped directly to you.

12. Joe13

So it looks like I could get that lower for about $60 with Fred's $10 FFL?

Great deal or keep looking?

13. etrain16

Yeah, he's got a great deal on transfers for WA residents - I assume his $10 fee applies to online purchases too? Or maybe just to personal transfers - probably should check with him. I've had a PSA lower, it was nice quality, and I think it's hard to beat the price for a metal lower.

14. IronMonster

Great deal. Buy it. I have not seen anything cheaper in years (there was a AIM's deal where you could buy a Anderson for $39 but the shipping was $12.50)

15. 808hondacrguy

808hondacrguy Eugene,OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Capn Jack and Caveman Jim like this.
  16. nehalemguy

nehalemguy Vernonia Well-Known Member

Brownell's is still offering Bushmaster stripped lower receivers for $49.99 and occasionally they offer free shipping.

E

etrain16 likes this.
  17. kenr74

kenr74 Oregon Active Member

Should be an interesting build. Been wanting to do the same but never get around to it.

Joe13 likes this.
  18. Capn Jack

Capn Jack Wet-Stern Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Don't forget...When you deal on mail order parts through an FFL, he has to treat it like a sale and has to charge you WA State sales tax on the item.:(

19. Joe13

Bummer:(

They nickel and dime you to death on this stuff...:mad:

20. etrain16

But at least it's only the stripped lower you have to run through the FFL. All the rest can be bought in a store, online, at a show or FTF.

Caveman Jim, Capn Jack and Joe13 like this.