Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Barbeque

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by rufus, Nov 9, 2013.

1. rufus

rufus State of Jefferson Well-Known Member

Food is good, especially barbeque. I grew up in southern California and really miss all the wonderful places to eat. Moved to rural Oregon in 2005 and now have to fend for myself. It sure did get me into cooking. For the last several years I've been using a Weber bullet for my barbecue fix and only recently been back into grilling. Here's the Weber bullet in action:

xmas_08_01_zps90f22751.jpg
    Smoking a ham on Christmas morning 2008.

It works great for low & slow barbeque but it can be a lot of work. Just the wife & I to cook for and it's silly spending 12 hours on a 14 pound brisket. Lots of left-overs so we did get a food saver for freezing pulled pork and the like, but it's a lot of work. Here's a picture of a brisket:

brisket_03_zpsd5d2d126.jpg

Tri-tip is a great alternative. Three pounds of meat in half an hour, very doable after working all day. A cocktail or two while cooking doesn't hurt either. My goal with the tri-tip was to do it like a BBQ joint I used to frequent in So Cal called Lou's Red Oak BBQ. I'm getting close. Check out the pictures of his stuff on the link. Mind-blowing good food, the yams were something special. Have to try them next. I sure miss that place!

Once again my tri-tip from last night:
    tri_tip_02_zps29781c75.jpg

Tell us about your barbeque. :thumbup:

2. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

If you're going to cook it that fast you maybe want to try injecting it and letting it soak in brine a couple days first. 1# each salt, white sugar and brown sugar in 4gal water, inject 10% weight of meat with brine and soak in same. This will keep it from drying out so much and actually help your smoke ring. The brine solution works for turkey, making your own bacon/ham, and fish. The fish just soak in it for three days not injected.

It takes me 8-10hrs to smoke/cook boneless ribs but they are juicy and melt in your mouth. Spraying apple juice or beer on it once in a while ads to the flavor along with keeping it moist. You may want to add another baffle between the heat and the meat also.

rufus and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Dunerunner

Dunerunner You'll Never Know Well-Known Member

Bought a Treager Junior a few months back and couldn't be happier. Don't use the big Grill much anymore, it all goes into the Treager!! It does chicken especially well! 3d9.gif

3d9.gif

4. rufus

Lets see some pics of that bad boy!

5. rick49

rick49 Lewis Well-Known Member

I second the picture motion...the board has gun pics and pet pics so how about cooker pics? Those cookers you have or like guns those on your wish list. Just my 2 freshly minted 2¢. Might be fun and please throw in some BBQ fotos and favorite recipes. I bet we have some fantastic cooks out there. :p
    Rick

6. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

The bark on that brisket looks sweet!
    I haven't smoked yet but an older friend of mine is a smoking fool.. he's got one cold smoker for fish and two others for meat. He's the man.
    I want to do that and pickle my own herring, make gravlax and smoked salmon and, and..

7. rick49

Turkey day is coming up quick. Any suggested ways to do a 12 lb bird?

8. spectra

spectra The Couve Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

I have a Weber Bullet also and it is a sweet smoker for the price. I have done all sorts of meats on it including Turkey and all of it turns out great. My only complaint is I love to cook and only me and the wife to eat it so it only gets used when I can get a few other mouths to feed:laugh: Hard to eat 12lbs of pulled pork between the 2 of us;)

Rick49 what way are you going to cook the turkey? I have brined mine the past few years and they have all turned out great. I have also cooked them in the smoker and a conventional oven so either way works.

9. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

Use the brine recipe I posted above inject into the breasts,legs and thighs 1.2# or so, you will see it plump up.Let soak in fridge for 3 days in brine solution, make sure it is covered by solution. Get a cheap roasting rack and use zip ties to hold the folding supports for the sides in place at the lowest setting. After removing from the brine rinse it in the sink drain water and pat dry. Place on rack use rack to hold wings in place. Put in smoker with apple/cherry and mesquite chips/pellets smoke until brown with smoke. Finish off in house oven or buy a roaster oven (usually on sale at BiMart around now) and finish in garage (house doesn't smell like smoke). Line the roaster oven with a cheap foil roasting pan (easier clean up) when done throw foil pan and rack away. An onion stuffed in the cavity adds to it also.

10. spectra

I use a Jack Daniels brine on mine. I found the recipe on a BBQ forum and you can not even taste the whiskey in it when it is done. I love to brine and the birds always turn out moist and delicious.

11. rufus

My problem exactly.

12. rufus

I've cooked a turkey only once on the smoker, and it was for a big gathering of people. Nothing like pressure to get it right the first time. Did not brine it, just ran the temp up to 300ish and pretended it was in the oven. No smoke wood, just hardwood lump charcoal. I got lucky and it came out great.

Here's some pulled pork:

pork_bark_zpsb423a960.jpg

13. rick49

After 60+ Thanksgivings and 20+ years on the BBQ circuit I look forward to the sides more than the bird itself. I am expected to do the main course. Friends and family have the notion I have some super secret recipe. Truth be told I use a tried and true KISS approach.

I do 2 birds.

The first is a 10 to 12 lb. hen that is brined over nite in enuff Centralia tap water to cover. For every gallon of water add 1/2 cup of Kosher salt. Remove and rinse well and pat dry. Let sit until a shiney glaze forms about an hour.

To smoke prepare grill to cook offset and add enough charcoal to bring temperature to 275 and use fist sized wood chunks for the first 2 hours.

Smoke until internal meat temperature registers 165 when inserted between leg and thigh making sure you are not hitting bone.

Tent with foil and let juices run back into the white meat.

The other bird is 16 lbs and another story.

14. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Nothing quite like the interesting taste of that fine Centralia tap water...

15. spectra

16. rick49

Just reading about turkey and thinking about the meal itself made me so full I had to go and take a nap! :laugh:

17. BAMCIS

BAMCIS Eugene Well-Known Member

I messed up a few years ago and got the bright idea of doing a turkey on my charcoal webber one year when camping. Besides the wife and kids being on that trip, my folks and sister's family were also there. I've been "volunteered" to do turkeys for every Thanksgiving and Christmas since. :banghead:

You'd think I'd learn, but I got another bright idea and did a prime rib once. That went over to well. I get volunteered :club: to make those from time to time also. :help:

18. Dunerunner

Dunerunner You'll Never Know Well-Known Member

Here it is... Cooking a bacon wrapped pork loin roast tonight!!

DSCN0058.jpg

DSCN0059.jpg

DSCN0058.jpg

19. filsonhand

filsonhand In the Silicon Forest Smooth as a Rhino 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I wonder if a bacon wrapped turkey would also be good..I pulled out a 14 lb brisket I will be smoking tomorrow ,definitely a good way to spend a day off work..;-)mmmmmm

Dunerunner and (deleted member) like this.
  20. rick49

A bacon wrapped anything...football, VW bus, kitchen counter top...is good!:laugh: