JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Food is good, especially barbeque. I grew up in southern California and really miss all the wonderful places to eat. Moved to rural Oregon in 2005 and now have to fend for myself. It sure did get me into cooking. For the last several years I've been using a Weber bullet for my barbecue fix and only recently been back into grilling. Here's the Weber bullet in action:

xmas_08_01_zps90f22751.jpg
Smoking a ham on Christmas morning 2008.

It works great for low & slow barbeque but it can be a lot of work. Just the wife & I to cook for and it's silly spending 12 hours on a 14 pound brisket. Lots of left-overs so we did get a food saver for freezing pulled pork and the like, but it's a lot of work. Here's a picture of a brisket:

brisket_03_zpsd5d2d126.jpg

Tri-tip is a great alternative. Three pounds of meat in half an hour, very doable after working all day. A cocktail or two while cooking doesn't hurt either. My goal with the tri-tip was to do it like a BBQ joint I used to frequent in So Cal called <broken link removed>. I'm getting close. Check out the pictures of his stuff on the link. Mind-blowing good food, the yams were something special. Have to try them next. I sure miss that place!

Once again my tri-tip from last night:
tri_tip_02_zps29781c75.jpg

Tell us about your barbeque. :s0155:

If you're going to cook it that fast you maybe want to try injecting it and letting it soak in brine a couple days first. 1# each salt, white sugar and brown sugar in 4gal water, inject 10% weight of meat with brine and soak in same. This will keep it from drying out so much and actually help your smoke ring. The brine solution works for turkey, making your own bacon/ham, and fish. The fish just soak in it for three days not injected.

It takes me 8-10hrs to smoke/cook boneless ribs but they are juicy and melt in your mouth. Spraying apple juice or beer on it once in a while ads to the flavor along with keeping it moist. You may want to add another baffle between the heat and the meat also.

I second the picture motion...the board has gun pics and pet pics so how about cooker pics? Those cookers you have or like guns those on your wish list. Just my 2 freshly minted 2¢. Might be fun and please throw in some BBQ fotos and favorite recipes. I bet we have some fantastic cooks out there. :p
Rick

The bark on that brisket looks sweet!
I haven't smoked yet but an older friend of mine is a smoking fool.. he's got one cold smoker for fish and two others for meat. He's the man.
I want to do that and pickle my own herring, make gravlax and smoked salmon and, and..

I have a Weber Bullet also and it is a sweet smoker for the price. I have done all sorts of meats on it including Turkey and all of it turns out great. My only complaint is I love to cook and only me and the wife to eat it so it only gets used when I can get a few other mouths to feed:s0114: Hard to eat 12lbs of pulled pork between the 2 of us;)

Rick49 what way are you going to cook the turkey? I have brined mine the past few years and they have all turned out great. I have also cooked them in the smoker and a conventional oven so either way works.

Turkey day is coming up quick. Any suggested ways to do a 12 lb bird?

Use the brine recipe I posted above inject into the breasts,legs and thighs 1.2# or so, you will see it plump up.Let soak in fridge for 3 days in brine solution, make sure it is covered by solution. Get a cheap roasting rack and use zip ties to hold the folding supports for the sides in place at the lowest setting. After removing from the brine rinse it in the sink drain water and pat dry. Place on rack use rack to hold wings in place. Put in smoker with apple/cherry and mesquite chips/pellets smoke until brown with smoke. Finish off in house oven or buy a roaster oven (usually on sale at BiMart around now) and finish in garage (house doesn't smell like smoke). Line the roaster oven with a cheap foil roasting pan (easier clean up) when done throw foil pan and rack away. An onion stuffed in the cavity adds to it also.

I use a Jack Daniels brine on mine. I found the recipe on a BBQ forum and you can not even taste the whiskey in it when it is done. I love to brine and the birds always turn out moist and delicious.

I've cooked a turkey only once on the smoker, and it was for a big gathering of people. Nothing like pressure to get it right the first time. Did not brine it, just ran the temp up to 300ish and pretended it was in the oven. No smoke wood, just hardwood lump charcoal. I got lucky and it came out great.

Here's some pulled pork:

pork_bark_zpsb423a960.jpg

After 60+ Thanksgivings and 20+ years on the BBQ circuit I look forward to the sides more than the bird itself. I am expected to do the main course. Friends and family have the notion I have some super secret recipe. Truth be told I use a tried and true KISS approach.

I do 2 birds.

The first is a 10 to 12 lb. hen that is brined over nite in enuff Centralia tap water to cover. For every gallon of water add 1/2 cup of Kosher salt. Remove and rinse well and pat dry. Let sit until a shiney glaze forms about an hour.

To smoke prepare grill to cook offset and add enough charcoal to bring temperature to 275 and use fist sized wood chunks for the first 2 hours.

Smoke until internal meat temperature registers 165 when inserted between leg and thigh making sure you are not hitting bone.

Tent with foil and let juices run back into the white meat.

The other bird is 16 lbs and another story.

After 60+ Thanksgivings and 20+ years on the BBQ circuit I look forward to the sides more than the bird itself. I am expected to do the main course. Friends and family have the notion I have some super secret recipe. Truth be told I use a tried and true KISS approach.

I do 2 birds.

The first is a 10 to 12 lb. hen that is brined over nite in enuff Centralia tap water to cover. For every gallon of water add 1/2 cup of Kosher salt. Remove and rinse well and pat dry. Let sit until a shiney glaze forms about an hour.

To smoke prepare grill to cook offset and add enough charcoal to bring temperature to 275 and use fist sized wood chunks for the first 2 hours.

Smoke until internal meat temperature registers 165 when inserted between leg and thigh making sure you are not hitting bone.

Tent with foil and let juices run back into the white meat.

The other bird is 16 lbs and another story.

Nothing quite like the interesting taste of that fine Centralia tap water...

I've cooked a turkey only once on the smoker, and it was for a big gathering of people. Nothing like pressure to get it right the first time. Did not brine it, just ran the temp up to 300ish and pretended it was in the oven. No smoke wood, just hardwood lump charcoal. I got lucky and it came out great.

I have done a few birds on the Bullet and my first was a dry run so Turkey day did not turn into a Griswald Christmas:s0114: Turned out great I did find out that the normal butterball you find in the local store tasted just a bit better than the organic bird I picked up from the local butcher. I soaked the bird in a JD with maple syrup and a few other goodies for 24 to 48 hours. One thing I did find very usefull and use it a lot on my Weber is a Maverick thermometer to monitor temps at all times. No one likes a chewy turkey:s0114:

I also agree on the side thing. I enjoy the other goodies more than the bird:s0155:

I messed up a few years ago and got the bright idea of doing a turkey on my charcoal webber one year when camping. Besides the wife and kids being on that trip, my folks and sister's family were also there. I've been "volunteered" to do turkeys for every Thanksgiving and Christmas since. :s0054:

You'd think I'd learn, but I got another bright idea and did a prime rib once. That went over to well. I get volunteered :s0012: to make those from time to time also. :s0107:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top