JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, good advice up there. But I'd say that a couple of things not yet noted:

1st) Get your ham ticket. It's cheap and easy. Ham's have lots of groups that will share their knowledge freely and openly. Good stuff. Great free site here: HamStudy.org: Login

2nd) You have direct to direct to another radio - mile or 2 depending on what antenna or where you live - OR run it through a repeater. If you hit that repeater frequency right, you'll be talking to NY and Lousiana just as sweet as Bob's yer Uncle. It's good to get a license and work it a bit before it's SHTF time is my view although you can listen anytime you wish.

It's not how long the antenna is, it's how high the antenna is. Also, a long antenna may not work even if it is up high if it's not at the proper length for the frequency you are talking on. You may receive just fine with a non-tuned antenna but you won't be able to transmit on it, at least not very well or far. It may also hurt your radio to transmit on a non-tuned antenna as modern radios (anything that doesn't have tubes) do not like it at all.

The Baofeng is notorious for not getting out very far unless conditions are ideal and the signal has a tail wind... a very fast tail wind. :)

It's a fact of life that there are a lot of people using ham radios that are not licensed and not type accepted. The FCC no longer polices the ham bands unless the violator is causing major interference to commercial or emergency radios... or they have a chance to get a large fine payment. It's not like the good ole days when they ran around in their white vans spouting all kinds of antennas and would nab people all the time for illegal activity.

If you do get your ham license, there are a whole lot of choices in hand held ham radios and a whole lot more choices in mobile radios that you can connect different antennas to and even power amplifiers. They are also usually dual band capable although there are good cheap single band radios out there.

It really is easy to get a license. There is no code and the question pool is available so it's easy to memorize all the answers for when you take the test. A lot of time on the ham bands, you can't tell the hams from the chickens because they act just like them... they step all over you when you already had the frequency, they never ID, they use more power than they need to and bleed over to adjacent channels, and generally do nothing for the hobby except take of bandwidth. Myself, I'll take a courteous, polite, considerate non-ham over a rude, obnoxious ham any day. Just keep in mind that the radio frequencies are just like gun ranges... we have to share and keep it clean or nobody gets to enjoy them. ;)

Mike

From my experience, and that of many others here as well I'm sure, even the antenna isn't as important as your height and location relative to the other antenna you are trying to hit/receive from. I can walk to the top of the small hill in my neighborhood and talk to a friend on low, 1W power clear as can be, but when I switch it to high, 8W power and walk a hundred yards back down the other side we can't talk at all. Line of sight is really key and on high, 8W power I can hit mountaintop repeaters 30 miles away from the top of that nearby hill.

Baofeng BF-F8HP, Nagoya NA-24J

From my experience, and that of many others here as well I'm sure, even the antenna isn't as important as your height and location relative to the other antenna you are trying to hit/receive from. I can walk to the top of the small hill in my neighborhood and talk to a friend on low, 1W power clear as can be, but when I switch it to high, 8W power and walk a hundred yards back down the other side we can't talk at all. Line of sight is really key and on high, 8W power I can hit mountaintop repeaters 30 miles away from the top of that nearby hill.

Baofeng BF-F8HP, Nagoya NA-24J

Yes, with VHF and especially UHF, you cannot overcome lack of line of sight with an antenna, but antenna can make more of a difference than output power; if your antenna is -3 db (the default antenna for the UV-5 is something like -10db), you lose half you power in the antenna itself, plus double the power with a 0 dbm antenna, will only get you 25-35% further at best (on flat terrain with unobstructed line of sight), not double the distance.

Great reads guys. Being forced to make a holiday gift list...

Signed up for CORES and am reading up to take the test.

Is the 8W Baofeng still the best bang for your buck for around $50?

I just have some Midland GTX1000's I've had for nearly 4 years and I've gotten a little over 3 miles with them in wooded and desert areas of Arizona. About a mile in the cities.

I don't do licenses and permits aside from a drivers. Thinking of getting the Baofeng UV-82HP or a Yaesu of some sort with a ABBREE whip or a vest mounted antenna system for more range. I really don't plan on talking to anyone long range though or anyone for that matter since I don't think there's any local militias to join, but it'd he nice to at least have that option in the backpack I reckon.

Last Edited:
Just wanted to add my thanks for the good info. About a year ago I started trying to get educated so I could get a Technician license. Got a buddy in VA who is a fanatic but any question I ask gets me an answer that just overwhelms my brain. I signed up for a local class but it was canceled due to Covid. So everything got dropped.
Started reading at a couple sites and it's getting me back on track. I already have a CB and GMRS (yes, I do have license) in my truck. The wife is groaning about the growing antenna farm.

Just wanted to add my thanks for the good info. About a year ago I started trying to get educated so I could get a Technician license. Got a buddy in VA who is a fanatic but any question I ask gets me an answer that just overwhelms my brain. I signed up for a local class but it was canceled due to Covid. So everything got dropped.
Started reading at a couple sites and it's getting me back on track. I already have a CB and GMRS (yes, I do have license) in my truck. The wife is groaning about the growing antenna farm.
Take the time to get a license. Operating a radio within those frequencies reserved for licensed amateur radio operators is not cool.

Getting the license is easy peasy. Just go to hamexam.org and memorize the question pools. It's the same exact questions that are on the test, all multiple choice. The test is only around $15-20 bucks to take.

Following along as well. Been interested for a few years now, just can't take the first step. Can I ask a couple of noob questions?
- are these repeater towers expected to be up and running during shtf? Probably not a yes or no answer, but I'm curious. It looks like a whole different game without them.
- I am having a hard time resolving "get license, know what you are doing, operate with ettiquette" vs "just memorize the answers and get your license". So is it a matter of getting licensed to be legal, then figure it out as you go?
Good thread, thank you.

I recently swapped my Nagoya for a signal stick, and I like it better. I can wrap it up to fit in my EDC bag. Hit Longview repeater from Woodland the other day.

The range seems not so great, 2 miles maybe. But I get the NOAA weather station so I know there are repeaters nearby.

I've looked online and have not found the instructions on how to program it manually to be very helpful. What's the deal with these, how do you set them up to actually be able to communicate at a distance?

One video I watched had a guy using ecolink via the internet to talk to a guy across the country. But that seems to be cheating as the internet may be down in SHTF.

Even larger antenna's have not helped with the range of these things. How do you set this up for longer ranges?
Bushman: Are you on Tiger Mountain? I live in Auburn, and not only that...but the wife and I go to Tiger Mountain every four weeks. We have an upscale housecleaning business and a customer on Tiger Mountain. Maybe we can meet up and I will lend you the cable. We don't have employees. Just the wife and me and we are 'close to retirement age' to put it nicely.

I have the programming cable, and I own a UV-5R+, too. I bought mine three months ago, but I don't use it because I am still studying for the test. Go to Chirp website and download the program. That's the first thing. CHIRP is cool not only because you can set up your radio easy with it, but you can NAME the channels with LETTERS if you want. Can't do that programming manually...and trust me...you shouldn't even try it.

That other poster who told you to just buy the GMRS license was right. No test, just pay the fee. And although the FCC isn't really caring much these days on people using the multi-power level radios (Setting transmit power to either 2-4-8 watts), they WiLL pay you a visit if they catch you TX'ing on the ham freqs or GMRS freqs without a license. Not long ago they confiscated all the radios belonging to a snowmobile club and gave them big fines. The multi power feature is allegedly against FCC rules, too...but they don't enforce that one really. The no-license they do, and will, if they catch you at it.

As far as antennas go...they DO increase your range. That's been proven by tests demonstrated all over YouTube. There are a TON of selections at Amazon. But I like THIS ONE the best because it is extendable and retractable, has the rain cap on it, and Nagoya makes it. Many others are not retractable and become a major PITA.

The all around best way to go for you is probably this:

1) Program all the freqs using CHIRP. You will have to download the program first onto your computer and put a shortcut on your desktop. I could help you if you wish, to program the radio. The CHIRP site will tell you which freqs are used in your general area. The radio holds 128 freqs, so you should only do the local ones. There are hundreds of freqs available, but thankfully CHIRP will auto-select the locals for you on a menu command.

2) Buy the no-test GMRS license. Until then, you can still TX on the FRS freqs. No license required for those, although technically you WILL be violating the transmit power restrictions on those freqs. But if you aren't a moron on those freqs, no one, including the FCC, will really care if use your Baofeng strictly as a FRS two way radio. Especially if you plan to get either a GMRS license, or later...a ham license.

3) DISABLE (you can do this) transmit mode for all the Ham freqs/GMRS freqs, and ENABLE all the ones that do FRS. No license required for FRS, as I said. There are about 22 of them if memory serves. Also DISABLE TX on the weather channels. After you at least get your GMRS license, then you can enable TX on those freqs as well. You might want to program in a couple of FM radio freqs along the way, and I believe the Baofengs don't allow you to enable TX on those anyway, if I recall. At the end of all this, you will be able to use the radio on FRS for now.

4) RENAME with letters the main FRS freqs you will be using. I did 'BobMain' for the FRS channel I use, for example. But...I don't even touch the radio right now because I'm going for the Ham license anyway. You can name the other 21 FRS freqs with 'FRS 1', FRS 2' etc. I believe you can also name the repeater freqs in your area, but those are trickier. You have to look up your local repeaters and I haven't done that yet. Still shaky on the repeater thing...lol...probably why I should keep studying for the license right? Then I would know what I was doing. :) I will give you my public email. It sounds generic, but I'm the only one who sees the messages. adventurebooksofseattle AT G Mail (I have a private one, but I don't put that on the internet) My name is Robert. It's okay for me to give you that address though. It's already all over the internet anyway because it is a business address. LOL...spam magnet for sure.

I should add that you CAN go onto a ham band under one circumstance. And only the one. If you were in the middle of a real emergency, I mean something REAL...you can TX on a ham band if that's the one and only way you can reach anyone for help. Other than that, no. And it had better be a real emergency.

NOTE: I edited this post heavily because I was mixing up the names of the different frequencies. I think I finally got it right though.

Last Edited:
Following along as well. Been interested for a few years now, just can't take the first step. Can I ask a couple of noob questions?
- are these repeater towers expected to be up and running during shtf? Probably not a yes or no answer, but I'm curious. It looks like a whole different game without them.
- I am having a hard time resolving "get license, know what you are doing, operate with ettiquette" vs "just memorize the answers and get your license". So is it a matter of getting licensed to be legal, then figure it out as you go?
Good thread, thank you.
Oh yes, learn on the fly, it's all part of the fun. Lol. Regarding the etiquette though, just like we are encouraged to be excellent to each other here on NWFA, same applies to ham radio use. I would suggest programming your radios with the local repeaters and then just listen to the traffic. Also, go listen to the various nets to see how the community works in general. When off the repeater frequencies and in to the simplex channels, you can loosen up a bit with the etiquette as usually in a private conversation at that point. Repeaters are intended for shared use with the general ham community so excellence generally works in everybody's favor.

Look here: Western Oregon Radio Club Home Page Great repeater network. You can also do radio to landline calling if you so desire.

Also check out Beaverton CERT. They broadcast on Monday nights 8PM at: 444.75Mhz (tone 123 hz but don't worry about this until you are licensed). Anyone can monitor. There are other nets. Check out ARRL - Home
It's worth joining these orgs. It takes money to keep those repeaters running and they don't exactly make a profit.

As far as SHTF, repeaters are similar to cell towers as they require power to function. Depending on the SHTF scenario, they may be working when the cell towers finally drop dead or they may not. Depends. But that is a topic for a whole new thread.

As far as getting the license, yes, for practicality's sake you can just memorize the answers and pass it if you have just a weak pulse. It would behoove you though to get to know why they ask the questions they do. Take the test but make an effort to look up the stuff that doesn't make sense to you. It will be helpful down the road for your own benefit and will give you a better understanding of why ham works and is what it is. Besides, you don't want to look like too much of a rube if you can help it. We were all there at one point. There's a reason for the subject matter on the test.

Good thread, thank you.
Those "Ham" repeaters may be the only thing that's still up and running in the event of some kind of natural disaster. Many are solar powered, etc. Without a legitimately acquired "Call Sign" no Ham will speak to you. It's better for you, the hobby and other folks if you simply get a Technician's license. That will get you a Call Sign and Hams love to help new people into the hobby.

I re-posted this because I mixed up some stuff on the original. I think I finally got it right with this one, though. I hope... :)

Bushman: Are you on Tiger Mountain? I live in Auburn, and not only that...but the wife and I go to Tiger Mountain every four weeks. We have an upscale housecleaning business and a customer on Tiger Mountain. Maybe we can meet up and I will lend you the cable. We don't have employees. Just the wife and me and we are 'close to retirement age' to put it nicely.

I have the programming cable, and I own a UV-5R+, too. I bought mine three months ago, but I don't use it because I am still studying for the test. Go to Chirp website and download the program. That's the first thing. CHIRP is cool not only because you can set up your radio easy with it, but you can NAME the channels with LETTERS if you want. Can't do that programming manually...and trust me...you shouldn't even try it.

That other poster who told you to just buy the GMRS license was right. No test, just pay the fee. And although the FCC isn't really caring much these days on people using the multi-power level radios (Setting transmit power to either 2-4-8 watts), they WiLL pay you a visit if they catch you TX'ing on the ham freqs or GMRS freqs without a license. Not long ago they confiscated all the radios belonging to a snowmobile club and gave them big fines. The multi power feature is allegedly against FCC rules, too...but they don't enforce that one really. The no-license they do, and will, if they catch you at it.

As far as antennas go...they DO increase your range. That's been proven by tests demonstrated all over YouTube. There are a TON of selections at Amazon. But I like THIS ONE the best because it is extendable and retractable, and Nagoya makes it. Many others are not retractable and become a major PITA.

The all around best way to go for you is probably this:

1) Program all the freqs using CHIRP. You will have to download the program first onto your computer and put a shortcut on your desktop. I could help you if you wish, to program the radio. The CHIRP site will tell you which freqs are used in your general area. The radio holds 128 freqs, so you should only do the local ones. There are hundreds of freqs available, but thankfully CHIRP will auto-select the locals for you on a menu command.

2) Buy the no-test GMRS license. Until then, you can still TX on the FRS freqs. No license required for those, although technically you WILL be violating the transmit power restrictions on those freqs. But if you aren't a moron on those freqs, no one, including the FCC, will really care if use your Baofeng strictly as a FRS two way radio. Especially if you plan to get either a GMRS license, or later...a ham license.

3) DISABLE (you can do this) transmit mode for all the Ham freqs/GMRS freqs, and ENABLE all the ones that do FRS. No license required for FRS, as I said. There are about 22 of them if memory serves. Also DISABLE TX on the weather channels. After you at least get your GMRS license, then you can enable TX on those freqs as well. You might want to program in a couple of FM radio freqs along the way, and I believe the Baofengs don't allow you to enable TX on those anyway, if I recall. At the end of all this, you will be able to use the radio on FRS for now.

4) RENAME with letters the main FRS freqs you will be using. I did 'BobMain' for the FRS channel I use, for example. But...I don't even touch the radio right now because I'm going for the Ham license anyway. You can name the other 21 FRS freqs with 'FRS 1', FRS 2' etc. I believe you can also name the repeater freqs in your area, but those are trickier. You have to look up your local repeaters and I haven't done that yet. Still shaky on the repeater thing...lol...probably why I should keep studying for the license right? Then I would know what I was doing. :) I will give you my public email. It sounds generic, but I'm the only one who sees the messages. adventurebooksofseattle AT G Mail (I have a private one, but I don't put that on the internet) My name is Robert. It's okay for me to give you that address though. It's already all over the internet anyway because it is a business address. LOL...spam magnet for sure.

I should add that you CAN go onto a ham band under one circumstance. And only the one. If you were in the middle of a real emergency, I mean something REAL...you can TX on a ham band if that's the one and only way you can reach anyone for help. Other than that, no. And it had better be a real emergency.

NOTE: I edited this post heavily because I was mixing up the names of the different frequencies. I think I finally got it right though.
Using these radios, programming them, licensing, all the stuff that goes along WITH them...it's a learning process for sure. Like I said, I only bought my Baofeng three months ago and I'm probably 20% educated so far. Maybe less...

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads