JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have not done any cast aluminum since junior high metal shop. Great fun. I remember my metal shop teacher played a joke where he was showing use how braze metal but instead put the unlit acetylene gas torch in a ladle with soapy water. He lit the torch and put in the soapy water. BOOM!!! All of use couldn't hear for a while. My shop teacher put cotton in his ears.
In other words your shop teacher was an idiot!

You don't even need Google to get stuff.
Almost anything you can think of can be ordered from the Acme company.
Wile E. Coyote gets all kinds of good stuff from them.
I gotta find my catalog,, I know they had A-Bomb kits listed.

I am retired now. If I ever get settled, I would like to have a mill capable of multi-axis operation? I would also like to have a metal lathe capable on relatively good precision operations (boring/etc. and threading, cutting). I also want a MIG/TIG welder, oxy/acetylene torch/etc. and some other metal tools. I would not mind having a very small forge and heat treating setup.

Then I will take some refresher courses at the local comm college in metal working, metallurgy and welding - I used to know a little bit, enough to be dangerous in the shop.

Right now, I am looking for a decent used drill press with a milling table, but I have the router and jig, I need to setup my bench and vises and try that out. I also need a good bench/pedestal bench grinder and belt sander.

Not just for firearms, but also other stuff (vehicles, etc.).

Step one accomplished today: Got a halfway sturdy metal table/workbench that I can maybe put a drill press and grinder on. After months of looking on CL for something that wasn't $500. Granted, it is only 12 ga steel, but it will work - for now. Also saw a drill press and grinder, but one day at a time.

It may get through Congress but it will be DOA in the Senate. Even if it made it through both Houses, Trump would veto it.
Just goes to show what control freaks the Dem's in Congress are.

They know that it won't pass the Senate. This is nothing but a "Hey, look what I did" bill.
And those who say not to count on trump are right.
To say that the dems are control freak suggests the the others are better. LMFAO! They are all in it for themselves.

I used to be a CNC machinist, and still claim it somewhat, I still have my Kennady (machinists will know what that is), it's not as simple as "set it and forget it" to run a real CNC milling machine from scratch.

Heck the posts with the Youtube guy melting down cans or old brass is very proof of what I am talking about. In the Youtube videos, he uses manual milling equipment and most importantly skills learned that is not JUST making a lowers, is way different. That same guy can use his equipment and skills to manufacture about anything, it's not dedicated allowing anyone with the $ to spend to make as many nontraceable lowers as they wish. As for 80% lowers and router jigs, I personally think the jigs sold that specifically allows a router to "mill out" and finish 80% lower almost crosses the same line as dedicated CNC desktop mills. It's made to do one and one thing only with little to no skill to operate.

Again 100% for the right for someone to make their own firearm. (Like the guy on Youtube, rock on) There will always be someone looking to cash in on making it easy. 80% lowers seam to already be that. Pushing it further just makes 2A more of an uphill battle and takes focus on the true rights we are in the fight of our lives.
What "line?" Automation makes everything easy. Get used to it. Do you want to limit driving to vehicles that only have manual transmissions?

someone needs to come out with an 80% hunk of metal that when its completed by the end user is a functioning milling machine so we can continue to finish our own 80% lowers

:D:rolleyes:

There is also a huge hobbies and makers community that would be against this. People machine amazing parts for model aircraft, fix old engines, make pretty widgets, etc. With movements like the right to repair I think people are watching.

Yeah - the legislation is not something that would pass muster with industry and hobbyists - i.e., I doubt the authors gave it any serious consideration, it is just something to use for politics.

Beyond that, just too many ways to get around it. There isn't a farm or repair shop that doesn't have a drill press that couldn't also serve as a milling machine in a pinch, with the right jigs and a milling vise. Then there are all the routers and jigs out there too.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top