JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I guess I'm a lucky person, I have completed hundreds (and I mean HUNDREDS) of internet transactions buying and selling all kinds of stuff (to and from all over the world... i.e. Beijing, Bolivia, Mexico, all over Europe, Australia, Singapore, Thailand, etc.) and only had one seller/vendor not deliver (in NYC of course... LOL), but Pay-Pal got my money back (something like $12-$14... LOL), so I was only out the small amount of time it took for the claims process. I've never "lost" on a transaction, OR bilked someone else whether it was merchandise, money, OR their time.

I know this in an old thread, but I thought it would be better to bring this back to life than to start a completely new thread on the same topic, I hope you don't mind. I was just wondering if this had been discussed before, and clearly it has. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one this happens to.

I've had deals go bad, both as a buyer and a seller, though I haven't yet been ripped off or shafted, just stood up or ignored. To me, lack of communication at any point in the process is always my clue that things may not be on the up and up.

I understand if they don't want to take my offer, and honestly, no hard feelings if you don't want what I can offer to you. But take the 10 seconds to write a message and tell me that. Instead, I'm sitting here waiting for a response that may never come. Usually, I'll give them overnight, then will hit them with a follow-up message once more. I don't mind giving folks some time to respond - heck, you've got work, sleep, family issues, etc. Typically, if they don't get back to me within 24 hours, I'll move on and send them a message telling them I assume they're not interested. I am a very communicative person in a sale or trade, I think that is really important.

As for the cell phone idea folks discussed earlier, you're right, that's a good way to go. When I get a cell number from someone, I always make sure we exchange at least a text or two so I know it's actually their number. And on a day before or the day of the sale/trade, I like to re-confirm with the other party. I've never had a deal go bad when we did all that. It's when folks don't respond that things tend to go awry.

My latest trade was this week and the other party had great communication, in fact he hit me up with an "are we still on" message before I could send mine. I like that.

That's it for now, just my little mini-rant on this old topic. I guess times don't change much. I'll just move on from my last offer and try to find another. All it costs is some of my time.

Last Edited:
After a few more trades you will understand that failure to communicate or follow thru sometimes is the norm.
When you find, most, a person willing to work with you, follow thru is everything. Remember the 'Golen rule'
Have a Blessed, better day.

Thanks. I'm not new to online sales or trades, though I am newer around here. I've been burned on multiple fronts, though I've never lost money in those deals. It is all live and learn, and for me, the communication will always be a key telling point. If the communication is poor, I'll likely just move on. I also find it helps to never get yourself in a position where you are 'desperate' to make a purchase or a sale - that's when your common sense gets pushed to the side.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top