JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Remember, folks, Sept. 25th thru Oct. 2nd is the American Library Association's Annual Banned Book Week. Here follows a (very partial) list of books banned from American schools and libraries (as noted in the latest issue of the ARRP Bulletin:

Too Political:

Uncle Tom’s Cabin;
Harriet Beecher Stowe, 1852

All Quiet on the Western Front;
Erich Maria Remarque, 1928

A Farewell to Arms;
Ernest Hemingway, 1929

The Grapes of Wrath;
John Steinbeck, 1939

For Whom the Bell Tolls;
Ernest Hemingway, 1940

Animal Farm;
George Orwell, 1945

1984;
George Orwell, 1949

Dr. Zhivago;
Boris Pasternak, 1957

Slaughterhouse Five;
Kurt Vonnegut Jr., 1969

In the Spirit of Crazy Horse;
Peter Matthiessin, 1983

Too Much Sex

Madame Bovary;
Gustav Flaubert, 1856

Tess of the d’Urbervilles;
Thomas hardy, 1891

Ulysses;
James Joyce, 1922

The Sun Also Rises;
Ernest Hemingway, 1926

Lady Chatterley’s Lover;
D.H. Lawrence, 1928

Tropic of Cancer;
Henry Miller, 1934

Lolita;
Vladimir Nabokov, 1955

Peyton Place;
Grace Metallious, 1956

Rabbit, Run;
John Updike, 1960

I know Why the Caged Bird Sings;
Maya Angelou, 1969

Jaws;
Peter Benchley, 1974

Forever;
Judy Blume, 1975

The Prince of Tides;
Pat Conroy, 1986

Beloved;
Toni Morrison, 1987

How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents;
Julia Alvarez, 1991

Irreligious

On the Origin of Species;
Charles Darwin, 1859

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy;
J.R.R. Tolkien, 1954

The Last Temptation of Christ;
Nikos Kazantzakis, 1960

Bless Me, Ultima;
Rudolfo Anaya, 1972

Harry Potter series;
J.K. Rowling, 1997-2007

Socially Offensive

The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin;
Benjamin Franklin, 1791

The Scarlet Letter;
Nathaniel Hawthorne, 1850

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn;
Mark Twain, 1884

As I Lay Dying;
William Faulkner, 1930

Brave New World;
Aldous Huxley, 1932

Gone With the Wind;
Margaret Mitchell, 1936

Of Mice and Men;
John Steinbeck, 1937

Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl;
Anne Frank, 1947

The Catcher in the Rye;
J.D. Salinger, 1951

Fahrenheit 451;
Ray Bradbury, 1953

Too Kill a Mockingbird;
Harper Lee, 1960

James and the Giant Peach;
Roald Dahl, 1961

Catch-22;
Joseph Heller, 1961

A Clockwork Orange;
Anthony Burgess, 1962

One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest;
Ken Kesey, 1962

In Cold Blood;
Truman Capote, 1966

Cujo;
Stephen King, 1981

The Color Purple;
Alice Walker, 1982

Ordinary People;
Judith Guest, 1982

A Thousand Acres;
Jane Smiley, 1991

I, of course am a Politically, Morally, Religiously and Socially superior person as i have not read a one of them............

isher

I love banned book week! ALA is hands down my favourite org who stick their necks out for us concerning liberties. I have my dad's copy of Huck Finn from his high school completely unmolested by censors. SHTF and I'd want it to be with me. Give me Twain over God any day.

Neil Gaiman said he wasn't trying hard enough since his books were rarely challenged and not on the banned book list.

Neil Gaiman said:
Well, partly I was joking, and partly I was very serious. You know you're doing something that matters when people start trying to ban it. When the American Family Assocation and the "Concerned Mothers of America" wrote to tell us that they had blacklisted Sandman, I figured I was doing something right.

fahrenheit-451-1.jpe

If you asked me I would tell you I am not much of a Fiction reader. Then I went down that list realized I have read about 90% of them and would consider many to be some of the best books I have ever read.

So it totally makes sense to ban them :s0054:

Exactly. Many of these are very important works by some really important, famous authors. I had to read some of these in high school. I think the fact some of the content is edgier and makes reading more interesting.

It would also be nice if people understood the root of parodies. Many cartoon writers and comedy writers parody classic works.

I've always thought that if something struck enough of a nerve at a point in time to encourage censorship, it probably makes some strong statements that are worth reading. I prefer to have nothing censored. Censorship is completely contradictory to free speech.

To be clear, the ALA is not in support of banning these books.

It's no surprise to see that 'Atlas Shrugged' made the list. One of my favorite books of all time. The book banners really needn't be worried about it, considering that at 900 or so pages, most of the videogame generation couldn't even lift it, let alone attempt to read it.

Seriously, who would try to ban 'The Old Man and the Sea'?

Keith

You know his book was actually modified, unbeknownst to him.

Bradbury said:
Only six months ago, I discovered that, over the years, some cubby-hole editors at Ballantine Books, fearful of contaminating the young, had, bit by bit, censored some 75 separate sections from the novel. Students, reading the novel which, after all, deals with the censorship and book-burning in the future, wrote to tell me of this exquisite irony. Judy-Lynn Del Rey, one of the new Ballantine editors, is having the entire book reset and republished this summer with all the damns and hells back in place.

Jaws! What, there was sex in that book...?
I gotta read that again. I must have missed that part.:s0112:
The sad this is that I've read most of those books when I was younger and look how I turned out......maybe they are right...?:D

Actually, this is a very good reading list. If you read all the books listed, you would have a solid foundation of important, meaningful, well written books. Quite an educational, really.

(My hat's off to anyone finishing Ulysses; that's just plain hard work.)

Actually, this is a very good reading list. If you read all the books listed, you would have a solid foundation of important, meaningful, well written books. Quite an educational, really.

(My hat's off to anyone finishing Ulysses; that's just plain hard work.)

Not what I meant....the books in question are fine, the "OMG!!! they BANZORED mah booookZ!!!!!" is the trivial random "chain" e-mail crap that gets people worked up for nothing....

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top