JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I want to add to the collection and get a .338 win mag. I want to dial a large game rifle in and not have to worry about switching loads and what not around in the 30-06. Game specific rifle and loads. So bang for the buck what is a GOOD stainless, synthetic/composite stock rifle to be looking for? Nothing crazy priced, but quality....still need to put a good Leupold scope on it. Please advise

I have a Winlite model 70 in 338 and it is a wallop in either direction. I have an '06 Remington in a McMillian stock and it is super accurate with hand loads. I went to the 338 because of the significant, but marginal difference with the 300 Win. The 338 is a profoundly powerful round. However, if I had to do it all over again, I would skip the '06 and buy the 300 win. My 338 will produce 2.5 - 3" groups at 200 yrds with hand loads. In the lower 48 the only use for a 338 is elk or very big bears, but the '06 will stop any black bear fast!. 338 is right at home in Alaska.

If you have a "weak" shoulder for any reason or "weak neck" say from an auto accident with continued residuals the 338 will inflame that injury within a few shots as it does with mine. Remington's 338 are great as are the others that are referenced here.

I shoot a remington XCR 300 ultra mag with a leupold 4x20 v111 scope, which is plenty of gun for any animal you could ever want to hunt unless you're going on a big 5 hunt in Africa. It was very affordable and it is an amazing gun. Just a thought. They do make the same gun in .338. Have you looked into .30-378 caliber?

Another great gun in .338 Win-Mag not mentioned is the Browning A-Bolt or X-Bolt. Both seem expensive when looking at MSRP but I routinely see nice stainless A-Bolts at the PDX gun show for about $650.

My dad has one and it's light weight, great handling an excellent shooter and since it's a Browning, you know the quality is there.

If I get one of my own, I will have the barrel cut to between 20" and 22" and threaded for a brake to save my shoulder. I installed a Limbsaver on my dad's and it's now comfortable to shoot!

Although it's probably out of your price range, I had a Sako V action put on a Shilen barrel. I'm a lefty, and back when I had that thing built, Sako was the only company making a LH magnum action--not an entire rifle mind you, just an action. This is one sweet shooting rifle. I'm shooting 250 gr SGKs over 75 grs of H4831 at about 2850 fps.
I'm a recoil junkie.

I ended up finding a 338win. It was a custom pre-64 action with a 21" Douglass XX in a Kevlar stock. It had peep sights as well as a Leupy 2.5-8x36mm in tally QD mounts. Then I don't know what coating it has, Robar or something. My favorite rifle. Pretty managable recoil with almost any factory loads. The Hornady heavy mag loads can be pretty stiff, and make one **** of a fireball.

I think I got a really good deal on it, so it might be worth looking for a nice used model versus buying new. Somebody put a few $$$ into my rifle so I didn't have to.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top