JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
According to KATU 2 TV News at 4 today -
there were more deadly crashes in Portland, than murders.

This at the end of a story of 2 people being struck while crossing the street - at a corner (no lights, signs, nor lines) One died, the other is critical.

The problem with Portland is the pedestrians (for some reason) appear to believe they ALWAYS have the right of way and blatantly walk into the crosswalk as if challenging the cars. This happens a lot on West Burnside.

One of the things that scares the bubblegum out of me are the rehtards who slam on their brakes in a 35-40mph zone because some idiot is standing there wanting to cross regardless if there is a crosswalk or not. When it's a 4-lane road, those around that person don't always know why they hit the brakes and continue at speed. It's hard to believe more people aren't killed around here than there has been.

PORTLAND, Ore. - A pedestrian was struck and killed in southeast Portland Monday afternoon.
The crash happened around 5:30 p.m. at the intersection of Southeast 84th Avenue and Powell Boulevard.
The pedestrian, a woman who has not yet been identified, was killed instantly, according to police.
The driver remained at the scene and cooperated with police, who said they did not believe the crash was alcohol-related.
<broken link removed>

PORTLAND, Ore. &#8211; A 78-year-old woman was killed and her 80-year-old husband was injured Friday after they were both hit by a vehicle in Southeast Portland Friday morning as they were crossing the street in an unmarked crosswalk, police said.
<broken link removed>

Pricks in cars are the real problem. Just because you own a car does not give you the right to kill people. An "unmarked crosswalk" is still a legal crossing, even if you are in the middle of texting, drinking, burning a doobie and trying ot get to work on time.

801.220 "Crosswalk." "Crosswalk" means any portion of a roadway at an intersection or elsewhere that is distinctly indicated for pedestrian crossing by lines or other markings on the surface of the roadway that conform in design to the standards established for crosswalks under ORS 810.200. Whenever marked crosswalks have been indicated, such crosswalks and no other shall be deemed lawful across such roadway at that intersection. Where no marked crosswalk exists, a crosswalk is that portion of the roadway described in the following:(1) Where sidewalks, shoulders or a combination thereof exists, a crosswalk is the portion of a roadway at an intersection, not more than 20 feet in width as measured from the prolongation of the lateral line of the roadway toward the prolongation of the adjacent property line, that is included within:
(a) The connections of the lateral lines of the sidewalks, shoulders or a combination thereof on opposite sides of the street or highway measured from the curbs or, in the absence of curbs, from the edges of the traveled roadway; or
(b) The prolongation of the lateral lines of a sidewalk, shoulder or both, to the sidewalk or shoulder on the opposite side of the street, if the prolongation would meet such sidewalk or shoulder.
(2) If there is neither sidewalk nor shoulder, a crosswalk is the portion of the roadway at an intersection, measuring not less than six feet in width, that would be included within the prolongation of the lateral lines of the sidewalk, shoulder or both on the opposite side of the street or highway if there were a sidewalk. [1983 c.338 §36]

So, you don't own a car?

I've sat at a 4 way with some idiot standing with his back to me on the sidewalk facing the same direction. I want to turn right, can't because I don't know what the pedestrian has on their mind. They are oblivious as to my presence and it isn't until someone traveling right to left stops at the intersection that Mr. Airhead waves them through.

Step the hell back from the corner and space out. Like your Mother told you, "Look both ways before you cross the street!"

One guy in the history of cars caused you to pause at one intersection and you want to cry?

Grow a pair already.

As I said, owning a car does not give you the right to kill people. Use what little manners you have as often as possible and the world won't know how badly your parents failed at raising a decent human being.

Read the law,,,,,,,,,,,,or find someone who can read and have them explain it to you. Just because a person steps out of a car does not mean they are fair game for your fantasy of murdering someone walking.

You want the list of Idiots that think the traffic traveling at 30 MPH can stop on a dime? Sheesh, you must not have much road time! If you are going to insinuate that I cannot read, I will insinuate that you are incapable of rational thought! Take a hike off a short cliff!!

The average car can stop from 30mph in about 45 feet, with a monkey from Siuslaw River at the wheel the reaction time will be about 14 seconds. So it seems daunting and nearly impossible to stop a car by simply braking.

Now, imagine a person of normal intelligence. Maybe you saw one on TV or something. That person has a reaction time of about .6 seconds. They would see a person waiting at a crosswalk or God forbid, in a crosswalk and simply move their foot from the gas to the brake pedal and come to a gentle stop in about 75 feet.

You don't have to worry about rational, reasonable or intelligent thought ever being used to describe you or your mental abilities.

Maybe your child will get killed crossing the street sometime. Better yet your parents. You can look at their corpse and smile knowing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,they deserved to die. According to you, they had no right to expect to live, they had dared to exit a car and walk.

I have seen dozens of peds play chicken or dare with cars at a crosswalk. Sometimes you can stop in time sometimes you cant. Just be sure to stop at the scene if you hit one of the slower sheep that doesnt realize the person doing 30 or 40 miles an hour 50 feet down the road cant stop in time. :s0155:

The average car can stop from 30mph in about 45 feet, with a monkey from Siuslaw River at the wheel the reaction time will be about 14 seconds. So it seems daunting and nearly impossible to stop a car by simply braking.

Now, imagine a person of normal intelligence. Maybe you saw one on TV or something. That person has a reaction time of about .6 seconds. They would see a person waiting at a crosswalk or God forbid, in a crosswalk and simply move their foot from the gas to the brake pedal and come to a gentle stop in about 75 feet.

You don't have to worry about rational, reasonable or intelligent thought ever being used to describe you or your mental abilities.

Maybe your child will get killed crossing the street sometime. Better yet your parents. You can look at their corpse and smile knowing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,they deserved to die. According to you, they had no right to expect to live, they had dared to exit a car and walk.

I've logged over 300,000 miles driving. One traffic stop when I was 17, no citation. No accidents, no dead pedestrians. You're sophomoric and out of line!

And people still have the right to cross the street,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,whether you like it or not. The fact they interupt your texting and cause you to slam on the brakes says more about crappy driving than bad walking.

I've seen far more lousy drivers than bad walkers in the last 35 years on the road.

At the end of the day, "Car vs Pedestrian" the car always wins.
So it behooves the pedestrian to be extra vigilant no matter who has the right of way.

One guy in the history of cars caused you to pause at one intersection and you want to cry?

Grow a pair already.

As I said, owning a car does not give you the right to kill people. Use what little manners you have as often as possible and the world won't know how badly your parents failed at raising a decent human being.

Read the law,,,,,,,,,,,,or find someone who can read and have them explain it to you. Just because a person steps out of a car does not mean they are fair game for your fantasy of murdering someone walking.

Are you kidding me?!
Pedestrians and bicyclists are some of the most uncourteous and dangerous out there!
Most of the time they don't even follow the law.. But john brown doesn't care.. He's after company trucks and folks with vehicles because he knows thats where the money is at.

So if I accidentally hit someone who is illegally crossing the highway at 4AM in all black and that makes me the aggressor or somehow in the wrong?

It sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder because perhaps you might not actually have a vehicle? Seriously man, pump the brakes.

As a journeyman I see pedestrian pricks, bicycle nazis and A-holes driving their various vehicles..

In general: people suck and with each passing day I lose more hope for humanity.

Teach your kids to look both ways and if a driver is close make eye contact and wait til they stop when you are at an intersection... it is the law but not everyone will stop, like motorcycles even if they see you, you may not register every time. No matter what you say, pedestrians do not belong on roads, they belong on sidewalks. They lawfully have the right to cross roads but at least be smart. You talk about texting drivers, I have seen more texting pedestrians step off a curb without even looking to see if a car is close. But its ok, according to you as long as texting is involved the texter is at fault and we can laugh when they die. YOU are an Id Iot.
Dont assume everyone can react or process in .06 seconds. an 18 year old driver vs a 40 year old vs a 85 year old... They all have different reaction times, different clarities and FOV in their vision. Muscle reaction time might be .25 seconds in an 18 year old and a full second in someone who is retirement age. You make a lot of assumptions and they are all wrong, you might be "lawfully" right but you will still be dead. I would rather be alive and give up my "lawful self righteousness" Check your attitude Mor on

If those people, half of whom ride bicycles, would just stay off the bottle they'd be able to get their drivers license back and not have to play "why did the hippy cross the road?".

Pricks in cars are the real problem
I take it this is a reference to yourself because I doubt are you have the innate ability to know the heart and mind of anyone other than yourself. Unless of course there is a DUI in your portfolio and it becomes annoying having to hoof it to work everyday and deal with those arrogant drivers passing by....but then again, I jump to conclusions with this statement much like you have.

Just because you own a car does not give you the right to kill people.
What a juvenile statement. Who in there right mind could possibly believe owning a car gives one the "right to kill people"

Just a hint...try not to use "you" statements since it suggests to the reader the comment is directed at them personally.
I doubt those "you" statements work well on the wife...if there happens to be one in your life.

Some of the comments above totally lack common sense. Physics here folks. A 3000 lb. car cannot necessarily stop on a dime and has blind spots that make it harder to see out of. Add to this that they are already watching traffic to be sure they don't hit other cars on the road. Pedestrians and even bicyclists have a big advantage in that they have a much wider angle of view that is not hindered. More importantly if there is any contact between a pedestrian and a 3000 lb. car the pedestrian is going to lose every time. Now add in a state that encourages pedestrians to walk out in front of traffic because the law says they can do so and you have a recipe for disaster.

Thanks RicinOr! Nice find.

Come on folks. Some of you guys remind me of the blind wise men all feeling an elephant. Each description is based on their own viewpoint. You're all right and that is not the salient point here. I'll copy paste it again, and thanks for SHOCKING STAT OP

Please re-read this. if it's true. Then consider what it means to the gun grabbers vs YOU (and I'm talking to youse all, not your wifes here:) The actual facts included are fuzzy at this time, for example, deadly crashes could be 2 of youse car crazed guys playing chicken with each other and the loser gets counted in, and there might be just cars or semi trucks or (whatever) and no pedestrians or bicycles involved although they might be. Might be a bicyclist killing a pedestrian as well included in that statistic. The stats would be worth looking for.

Murders may not be including accidental discharges. Here again for consideration:

"According to KATU 2 TV News at 4 today -
there were more deadly crashes in Portland, than murders."

Amazing....if true.

Some of the comments above totally lack common sense. Physics here folks. A 3000 lb. car cannot necessarily stop on a dime and has blind spots that make it harder to see out of.

Oddly enough,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the crosswalk is typically IN FRONT of the car. Most cars have a "windshield" made from glass or a similar substance that is easy to look thru.

Add to this that they are already watching traffic to be sure they don't hit other cars on the road. Pedestrians and even bicyclists have a big advantage in that they have a much wider angle of view that is not hindered.

Most walkers are mowed down, not struck from the side or rear of a car. Most bike riders are mowed down or clipped in the classic "right hook". That is when as idiot in a car looks right at them and turns in front of them anyway.

More importantly if there is any contact between a pedestrian and a 3000 lb. car the pedestrian is going to lose every time. Now add in a state that encourages pedestrians to walk out in front of traffic because the law says they can do so and you have a recipe for disaster.

Yes,,,,,,,,,,,,,DARN that law for giving rights to people without cars. A crosswalk is not complicated, you simply look up from your cell phone and observe the person waiting to cross, then slow down and let them cross.

Why do you Obama voters always assume that a person walking is a scumbag like yourselves? Walking is not a sign of a DUI anymore than ownership of a car is a sign of intelligence or reason.

Most of the anti-walking comments are simply a sign of intolerance, ignorance and hate, all signs of a leftist. You cannot imagine a person chooses a different way to move from place to place and you somehow fell the right to murder them for selecting walking. You then accuse them of some form of criminal behavior because they have opted to walk, amazing.

Anti-gunner use your anti-walking logic constantly, I wonder why?

Here is a funny crosswalk story for you.

Two weeks ago I was driving to my favorite gun store and had to drive thru a school zone at 330pm. Behind me was a tail-gating fatso about 450 lbs and slopped over the front seat of a Jeep Cherokee slurping on a Double Gulp of sugary goodness. When I slowed for the 8 kids waiting at the cross walk he started screaming, honking and flashing his lights. You could hear the fat tub-o-guts bellowing thru two sets of rolled up windows.

The kids waived me onward as they were waiting for another kid to join them and I drove on at 25mph. The fatso, pulled into the center turn lane and tried to pass me, screamin like an idiot, waving his soda and ranting as he drove by. I smiled and waived, pointed ahead of us and kept on driving.

Well Mr. Gut-truck looked up to notice the concrete median and six steel bollards designed to stop a fat loser from killing children in school zones and promply slammed on the brakes. That giant soda smacked the windshield and sugary goodness filled the vents of his car and drained onto the floor. From the size of this loser, it is apparent he will never clean it.

Fatso hates people who dare to slow down for crosswalks,,, Fatso hates people who slow for kids in school zones and yet people are required to do those things anyway. Fatso though he was the lord of all walkers and had the right to drive as he pleased. If he would have hit that concrete and those steel pilings,,,,,,,,,,,I would have laughed and left him there with pleasure.

All he had to do was use that 3000lb IQ test as intended and occasionally look out the glass viewing screen on the front of his truck and he would have had zero problems. But he was sooooo smart he never took the time to see where he was going.

lonegunman looks to be baiting or trolling, hard.
Id just assume not participate in this thread with him.

Perhaps the topic of vehicles versus pedestrians is a soft spot for him or perhaps he just has an axe to grind.. Either way his banter is far too negative and immature.
No good can come of further discussion with him.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top