JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Very serious subject. About the "why's" and whatnots of the very foundations of our or any modern society. Conjecture run amuck!
There is no universal.. otherwise it'd be ceded to and effected true/done. so here we are

Yeah... Stupid people sue for wrongful death... When they do not read the labels....

Sort of how Ruger now Roll Stamps every barrel, due to somebody pulling the trigger for them to go to ~sleep~

I put you on ignore, as my best guess is you do not read instructions very well....

philip :(

Well, I am sorry to see that you are so pro Paxil that you have to resort to ad hominem attacks like this on anyone that has concerns over it and other similar medications, and expresses a different viewpoint than you do.

You should not take such matters so personally, that you get off the subject like this, and take the ad hominem route. You need to realize that not everyone in the world is going to always agree with you. Not on any subject.

So please feel free to get off your high horse, and lose your most condescending attitude.

I like all on this site. Even Deadeye.
But sometimes passing judgement on people is kinda short sited. There are many out there that have been sexual abused as kids. Many raised by hooker moms, and crack head dads. It ain't a perfect world. So don't insist expectations on humans that have been involved in tough things. Life ain't black and white.
Please trust me, I used to believe 100% it was.
Walk a mile in his shoes first.

Last Edited:
Well, something happened in 2005 with Paxil. It went from the #1 prescribed antidepressant, to no longer being in the top 25. There was a lot of online chat in 2005, of people suddenly having their doctor switch them to different medication.

Something must have prompted this. But I've yet to find anything in searches to explain why this change took place??

I often wonder if the drug companies hide things from the public.

http://www.medschat.com/Discuss/Paxil-removed-from-market-158316.htm

If it is in a negative effect to the profitability of the corporate pill makers then it is kept hush hush.
They only care about their profit margin!!!!

Was it because they lost there patent and the generic came out?

Perhaps, but there were many reports in online forums of people saying that their doctors had suddenly decided to stop prescribing Paxil. Would they do that, if a cheaper generic had simply become available? If anything, would that not then make the drug more attractive for doctors to prescribe, since it would then cost their patients a lot less?

That scenario you describe would imply that doctors are in collusion with drug manufacturers. And more interested in prescribing drugs to fatten their corporate profits, than doing what is best for the patient.

I don't think that doctors could be that low and selfish. Certainly people will value morality and ethics over money. At least I hope that they would.

I saw this article today from a study in Sweden.

http://journals.plos.org/plosmedicine/article?id=10.1371/journal.pmed.1001875

Summary from Journal Watch (site that summarizes articles by physicians for physicians, the media is not involved:

Do SSRIs Increase Violent Criminal Acts?

Barbara Geller, MD reviewing Molero Y et al. PLoS Med 2015 Sep.

Low doses are associated with violent crimes in 15- to 24-year-olds, according to a Swedish registry study.

Although it is well established that youth commit most crimes, whether use of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) are related to violence in this age group is less clear. To study this relationship, investigators analyzed registry data on 856,493 people in Sweden who received an SSRI prescription, 8377 of whom were convicted for a violent crime against a person.

Data analyses compared crimes when individuals were on or off SSRIs and controlled for other psychotropic medications and reverse causality (i.e., SSRI prescribed after the crime was committed). Subjects were placed into 10-year age groups, beginning with ages 15 to 24, until age 45 (due to low crime rates later in life). Conviction risk was significantly associated with SSRI treatment periods but only at low doses in the 15–24 age group. Arrests and nonviolent convictions also showed significant associations.

COMMENT
Increased violence in adolescents on low-dose SSRIs argues for increased vigilance during SSRI initiation, when doses are likely to be lowest and risk for suicide is highest (BMJ 2015; 350:h517). By contrast, other work suggests that using low doses during SSRI initiation should lower suicide risk by allowing neurons time to reset serotonin autoreceptors (NEJM JW Psychiatry Jul 2015 andTransl Psychiatry 2015; 5:e563), although risk for teen self-harm increases only with high-dose antidepressants (JAMA Intern Med 2014; 174:899). Increased aggression in adolescents on SSRIs may also be due to switching to mania, a known risk factor for suicide/homicide. This is especially important in childhood because it cannot be known whether a first depressive episode is the start of a unipolar or bipolar course. Overall, young patients on SSRIs, regardless of dose, need monitoring for aggression, and those with bipolar family histories should not receive SSRIs.

@bolus are SSRI's in that group of medications which cannot just be stopped? That you have to 'wean' off of?

Stopping isnt dangerous, it just causes some annoying symptoms like headache or dizziness. it isnt dangerous though. We taper to reduce any withdrawal symptoms since most people dont want to feel crappy for a few days.

Its unfortunate that these meds are used a lot because it is easier. I have 15 minutes with a patient who is seeing me because of the lack of mental health providers. I dont have time to get to the bottom of all their stresses and real reason they are depressed. Its easier just to write a prescription. I try not to just jump to that. A lot of times the patient also wants an easy quick solution. They dont want to see a therapist, they just want a pill which makes everything better.

Same thing for kids and ADD meds and antidepressants. Though the pediatricians I work with use medications as last resort for kids.

It is difficult when patients have to wait a month to see a mental health provider when they just got out of the hospital for a suicide attempt. The less urgent issues wait even longer or dont get seen at all.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top