JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Depression is a symptom of something else going on in ones life ( usually) yes anti depressants can help but shouldn't be taken forever one needs to work through there issues and learn coping skills and the depression will go away (most of the time) and with kids I think you're playing with fire giving them anti psychotic drugs there minds are still developing and some depression is normal for teens since there dealing with peer pressures and trying to find were they fit in and not to mention the dysfunctional family situations. Teens doing mass shootings didn't exist 25 yrs ago, just about that time the doctors and schools started insisting kids need to be on Ritalin and then anti depressants that's when it all started!!!

Just my personal observation and life experience!!!

Stacy

Reason:
They didn't cope. Major personality disorders resulted in suicide, accidental death, or penal and medical institutionalization.

Some people actually have a chemical imbalance. Some of them were committed into asylums. With a larger population those with physical issues is also larger.

Though the current imbalance of life now days does have a lot to do with the excessive use.

I'm sorry, but I still blame the parents for a lot of this.
I find it hard to imagine a lot of the crazy kids that commit crimes grow up in good well rounded homes.

It's the lack of unconditional love, patience, putting your kids needs before your own, and good old fashioned discipline!

Some kids are just mentally defective. Just like adults. They will never be able to join regular society.
And we need to stop being cry baby liberal parents who can't get that through their heads.
Ie. Adam Lanza's parent's.

Depression is a symptom of something else going on in ones life ( usually) yes anti depressants can help but shouldn't be taken forever one needs to work through there issues and learn coping skills and the depression will go away (most of the time) and with kids I think you're playing with fire giving them anti psychotic drugs there minds are still developing and some depression is normal for teens since there dealing with peer pressures and trying to find were they fit in and not to mention the dysfunctional family situations. Teens doing mass shootings didn't exist 25 yrs ago, just about that time the doctors and schools started insisting kids need to be on Ritalin and then anti depressants that's when it all started!!!

Just my personal observation and life experience!!!

Stacy

We told our Dr. & school to pi$$ off, our son would not be forced to take ritilin!!!!:mad:

Well Dr. Just like any other situation want to have a cure all pill that will cure what ails you. There's no actual medical practice anymore. It's just subside the symptoms.
Have diabetes? Here some pills. And a sticker so you don't have to walk far.
Hey how about you eat right and get your fat arse on a treadmill.
Cured!!

Doctors just push what is easy for them and what they get sold through big pharma.

Well Dr. Just like any other situation want to have a cure all pill that will cure what ails you. There's no actual medical practice anymore. It's just subside the symptoms.
Have diabetes? Here some pills. And a sticker so you don't have to walk far.
Hey how about you eat right and get your fat arse on a treadmill.
Cured!!

Doctors just push what is easy for them and what they get sold through big pharma.

I think this is a really accurate point. I don't think kids weren't depressed "back in the day", I think a good majority self medicated, made poor decisions and / or found a way to cope outside of the medical field.

That being said, I DO think that doctors AND parents are sometimes too quick to seek a magic cure all pill for kids these days. And yes, throw some pills at a kid, who, on a good day has the judgment and decision making skills of a ...kid... who's body is still raging inside from new hormones, social pressures and growing pains? what could possibly go wrong there?

Not everything requires pills.

The name this drug is sold under here in the USA is Paxil. Back in the '90's and up to 2005, it was the most popular antidepressant for doctors to prescribe in the USA.

Now, however, it is not even in the top 25. Other drugs have since replaced it.

It is rather disturbing that it has taken a couple of decades to discover this problem. How many millions of pills did people take in the meantime?

And what potential undiscovered problems do all of these newer drugs perhaps have, that are currently unknown??

Kids also have a lot more social influences these days, internet, tv, social media.
Now it's hard not to be depressed with all that. Kids have too much.
When your a kid growing up with the outdoors to play with anything that you get is awesome.
Now by the time your 5 years old if you don't have the latest iphone your a loser and your parents suck life is hell.

And you have kids (high school/college) that take these drugs to get a leg up on their studies. To help with mental focus and retention.
Well anytime you add something to your body you have the potential to change how your body will act in te future.

No different than body builders taking steroids and synthetic insulin to build muscle.
Yeah you get huge and buff, but you end up destroying your body and give yourself full blown diabetes.

Look at bodybuilders 10 years later once their chemical stock has dried up. They are broken down sickly old men.

I see again, people trying to share knowledge, that is only Half Correct.

Paxil is a very safe medication, IF & When the patient follows their Doctors orders.

I left a Viet Nam Veteran's support group once, because several of the members were always ~putting down~ their VA prescribed Meds... while hearing the same group discussing going out to "pour back" a few Brews... Oh, and stop over to try my new "Bud" a toke or two....

Self Medication should not be mixed with Prescribed Pharmaceuticals.
Period. stop, Do, one, or the Other, not Both.

Paxil, has only One Major concern, that being: Not Following your Doctor's HELP, and ADVICE. If a patient feels Paxil is not for them, They Must TITRATE off of it, No Cold Turkey, just stopping.

My First Post above, the drug Was Paxil, they were Being Helped (IOW, feeling better, balanced, no longer depressed) so they simply STOPPED TAKING THE Medicine.

24 hours later they were suicidal. Who's Fault?

the Pharmacy Company that created the medicine? no....
The Pharmacy that filled the Script? No...
The Doctor, who Prescribed? probably not! (given, Proper Medical Advice was given)

The Patient did Not follow their Doctor's Advice!!! BINGO!

I had an inward smile about the Charles Whitman post: he was Bat Shiet crazy, his "last letter" asked that his Brain be studied for what was his problem.

It was found to have a Tumor in it...

The topic of Children and Psychotropic Medicine is another whole issue, and I firmly believe that Prior to Any medication, a Complete Study of the child should be performed, staring with
Diet, then Active-ness, awareness of surroundings... even as simple as Opthalmology! (do they need Glasses....????)

I would say Minimum, Two Psychiatrists, Agreeing on a medicine need, Prior to Minimum Dosages.

You can always gently Increase, but it is Way harder on the Patient, to decrease an over prescribed Psychotropic...

That is all for the night....

philip :confused:

Well, it is interesting that Paxil was once the #1 prescribed antidepressant, but now it is rarely given to patients.

I think that there has to be a reason for that. Why did all of these doctors stop prescribing it??

As mentioned above, prescriptions, like all developed items continue to be improved.... Why are there 2016 models of cars, when the 2014's can still be found on the lots of dealers?

At the beginning of Psychotropic Medications there was little choice in products and in dosages. Only the worst of worst Mentally Ill got them.

The mildest Psychotropic, then, would be equal to our heaviest drugs now... Twenty years ago, Paxcil was of of the lowest dose for effective treatment, I am sure it is stronger than the mildest now....

That is a guesstimate, I have not kept up with newer Products.

But Paxcil is still a widely prescribed medicine, for good reasons, it is very effective for those who have long term loss of serotonin....

philip ..... awake from a headache that won't go away... Should I use two Asprin, or two Tylenol, some Ibuprofen or Two shots of Jack Danials???????? :rolleyes:

Well, something happened in 2005 with Paxil. It went from the #1 prescribed antidepressant, to no longer being in the top 25. There was a lot of online chat in 2005, of people suddenly having their doctor switch them to different medication.

Something must have prompted this. But I've yet to find anything in searches to explain why this change took place??

I often wonder if the drug companies hide things from the public.

http://www.medschat.com/Discuss/Paxil-removed-from-market-158316.htm

Well, something happened in 2005 with Paxil. It went from the #1 prescribed antidepressant, to no longer being in the top 25. There was a lot of online chat in 2005, of people suddenly having their doctor switch them to different medication.

Something must have prompted this. But I've yet to find anything in searches to explain why this change took place??

"GlaxoSmithKline lost its patent on Paxil in 2003."
http://money.cnn.com/2005/05/11/news/fortune500/generic/index.htm
When a patent expires it means there's no longer a monopoly. Now I gather there are like 20 or something companies that offer Paxil.. that aren't called Paxil and or are very slightly modified. like it matters

Really?
1. Smoke some crack
2. Record the alterations to your mind
3. Hold some steel or polymer
4. Record the alterations to your mind

Pretty much the definition of apples to oranges lol

Comparing of "Smoking Crack" to Prescribed Pschotropics is is pretty much the definition of a Porsche compared to a home built Scateboard...

I am leaving this thread, it's gone through to many convoluted thoughts.

philip :(

Yeah... Stupid people sue for wrongful death... When they do not read the labels....

Sort of how Ruger now Roll Stamps every barrel, due to somebody pulling the trigger for them to go to ~sleep~

I put you on ignore, as my best guess is you do not read instructions very well....

philip :(

""Comparing of "Smoking Crack" to Prescribed Pschotropics""
Maybe i should have said take a cocaine lozenge? image.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR