JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So what's the alternative? Stop giving antidepressants to kids, and see if they start killing themselves more or less? I'm sure it would be MORE.

Psychoactive drugs are miracles. They've done more for mental health than anything else in history, times 1000. Administered appropriately, monitored correctly, they drastically help 99 people for every 1 they mess up (no, that's not an actual statistic).

Unfortunately, extrapolating that (not real) 99:1 figure over the hundreds of millions of people using them..... now you have a of lunatics. But it's better than the millions of lunatics you'd have if you didn't have the drugs at all, no?

It's not black and white. I do feel like the West over-medicates. Equilibrium needs to be found.

The Number one cause of the Unsafe is "not following the prescription, NOT The prescription itself.

I personally know someone who "Just got out" of the Salem storage facility, for Mental Health Issues....

They were feeling good, so they STOPPED Taking their Meds.

Most of the Psychotropic Medications require strict Monitoring to Cease/Stop use.

The Number Two Cause is overmedication, and/or MD's Prescribing without the needed Knowledge for the Exact Medication(s)

philip :mad:

Last Edited:
Depression is a symptom of something else going on in ones life ( usually) yes anti depressants can help but shouldn't be taken forever one needs to work through there issues and learn coping skills and the depression will go away (most of the time) and with kids I think you're playing with fire giving them anti psychotic drugs there minds are still developing and some depression is normal for teens since there dealing with peer pressures and trying to find were they fit in and not to mention the dysfunctional family situations. Teens doing mass shootings didn't exist 25 yrs ago, just about that time the doctors and schools started insisting kids need to be on Ritalin and then anti depressants that's when it all started!!!

Just my personal observation and life experience!!!

Stacy

So what's the alternative? Stop giving antidepressants to kids, and see if they start killing themselves more or less? I'm sure it would be MORE.

Psychoactive drugs are miracles. They've done more for mental health than anything else in history, times 1000. Administered appropriately, monitored correctly, they drastically help 99 people for every 1 they mess up (no, that's not an actual statistic).

Unfortunately, extrapolating that (not real) 99:1 figure over the hundreds of millions of people using them..... now you have a of lunatics. But it's better than the millions of lunatics you'd have if you didn't have the drugs at all, no?

It's not black and white. I do feel like the West over-medicates. Equilibrium needs to be found.

how did our kids cope with depression before the drugs were invented?

how did our kids cope with depression before the drugs were invented?

Kids were outside interacting with others instead of sitting on their butts behind a t.v.
I love to see my kids playing outside covered in dirt,mud, and whatever else you can imagine, just as I did growing up :D
The video games are kept to minimum :s0155: and so are the attitudes,as they use their energy for creative purposes..;)

Antidepressants are a joke. I took them from age 12-14 after my parents decided i was depressed. The drugs literally removed my ability to display sadness. Any sadness, getting in trouble, losing a game, coloring outside the line. No sadness allowed just rage. Simple things that i may have been bummed out about before made me irate, like punch you in the face for caring, irate. Its not a suprise people go mad when their force fed pills.

regarding violence, the real problem with these drugs is how much the pharmaceutical companies make off them....

Ritalin has been around a lot longer then 25 years. I took it for a year or so when I was in Grade school that was over 45 years ago. It did nothing for me. But it seamed to make mom (maybe she shouldn't have been on Valium) and that bat bubblegum crazy 5th grade school teacher I had think it did. I was a full out active kid. Worked on farms all summer and played outside most of the year. I was already building gas powered flying model airplanes from scratch in the 5th grade. I was just to active and smart for the Old bat teacher. She had the county come out and test me. the results were that I completed every test in record time and they told my teacher to stop screwing with me I was smarter then she was. Never heard a thing about it again.

They manned up, unlike today.

Many of them did but not all, like Ben said the ones that didn't cope back then wound up dead or institutionalized. Its these few individuals that are affecting us today because the meds are hiding the symptoms that made other people to interveine…. Today we have meds to replace man up lessons or worse, the problem is with the worse case individuals… like Newtown or Columbine. If I read this conversation correctly anyone concerned with gun rights should be concerned with the market for the meds created by the pharmaceutical companies who want to medicate every child for every little problem letting the ones that cant man up slip through the cracks undetected until they cant take it anymore and take it out on society.

Antidepressants are a joke. I took them from age 12-14 after my parents decided i was depressed. The drugs literally removed my ability to display sadness. Any sadness, getting in trouble, losing a game, coloring outside the line. No sadness allowed just rage. Simple things that i may have been bummed out about before made me irate, like punch you in the face for caring, irate. Its not a suprise people go mad when their force fed pills.
Depression is a symptom of something else going on in ones life ( usually) yes anti depressants can help but shouldn't be taken forever one needs to work through there issues and learn coping skills and the depression will go away (most of the time) and with kids I think you're playing with fire giving them anti psychotic drugs there minds are still developing and some depression is normal for teens since there dealing with peer pressures and trying to find were they fit in and not to mention the dysfunctional family situations. Teens doing mass shootings didn't exist 25 yrs ago, just about that time the doctors and schools started insisting kids need to be on Ritalin and then anti depressants that's when it all started!!!

Just my personal observation and life experience!!!

Stacy
Wrong, dead wrong, ever hear of Charles Witman?

Ritalin has been around a lot longer then 25 years. I took it for a year or so when I was in Grade school that was over 45 years ago. It did nothing for me. But it seamed to make mom (maybe she shouldn't have been on Valium) and that bat bubblegum crazy 5th grade school teacher I had think it did. I was a full out active kid. Worked on farms all summer and played outside most of the year. I was already building gas powered flying model airplanes from scratch in the 5th grade. I was just to active and smart for the Old bat teacher. She had the county come out and test me. the results were that I completed every test in record time and they told my teacher to stop screwing with me I was smarter then she was. Never heard a thing about it again.
and because you're so effin brilliant, today you are more successful than Warren Buffet, Bill Gates, and Zuckerberg, right?

and because you're so effin brilliant, today you are more successful than Warren Buffet, Bill Gates, and Zuckerberg, right?
Hahaha,I was going to leave it alone
No he's a truck driver,lol
Kids and families DID cope with it.Th kids were given something to do.
We use drugs on or kids like trainers use shock collars on dogs,for fast results. No sense doing something like SPENDING TIME WITH YOUR CHILDREN out side.
Sure there has always been some kids that had problems and needed help.
But now we have ....well certain personalities like certain drugs. Funny,hyper folks like speed type drugs and slowed down mellow folks like depressants .........
so you have they same kind of personalities drawn to the same parties and drugs. Now they have sex and have little babies that like the same drugs cause mom had them in her system while pregnant.
Still if we would spend more time with the kids and make them active instead of giving them too much food and video games to keep them off our backs,maaybe we could keep them off the meds
This is the worst subject to bring up but maybe it would be good if we controlled who had kids. Then we wouldn't have a bunch of kids having kids...... that are already addicted to drugs

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top