JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions

A ballot measure that will require you to keep your self defense firearms locked up and unavailable is moving forward.
Ballot Measure 40 has collected enough signatures to get a ballot title from the Attorney General.
In Oregon, the Attorney General is a vocal anti-gun radical.. You can rest assured she will do all she can to write the most sympathetic ballot title possible. Of course, we will be doing all we can to prevent that.
The simple truth is, mandatory gun luck up laws are unconstitutional. This is not in doubt. The US Supreme Court made that clear in the Heller decision.
So now we have no choice but to gear up to fight them in court. We simply must not allow them to write a ballot title that misleads Oregon voters. They need to know that under the proposed ballot measure, victims of theft in Oregon will face harsher penalties than gun thieves will. It's insane.
Please consider contributing as much as you can to our legal fund to to stand in the way of this madness. If we don't succeed all Oregonian gun owners will face severe legal jeopardy simply for having the means to defend themselves and their loved ones.
You can make a tax deductible donation here .
Please choose "Oregon Firearms Educational Foundation" from the "Donation Category" drop down menu to ensure that your donation qualifies for a tax deduction. Thank you for your commitment to liberty.

I believe there is a bill moving forward in Michigan that would hold the owner of any "gun-free zone" property responsible for any harm that befell someone while in that zone. Maybe we need to take the same approach and hold any of these legislators directly responsible for anyone who is hurt or killed in their home because they couldn't get to their gun in time to use it defensively.

I believe there is a bill moving forward in Michigan that would hold the owner of any "gun-free zone" property responsible for any harm that befell someone while in that zone. Maybe we need to take the same approach and hold any of these legislators directly responsible for anyone who is hurt or killed in their home because they couldn't get to their gun in time to use it defensively.
This needs to go up as a counter initiative for sure. Should be our answer to the red flag laws and push some stuff back on them for a change.

While I share the standard disdain for this IP, something that I think is worth noting is that it's a law requiring (essentially) that any firearms not on your person need to be locked up, which is what most responsible gun owners already do. Whether or not I keep a pistol in my bedside drawer at night in my home where there are no children is my business exclusively, unless you come in my home uninvited and with ill intent.

Whatever you do, if this passes, make sure that at the very least your safe door is open when the cops show up if you need to use a firearm for defensive purpose in your home.

Washington did something stupid like this, and now Oregon is going to do the same thing.

Let's see which state does the next stupid thing. :mad:

When is enough, enough!!!

How does it pass constitutional muster??? I read somewhere that one of the SCOTUS opinions was that we still have the option of having a firearm on our person in the home, or within reach, therefore satisfying the need for self defense.

How is it enforceable??? Well, if it's like previous laws that I read, it will be able to penalize those individuals that are found to not be compliant when the popo is there on other biz... this does happen when they find guns in the open or hidden in homes of domestic violence calls, etc. And one of the main ways will be to penalize those whose firearms are taken by their kids or others. Hard to say you had it locked up if your 5 yr old got it. So the law is primarily about assigning blame and penalties, not about prevention.

As I've said, I will fight this... I have no kids in my home, ever, and my home is locked... so if any criminal steals my firearm, it's on the criminal. Ain't nobody's bidness but my own!!!

Makes zero sense as a law.
It also dictates how those who live alone should lead their lives. No kids, roommates or spouse... why on earth do i need to lock anything up?

Someone should really send those motards the youtube link showing how easy safes and cabinets are to break into, in addition to home invasion locked up firearm acquisition response time data.

Then again.. we all know this is just about control.

Makes zero sense as a law.
It also dictates how those who live alone should lead their lives. No kids, roommates or spouse... why on earth do i need to lock anything up?

Indeed and this is a good point: a one size fits all firearms storage requirement makes no sense. In our household there are two adults who shoot, but there also two small children, so we have to go to great lengths to keep them out of the hands of a curious wee ones. The same wouldn't be true of, say, a bachelor.

Indeed and this is a good point: a one size fits all firearms storage requirement makes no sense. In our household there are two adults who shoot, but there also two small children, so we have to go to great lengths to keep them out of the hands of a curious wee ones. The same wouldn't be true of, say, a bachelor.
The most ridiculous part is how they handle stolen firearms. If a crime was committed to be able to obtain my firearm such as breaking into my house or destroying my property, then I should NOT be held accountable. The criminal should. But that's not their goal.

The most ridiculous part is how they handle stolen firearms. If a crime was committed to be able to obtain my firearm such as breaking into my house or destroying my property, then I should NOT be held accountable. The criminal should. But that's not their goal.

Agreed. That is completely insane. :mad:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads