JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Many here have heard of it and use it. Many here have heard of it and wouldn't use it if it were to be the last thing on the planet. Some soak up it's, uh, unusual odour - some might even say taste[ more of that later], and others retch at the merest hint of it at a distance of hundred of feet..

Of course, it has so many uses that there were oft-seen competitions for yet another application, if you will forgive the word, for shooting both old and new firearms, cleaning and lubricating them inside and out and preserving when after putting them away. It has been used by muzzleloaders on patched ball, and for removing the post-shooting detritus later. In similar fashion it can be found around modern firearms, too, indeed, sitting here in my little work-shed, I'm gazing fondly at a one litre can of the stuff while I write this screed.

It has been used by the original inventors - Germans, natch, since 1905 until the end of WW1 - when wholesale gun-cleaning ceased to play a major part in German lifestyle, but later came back to popularity with the resumption of the arms industry, both military and civilian. I bleeve that it has near-worldwide sales, but I could of course, be wrong there - for instance, I never saw any in Japan.

However, my little story today concerns another use for this handy concoction, one that may not have immediately occurred to you, if ever. It is said to be a 'lightning pick-me-up and invigorator of great efficaciousness/hood/ship [whatever]', and by none other a personage than my late Great Uncle Jack. John W******l not only survived the great War of 1914 -1918, but went through it mostly unharmed, except by gas. He claimed that much of his invulnerability could be set at the foot of his infamous 'pick-me-up', and please note that I have never tried it, nor would wish to under any circumstances whatsoever.

I therefore strongly advise you all to do likewise.

A little basic information before we move on to the krux of this post -

Ballistol is a portmanteau name derived from 'ballistic' and 'oil' [in German] and originated from Germany before WW1, after the German military requested an 'all-around' oil and cleaner for their rifles and equipment. The German military used it from 1905 to 1945.

The chemical is a yellowish clear liquid with a consistency expected of a light oil. However, when it comes in contact with water it emulsifies, becoming a thick creamy white substance. It has a sweet and mildly pungent smell similar to black licorice/aniseed. You can instantly see the apparent if delusionary connection with alcoholic and other confectionary like Ouzo, Anise and so on. It is sold and distributed in both liquid and aerosol forms. The aerosol uses butane or propane as a propellant.

It advertises that it has no carcinogens. Some other similar chemicals contain petro-chemicals which can pollute the environment if improperly handled.

My great uncle Jack was famed for using it as a component of his notorious lightning pick-me-up after a 'bout of misery' in the trenches of WW1. The recipe goes as follows -

1. A regular-sized glass tumbler of about 1/3rd of an imperial pint is filled 2/3rd with clear methylated spirits [in the UK this usual contains a purple dye, and, if consumed in any decent amount, turns the lips a similar and unhealthy shade.]

2. Topping the glass of with California Syrup of Figs, add to that

3. A heaped spoonful of Krueschens effervescent liver salts.

4. While it fizzes away, add a few drops of Ballistol - looted from the late owners of a handy but no-longer operating Maxim gun - and drink the whole thing straight down.

I well remember him noting that, apart from suffering total decapitation, as fatal in those days as it is now, a body might well respond with nigh-on instant signs of animation within seconds of imbibing the brew.

*Not safe for human consumption.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top