Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Ballistics Tests in Water Jugs for Several .40S&W and 12 Gauge rounds

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by 180gr40, Dec 18, 2012.

1. 180gr40

180gr40 N. Snohomish Co., Washington Member

I have had a cheap, little hobby over the past several years that involves shooting various rounds of .40 S&W and 12 gauge through water in water jugs. I can't afford the ballistic gelatin and I fully realize that my style can't rightly be related to wound channels and ballistics in flesh. I was just interested in seeing the differences between the various types of ammo; their travel depths, expansions, and the devastation they caused during flight. Here's a link to my Photobucket page that shows my write-ups on it if anyone is interested:

Ballistics Tests in Water Jugs 40SW and 12 Gauge Photos by 180gr40 | Photobucket

2. Ironbar

Ironbar Tigard, OR Well-Known Member

Sorta like the Box 'O Truth guy. Nice job. And it sort of like I've always through all along: there's not a helluva lot of difference between all those defensive ammo's.

3. gunfreak

gunfreak Boise Well-Known Member

You can also use a stack of phone books. Duct tape them together and set em out in the rain. After they swell up set them up and shoot. Faster the bullet thicker the books.

4. 180gr40

I haven't tried drywall or bullet-proof glass like they do at Box-O-Truth, or wet phonebooks because my kids drink milk like water and the empty jugs are immediately available. So instead of throw them away, I'll shoot em to oblivion and burn em.

I have done all that I can do to get my wife to enjoy shooting - and she does. So shooting into water jugs rather than just at a paper target is much more gratifying for her.

5. 180gr40

Might I add that the Grizzly Bear round of choice for me is definitely the Centurion "Round Ball". I was surprised at how much more damage that round did than all of the others, even the pricey Brennekes.