JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking at ballistic helmets to round out my LARPing kit (already have plate carrier with ceramic front, rear and sides). Intended use would be for potential without rule of law scenarios and looking cool in my basement.

It seems like the "high cut" with side rails are what the pros are using because you can mount electronic ear protection to them, which seems like an easy "yes" etc.

However, there are other cuts, such as the MICH, that offer more protection and say that they integrate with ear-pro, coms etc. I'm aware that you can get mini ballistic panels to attach to a high cut to cover your ears but this seems like extra cost and not as effective as a solid helmet.

Should I just take the easy answer, get a high cut and move on, or is the greater protection offered by the MICH style worth considering?
MICH:

mich.jpeg

hi cut:
hi cut.jpeg

How often are you going to mount your ear pro and then unmount it? Or are you planning on leaving it on and always wearing the bucket when you go to the range?

As a prepper and someone who can't seem to pass up a good deal on guns and ammo, I have set aside quite an investment in both for SHTF - probably more than I will ever need even if SHTF. Also been working on food, comms, fuel, etc. and other preps for a while.

Two things I have not spent a cent on (except for a flak vest which is too small now) is body armor and night vision. But I should. If I spent 10% of what I spent on guns and ammo, I would be set up well for body armor for myself and my kids.

I have been put off by the cost though and the fact that while I shoot guns and use ammo, rotate food and sometimes use other preps, I think about the only time I would use body armor would be if SHTF actually happens.

I have been looking at the FAST helmets, in part because they would work well with my Peltor comms gear, in part because they work with NV and other gear. But also, weight is an issue with myself and my kids.

How often are you going to mount your ear pro and then unmount it? Or are you planning on leaving it on and always wearing the bucket when you go to the range?

Since my range is my own private range, I would not feel like a dork wearing the helmet, plus I have extra hearing protection beyond the four Peltor headsets I bought used should I need to wear only hearing protection alone (I often use hearing protection while operating machinery).

Don't put too much time, energy into a ballistic helmet. Folks who don't wear a helmet all the time don't have the neck muscles built up for it and you won't even wear it come SHTF.

Plus if you take a round in the head you're out of the fight anyway. You may live but you'll certainly be knocked TF out.

Just get a bump helmet. They're light, cheaper, and can mount nods and ear pro just as well

Ballistic helmets really only exist for stopping shrapnel and thats why they were designed. They're not stopping rifle rounds and if you catch a handgun round yourr still looking at blackface deformation bad enough for potential permanent brain damage.

I dont think there will be much shrapnel from explosives in a civilian SHTF scenario.

Don't put too much time, energy into a ballistic helmet. Folks who don't wear a helmet all the time don't have the neck muscles built up for it and you won't even wear it come SHTF.

Plus if you take a round in the head you're out of the fight anyway. You may live but you'll certainly be knocked TF out.

Just get a bump helmet. They're light, cheaper, and can mount nods and ear pro just as well

I've taken a few hard hits to the head (and yeah, no jokes about how that explains a lot :rolleyes: - actually it does), including ones with a helmet on while at speed. The worst caused temporary and permanent memory loss.

The difference in cost between the two is just a couple hundred $ and the weight diff about one pound. I personally am used to wearing a helmet a lot heavier than a FAST helmet.

It is the cost and weight of the rest of the armor that gives me pause.

FWIW, I am not going to be wearing this protective gear 24/7 if SHTF.

The old PASGT helmets are a better deal. But also look for surplus CVC(combat vehicle crewmember) helmets if you're going to wear large ear pro and comms, or such. Since I wear ear pro that does more than the foam plugs, I just use an old (mid 00s) ProTec high cut bump helmet thats based on their Alpha Skate series :s0033:

I have spare electronic ear pro that I could dedicate to the helmet. Also, I do train with my plate carrier regularly and wear it to 3 gun matches, despite uspsa gamers poking fun*. When I first got body armor, I found it somewhat awkward to wear while shooting on the move so I gladly wear it to train because now I can shoot, reload, transition between firearms and move in it easily.

*As an aside, I find it odd that uspsa guys think it's cool to shoot in a pro bowling jersey while turning up their noses to LARPing in tactical gear that is actually designed for people who fight with firearms professionally.

I've taken a few hard hits to the head (and yeah, no jokes about how that explains a lot :rolleyes: - actually it does), including ones with a helmet on while at speed. The worst caused temporary and permanent memory loss.

The difference in cost between the two is just a couple hundred $ and the weight diff about one pound. I personally am used to wearing a helmet a lot heavier than a FAST helmet.

It is the cost and weight of the rest of the armor that gives me pause.

FWIW, I am not going to be wearing this protective gear 24/7 if SHTF.
With my background in jiu jitsu and other martial arts, my neck is decently strong. As such, I feel like I could handle the weight and/or acclimate to it by wearing the helmet around for training sessions.

I have no idea how this translates into helmet selection. But it is food for thought.

YES! I watched this episode and realized I needed to get with it and get a helmet. Also, thinking about NODs in the next year or two, so I'd want a helmet to mount them rather than spending the money on a NOD headstrap thing.

Head over to EBAY and purchase a "USGI CVC [Combat Vehicle Crewman] Helmet, DH-132B or other Level #A model and make your own. Lot's of satisfaction in doing so, great get your buddies together and team building project.

USMC "H" chin strap
Team Wendy Padding Kit
etc...

Head over to EBAY and purchase a "USGI CVC [Combat Vehicle Crewman] Helmet, DH-132B or other Level #A model and make your own. Lot's of satisfaction in doing so, great get your buddies together and team building project.

USMC "H" chin strap
Team Wendy Padding Kit
etc...
Thanks, the used market seems like a great idea. Is it possible to fit Howard Leights or Peltors under a CVC?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top