JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I've got a few pieces parts that I want to refinish. They are the slide releases from a few of my Glocks that I've welded a small piece of steel to, acting as an extension. Does anyone here have any experience with the various finishing products on the market, specifically the oven cured kind? Comments, concerns, where to buy, etc.

Ive used the Wheeler Ceramacote on a slide. Its already gotten chipped with little to no usage. It doesn't seem to be very durable.

Ive used them all . Cerakote is going to be your toughest finish . Its an epoxy finish that is tougher than every other finish out there . For a one part finish the 2300 and 2400 KG Gunkote are a second to cerakote. Both smell terrible during the application process. Get a small airbrush and clean up immediately after.

If you dont have a Brownells acount ...get one. FWIW you can get a steep discount on gunsmith supplies from Brownells if you sign up for a C&R FFL. Some items you'll be money ahead with one order.

I have have used the dura coat different colors you have to use air brush to spray it on and just use a heat gun to get the drying process started or just let it dry for good 36 hour's I can not comment on the durability as I have just used it recently and not really put it through any type of long term use I got it off eBay and you will have to pay a hazmat shipping fee

Not the sort of thing you'll usually find locally. That oven bake teflon moly is quite soft too compared to some other available finishes and scratches easily.

Not the sort of thing you'll usually find locally. That oven bake teflon moly is quite soft too compared to some other available finishes and scratches easily.

I assumed he meant something that he would do any home easily. I'd easily vote cerakote if I was having a shop do it for me. For something easy at home I'd had the best luck with the brownells stuff

I assumed he meant something that he would do any home easily. I'd easily vote cerakote if I was having a shop do it for me. For something easy at home I'd had the best luck with the brownells stuff
You can do cerakote and kg gunkote at home quite easily. Even a $9 harbor freight spray gun works fine .

Something important about bake-on finishes not mentioned so far.

DO NOT BAKE YOUR PARTS IN YOUR HOME OVEN!

Various reasons. Creates a GAWD-awful stink in your kitchen that may take days to disperse. Anything cooked in your oven for a long time may have the tang of burnt polymer - and may produce an episode of "Montezuma's Revenge" to boot.

(Don't ask me how I know!)

Find another way. I found a portable oven at the Goodwill that I use for baking finishes onto parts. Outside.

Btw, I've found Brownell's aerosol can Gun-Kote is as good a general-purpose finish as you'll find. You can bake on multiple coats - on at a time - in high-wear areas too. Other finishes are tougher, but take significantly more prep.

There is a significant learning curve to bake-on finishes. Start out easy and get familiar with the basics first.

Various reasons. Creates a GAWD-awful stink in your kitchen that may take days to disperse. Anything cooked in your oven for a long time may have the tang of burnt polymer - and may produce an episode of "Montezuma's Revenge" to boot.

Find another way. I found a portable oven at the Goodwill that I use for baking finishes onto parts. Outside.

Btw, I've found Brownell's aerosol can Gun-Kote is as good a general-purpose finish as you'll find. You can bake on multiple coats - on at a time - in high-wear areas too. Other finishes are tougher, but take significantly more prep.

There is a significant learning curve to bake-on finishes. Start out easy and get familiar with the basics first.
Way ahead of you, MrNatural. I went on Craigslist and got a $20 toaster oven just for the job.

Dont assume that everyone does not have the equipment to do the job properly. Lots of us have 40+ years worth of tool and equipment collected. The cerakote chemicals are about $45. Its a very simple process and that $45 will do several handguns.

It's simple if you have a blasting cabinet, proper blast media, correct degreaser, airbrush/compressor and a oven. You also need a vacuum and large compressor for the blasting cabinet. Some practice and you will be ready to rock.

I bought a propane smoker oven quite a few years agon from Walmart. Its tall enough to hang a completer receivered barrel. Works much better than stankin' out the house.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top