Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Bad @ss of the day

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by RicInOR, Nov 24, 2015.

1. RicInOR

RicInOR Washington County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owen_J._Baggett

Baggett's plane was badly hit, and the crew were ordered to bail out. The Japanese pilots then attacked U.S. airmen as they parachuted to earth. Two of Baggett's crew members were killed, and Baggett, though wounded, played dead, hoping the Japanese would ignore him. One Zero approaching within several feet of Baggett, then nose-up and in an almost-stall, the pilot opened his canopy. Baggett shot at the pilot with his .45 calibre pistol. The plane stalled and plunged to the earth.[7][8][9] becoming legendary as the only person to down a Japanese airplane with a M1911 pistol.[1][4][10][11][12]

2. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

Man, thats some serious clear thinking and balls of steel stuff right there.

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  3. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Man, that dude has his very own son of Nippon waiting his table in Valhalla!:D

4. mrblond

mrblond Salem OR Well-Known Member

that is really bad bubblegum. that was one very brave flyer.. and one dumb bubblegum Japanese pilot

On the same topic, I was flipping though netflix and came on a movie of a man I had heard of but really never read up on.. He is another total bad bubblegum.. Admiral Yi

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yi_Sun-sin

5. mkwerx

mkwerx Forest Grove, OR Well-Known Member

Clank Clank - that's the sound that dude made when he walked. Cheers to the colonel.

6. Jamie6.5

Jamie6.5 Western OR Well-Known Member

It's not every day you get to hear the story of someone Chuck Norris went to for advice.
    :D

7. Sstrand

Sstrand La Grande OR Well-Known Member

RicinOR
    You refer to them as Japanese pilots . . . They were, and will always be JAP pilots!?!?!?

Sheldon

Caveman Jim likes this.
  8. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

That was a long time ago - you should learn to let it go and move on like the rest of the world...

mjbskwim likes this.
  9. Sstrand

Sstrand La Grande OR Well-Known Member

Joe
    You forgive and move on . . . My uncle's brother was on the Bataan death march and came home blind from a JAP prison camp . . . The rest of the world be damned . . . I know some decent Japanese but that doesn't alter my opinion of those times.

Sheldon

10. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

That's fair. And nice to know you are not just totally anti-Japanese.

Sorry for the loss of your Uncle:(.

11. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

That just up's the anti on the 45 vs 9mm debate.

Caveman Jim, Koda and Dyjital like this.
  12. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Oh noo_O

13. edslhead

edslhead Vanc Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

A lot of people still remember what happened in WWII. Its to them as fresh as the events of 911. You really cant expect them to "Never forget 911" but bury all tragedies of the past. Maybe if you were older ( like me:p) you might understand.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  14. Provincial

Provincial Near Salem, OR Well-Known Member

"The Storch was also the last German aircraft shot down in air combat on the Western Front, on the morning of V-E Day. Lieutenants Duane Francies and William Martin, flying a Piper L-4 Cub for the 5th US Army Division, spotted a Storch circling below them. They immediately dove on the airplane and opened fire with their Colt .45s, with the result that the Storch made a emergency landing with its engine hit. The Americans landed their Cub and - following a short gun battle - captured the two Germans. Observer Martin won the Air Medal for his role, but pilot Duane Francies had to wait 22 years until the story was told in Cornelius Ryan's book, "The Last Battle," before he was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross. While it was the last Luftwaffe plane lost on the western front, this Storch was also the only German plane shot down by pistol fire during the Second World War." http://www.modelingmadness.com/reviews/ ... /61100.htm

I have seen this reported elsewhere, but this came up early in an internet search.

This means that the M1911 had multiple aerial victiories in WWII! :cool:

RicInOR and Caveman Jim like this.
  15. Koda

Koda Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

one of the most heroic battles of WWII was the secret mission to rescue 513 POW survivors from the Battan Death march. If I recall the story correct these were some of the last American survivors of the death march and forgotten except for a volunteer mission to a jungle outpost called Cabanatuan to free the POWs. I read about it in a book called Ghost Soldiers, well written documentary of the rescue and gun battle that grips you from beginning to end.

Sorry for the thread drift, but after reading the book I can see why anyone who was around then would never forget.... The book left out no detail of the atrocities.

the airman who shot down the zero with a 1911, now that’s truly bada$$.

Salute to our servicemen.

clearconscience likes this.
  16. Medic!

Medic! What just happened? Has eagle eyes. But cant remember what he saw. Bronze Supporter

Your Uncles Brother?

Wouldn't that be your Other Uncle? :s0140:

But I think I know what you heard about that war.
    Both My Grandfathers fought in the Pacific theater in WWII.
    Those men died hating ''Jap Bastards''!

Hey. They saw what they saw. And went through what they went through. :s0075:

17. ridurall

ridurall Blair, Oklahoma Active Member

My father fought the Germans with the 78th Lightning Division during WWII. He was at the Bridge at Remagen, Battle of the Hurtgen Forest, Battle of the Bulge and was with in 5 miles of Malmedy when the SS murdered 100+ Americans. When they found out they vowed never to surrender after that. He never was able to hanker up to them after helping liberate one of the Concentration camps towards the end of the war. It haunted him for the rest of his life until he passed away May 3rd 2013. He also lost friends in the south pacific and never wanted to visit Japan. Dad dealt with his own battles with PTSD and was an inspiration to me. If I'm only ever 1/2 the man my father was I'll be happy. He and Mom were married 71 years before he passed and not a day goes by that I don't miss him.

tac, 41Slinger and U201491 like this.