JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So the wife and I packed up everything to go to the range this morning. The AK had not been shot in a very long time so we figured today was the day to shoot it. It is a Romanian model and has always performed flawlessly. My first indication of a problem was that the mag did not insert as expected. OK I thought, its been awhile, so I fiddled with it and got it to seat properly. Five shots into a 30 rounder the sixth round jammed. WTH?!? Now this was totally out of character with this rifle. Racked the slide and the round chambered as usual. I went to put my finger on the trigger and OMG! where in the blue blazes did the trigger go??? I could hear it rattling inside but could not see it. What the @#&*&$%@#@@&&!!!??? Removed the mag and racked the slide. Did a quick field strip and discovered that I had a Houston sized problem when the trigger group fell out the bottom of the rifle and into my hand. Stood there scratching my head trying to figure out what the hey. Wifey and I packed up and drove home and I retreated into my fun room. Fairly quickly discovered that the trigger axis pin had gone AWOL which really messed up the day's planned shooting. When the bubblegum did it fall out? Its been sitting the safe over 5 years for crying out loud. In retrospect I am amazed that it shot 5 rounds before self disassembly. Went on MidwayUSA and ordered another axis pin. In reading the comments on their website I discovered this seems to be a fairly common problem with this AK. One guy recounted a story of hiking way out into the desert somewhere only to encounter what I just did. We only had to walk back to the truck 30' away and not trek across a desert without H2O and a busted AK. Wife and I did talk on the way home about "one is none and two is one" vowing now to always bring an alternate firearm to the range. Dang it the pistol range was completely empty this morning unlike the rifle range. :confused:

Wife and I did talk on the way home about "one is none and two is one" vowing now to always bring an alternate firearm to the range. Dang it the pistol range was completely empty this morning unlike the rifle range. :confused:

I don't know anybody that goes to the range, outside of a match, for plinking with less than half a dozen firearms!!! ;):p:D

So was it the Shepard's crook wire that jumped the trigger pins and allowed them to walk out? Ive replaced a few of those with retaining wires with the retaining plates, they work very well.

Yes the Shepherd's crook seems to be the culprit. Have also ordered a retaining plate with my Midway order now ;) This WASR has the Tapco trigger. Still trying to figure out when I lost the trigger pin. Not a break exactly Reno. I am calling it a negligent pin loss! Won't make that mistake again .... I hope LOL!

uuummm, no. I just love $10 shipping on a $4 sale dont'cha know :s0114:
I truly wish Amazon still sold gun parts. I hate buying stuff online from these retailers and having to pay more in shipping than the cost of the item.

I recently needed a screw for an AK shotgun. Midway wanted $.40 for what I needed and $6 to ship it.

Measured it and ordered 40 on Amazon for $2 shipped. Lol.

In emergency you can get it lined up and put a nail in it and bend it over . IF The nail is to thick grinding it on a rock till it passes through the holes.

In emergency you can get it lined up and put a nail in it and bend it over . IF The nail is to thick grinding it on a rock till it passes through the holes.
If I recall correctly, it was designed with this in mind for field repairs.

Weird things happen. I had a factory-built AR that I had just bought runaway on the first trigger pull. 10 rounds went downrange and everyone stopped to look. Next trigger pull sent the rest of the magazine downrange. Packed up and left. "Out of spec" trigger group was the diagnosis. Sear wasn't catching.

I truly wish Amazon still sold gun parts. I hate buying stuff online from these retailers and having to pay more in shipping than the cost of the item.

I recently needed a screw for an AK shotgun. Midway wanted $.40 for what I needed and $6 to ship it.

Measured it and ordered 40 on Amazon for $2 shipped. Lol.

Ive noticed ebay has no more ak parts. The loophole was listing as 7.62x39 for some time .Now only sks and a few mini 30 pop up. I picked up alot of spare parts on there . They must have closed the (assult rifle loophole )

Weird things happen. I had a factory-built AR that I had just bought runaway on the first trigger pull. 10 rounds went downrange and everyone stopped to look. Next trigger pull sent the rest of the magazine downrange. Packed up and left. "Out of spec" trigger group was the diagnosis. Sear wasn't catching.
First AR I built I was soooooo damn sure this would happen to me :s0140:
I loaded only a few rounds in the first few mags till I was sure. I could picture it going all fun switch and the girl out front running back there to glare at at me
I do always take a few guns at least when I go. I have a few times had something either wrong or forgotten with main gun I wanted to shoot. So with several with me it's not a wasted trip.

Yes the Shepherd's crook seems to be the culprit. Have also ordered a retaining plate with my Midway order now ;) This WASR has the Tapco trigger. Still trying to figure out when I lost the trigger pin. Not a break exactly Reno. I am calling it a negligent pin loss! Won't make that mistake again .... I hope LOL!
I always bring a couple of the Harbor Freight floor magnets to pick up my AK steel cases. I guess I'll use them to find various AK parts now. :p

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top