JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nothing too terrible in my mind but some of you may say I did some butchery. Like the two cva single shots I modded. One was a 45-70 that I had the breech threaded and made into a muzzleloader. The other started life as a single shot 6.5 creedmoor pistol with a 14" barrel. I bubba'd a rifle stock on it after pinning and welding a long flash hider on it to make it over 16". They both work fantastic.

3B605332-B5AC-4CA6-AA53-9B32CF25C0F7.jpeg 3A2B3875-8F13-4FA5-A61B-8000AA62AEEE.jpeg

Nothing too terrible in my mind but some of you may say I did some butchery. Like the two cva single shots I modded. One was a 45-70 that I had the breech threaded and made into a muzzleloader. The other started life as a single shot 6.5 creedmoor pistol with a 14" barrel. I bubba'd a rifle stock on it after pinning and welding a long flash hider on it to make it over 16". They both work fantastic.

View attachment 1112024View attachment 1112023
I was thinking about trying to convert my Traditions Pursuit muzzle loader to fire centerfire rounds. Any ideas?

Nope, never screwed up a gun with some outlandish mod. A few little slip ups here and there that I was able to correct, but nothing hair raising. A couple years ago, I saw what would have otherwise been a pretty decent old 1911, but for the "grip work" someone had done. They had decided to texture the front grip strap with a chisel. It looked like a puffed up horned toad. I could picture someone shooting it and shredding their fingers.

There were a couple times in my life when I didn't look at a "gunsmith" hard enough before bringing in a gun for mod / repair. Their incompetence far outshone mine.

Last Edited:
I bent the frame on a High Standard H-A model once pressing the barrel back in after threading it for a silencer. They made less than a thousand of them

I got a helluva deal on a vintage S&W Highway Patrolman .357 a while back.

Someone had seen fit to paint it with Cerakote or something. Whatever it was, I couldn't find anything that would remove it. I finally crushed and sharpened some pieces of scrap brass and spent an afternoon carefully scraping it off and out of every little nook and cranny. Amazingly, underneath the paint was beautiful 95% S&W bluing. :)

^^^^^^

Bruce

Wasn't there a pic last year of some Portland homeless crazy person carrying something like that along with "blood oil" or something like that. I can't recall the name but it was unusual like some blood
fishing bait oil or something. Really weird.
Oops I guess it wasn't a gun. Wonder if these weapons of war are banned yet...
CC0400CC-2916-4B8D-B420-93A785B386E3.jpeg

I'd be curious to hear about some home gunsmithing gone bad stories that @Velzey has seen over the years come through his shop. I'd bet he's seen one or two that would make us scratch our heads. Myself, I tried the $1 AR trigger job with a dremmel years ago, got a great reduced pull but also had some doubles, I use drop in triggers now.

Last Edited:
I'd be curious to hear about some home gunsmithing gone bad stories that @Velzey has seen over the years come through his shop. I'd bet he's seen one or two that would make us scratch our heads. Myself, I tried the $1 AR trigger job with a dremmel years ago, got a great reduced pull but also had some doubles, I use drop in triggers now.
I could post up photos and members could guess what member did it 😂😂 I have a large collection of photos..

I could post up photos and members could guess what member did it 😂😂 I have a large collection of photos..
Oh boy, I figured you'd have a couple good ones! After working for Les Schwab for close to 17 years and seeing what people who try to fix stuff on their own, I can only imagine the things you've seen.

Oh boy, I figured you'd have a couple good ones! After working for Les Schwab for close to 17 years and seeing what people who try to fix stuff on their own, I can only imagine the things you've seen.
Did they sew your pockets sut so you couldn't stand around with your hands in your pockets? Was that in the buzz cut era? Funny company.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top