JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
These are all good idea. Any more. I just purchased several wireless motion activated sensors either on Amazon and or Harbor and that will be a big help. I'd think that at a minimum, based on the advise above, I'd take the Glock 17 and a 20 gauge shotgun with 000 buck shot. More ideas? Thanks a bunch!!!!

I'm implying he didn't die even though his jeep burned up in the middle of nowhere.
Is that good enough for you?
I wasn't sure exactly what you meant, that's why I asked. It's just that there were more than a few people that made comments implying that he burned his jeep on purpose and other derogatory comments. I meant no offense.

These are all good idea. Any more. I just purchased several wireless motion activated sensors either on Amazon and or Harbor and that will be a big help. I'd think that at a minimum, based on the advise above, I'd take the Glock 17 and a 20 gauge shotgun with 000 buck shot. More ideas? Thanks a bunch!!!!
with those motion sensors out camping it might be more probable of a false alarm from some night critter passing by. Few years ago I had a cheap motion sensor for my home that always had a false alarm, the first few false alarms were nerve racking, maybe test it a week or so first. The idea is actually a good one though.

I think you'll be fine... Ive been camping remotely all over Oregon for years and never had an issue. Im not saying to let your guard down or anything, just if your healthy enough to consider camping alone then go for it the odds of anything bad happening are too low.

with those motion sensors out camping it might be more probable of a false alarm from some night critter passing by. Few years ago I had a cheap motion sensor for my home that always had a false alarm, the first few false alarms were nerve racking, maybe test it a week or so first. The idea is actually a good one though.

I think you'll be fine... Ive been camping remotely all over Oregon for years and never had an issue. Im not saying to let your guard down or anything, just if your healthy enough to consider camping alone then go for it the odds of anything bad happening are too low.

Yah, wouldn't want to startle a skunk. That's for sure! Had one scrounging around one night while in a bivy. Just curled back up into the bag and let him/her keep on scrounging...

OP has a dog. If its a good one to alert him & not get into trouble, that's plenty.

In my opinion.

As many have already noted....
Let someone know where you are going...and when you are planning on coming back.

While it is always good to be aware of your surroundings...
If you feel the need to outfit yourself , with alarms , trip wires , flares and a platoon of pissed off Rangers...
Maybe you outta re-think on where you are going.
Scouting and camping are supposed to be fun , not a casting call or rehearsal for"Deliverance Part 2".

I cannot speak for the area in the OP , 'cause I have never been there...
But where I hunt and camp....its pretty safe and tame.

I say pretty safe and tame...'cause it is nature and nature won't play by your rules or wants.
Plus people are unpredictable...so....
While I do keep an eye out on where I am at and who is around ( two or four legged) ...
I also don't over think , over worry or over carry a GI surplus store while scouting or camping.

Others of course will differ on the above.
Andy

A few buddies and I do this annual camping trip. Usually on or around mt hood. Almost always odd a logging road by a lake or creek we find on a map. Sometimes to try and find a ghost town (fun stories there).

As mentioned a bunch, I sent coordinates and screenshots of Google maps of where I think I'll be and where I think I'd go if I got in trouble (downhill). We always set a check in time and I'm very mindful of it. If a call doesn't come by that time, send help, no waiting.

We've had to leave guys behind still trekking out gear so one of us could make into cell range before the calvary was sent!

Another great trip for a multi day trip is try to spend a weekend using just those supplies. You don't have to be completely devoid of comfort, but only eat the food you'd bring, sleep in your tent and bag, etc. You'll find you're heavy in some areas and light in others.

Bring some sweets! I can tell you there have been 2 occasions where a few of us miscalculated how far we were going or what to bring.... When we're on the final hour or 2 push, busting out a pack of fruit snacks or gummies has been a huge savior, not so much for the calories, but the morale boost is tangible!

Don't bring more than 1 pup and only if you trust it to obey when faced with a challenge from a squirrel.

One of the times we had to split up and have one group call the wives was because after getting fully packed and a 2 hour hike out, someone's dog went full speed after a nutrea or something... We searched around the area for over an hour and finally someone had to go make the call home. The pup ended up heading ALL the way back to the camp site and a few of us didn't get home for an extra 5 hours!

Good luck, take pics and share!

I think some people over think things!
I camp and hunt solo a lot. I go out to enjoy nature, and a good bit of the time I take my dogs. The Op's pup won't learn to camp unless he does it! And his scouting won't get done without him either!
To the OP, Go Camping, take your dogs! Enjoy your time out there! Take the gun that makes the most sense. If you need both hands to keep your dogs , a long gun will just be in the way. But if they take verbal commands pretty well, that may not be a problem.
I'm in my 60's and I don't walk as far from my camp or truck anymore, But I still enjoy my time out there. Good Luck DR

I think some people over think things!
I camp and hunt solo a lot. I go out to enjoy nature, and a good bit of the time I take my dogs. The Op's pup won't learn to camp unless he does it! And his scouting won't get done without him either!
To the OP, Go Camping, take your dogs! Enjoy your time out there! Take the gun that makes the most sense. If you need both hands to keep your dogs , a long gun will just be in the way. But if they take verbal commands pretty well, that may not be a problem.
I'm in my 60's and I don't walk as far from my camp or truck anymore, But I still enjoy my time out there. Good Luck DR
Agreed. The most fun I have outdoors is when I don't overthink it. Have a plan, and redundant back ups, let people know where you are going, and have fun. Its kind of like riding a motorcycle, the danger reminds you that your still alive :) I always feel more aware of my environment when hiking solo.

Only tips I would offer are: open carry for quick draw purposes, and use 2 hiking poles if you don't already. I've avoided many falls alone in the woods with them, and they take some of the weight off your feet. Lastly, there are some great hunting/hiking apps that work offline. You can download maps ahead of time, and use them, with GPS, even when you dont have a signal. "Basemap" is a good one that comes to mind. I do alot of "digital" scouting on my phone ahead of time, drop pins, etc. That just helps navigation be that much easier once you get there.

I say this not lightly, especially after the year that I've had. You're 70+ years old. Go for it. Go live your life. Living in fear isn't living. If something happens, you've had a good long life. If nothing happens, you'll live an even longer good life. In the end, how long you've lived or how you check out really makes no difference. It's how you lived that matters.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top