JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'd go scout, but with some modifications to your game plan.

You only have two arms and two eyes and if predator country means both two and four legged varieties, then you need to be on your guard; the puppy stays home.

The dog can come if and only if he isn't a liability. He needs to not bark at anything, not chase anything, and have the dedication to follow your command even if that command means retreating from a predator. Dogs can be great - mine seems to notice all manor of wildlife 35-40 yards or more away and is a great early alarm system...you need to weigh how much of a boon or liability your dog is.

You're not going into battle. I'd take a carbine and a revolver. For me, that means both in .357mag but choose whatever makes you comfy for the remote possibility of dealing with a predator.

When I'm solo - I take a low profile. No tent, no fire. Just bivvy it close enough to the vehicle to hear someone messing with it but far enough to not be spotted from the road. And I carry a PLB these days. Makes my wife feel better and will help out in a real life threatening bind. Assume your stuff could be broken into so only bring what you can pack - leave nothing in or around the vehicle.

Further you get from Portland, or the valley, the safer you generally are. No sense in braggin where you' re from, a lot of locals kind of resent the valley voters laws and attitudes until they know you. The "Natives" are some of the finest people you'd ever want to meet, hunting partners you can literally trust your life with. Tell someone where you'll be (approximately) and to check in with at least once a day, by phone or txt ect. even a young person can twist an ankle or break a leg. Too many wolves, not to bother you, just fewer deer and elk to see. Good luck, have fun, not many more beautiful places to see, maybe the Wallowa"s? no, not really.
As bbbass mentioned snow often blocks higher elevation roads until late May early June.

I like to adventure and am OK by myself. My mantra is stay ever Alert, Alive and Aware. Bring two spares because you have to drive back thru whatever gave you the first flat. You don't have to stand and fight, you can just get in your truck and go somewhere safe, preferably before things go south. Be sure to check you and the dog(s) for Ticks.

No pup. Pups have short attention spans and lack discipline. They need training sessions a few minutes long a few times a day. not a situation where they need to do the right thing 24/7. A pup needs a much more controlled environment to run loose. And having a leashed dog isn't much fun. Nor is a dog that goes after a deer and ends up lost and in the next county. Or who barks at everything. Or who attacks porkies, and has to be taken to the vet and completely anethesized so two vets working hard for two hours can remove the more than two hundred quills deeply embedded in his mouth, body, and feet. No adult dogs unless well trained and unlikely to attract or get et by predators.

If you actually need 4 guns where you're thinking of going, don't.

I would never go camping in a spot with "white trash". You'll need to be able to sleep. Even in day, bad guys can shoot you from a distance for your supplies before you even see them.

Last Edited:
Dang! I am half the OPs age and reading all these comments is starting scare me into false flashbacks! :(

The two legged threats really do suck! They just ruin it for us good folks.

And as far as being prepared - My jeep has so much gear in it, in anticipation of flats, breakdowns, survival gear, wench, etc. that I am willing to bet a dollar that the next problem encountered in the bush will be unanticipated. Where did my joy go?

I wouldn't mind having a wench along but that might be distracting.

Absolutely if you take 1,000 emergency things, you will need that 1,001st item.

You don't have to stand and fight, you can just get in your truck and go somewhere safe, preferably before things go south.

This is highly, highly preferable. And you wouldn't need any firearms for this. The problem is, we aren't always able to figure out exactly what's going on with people who have bad intentions. They have the advantage. They know what they are up to, we don't necessarily know until they are right on us.

Somebody else on pg. one already said it, stay alert. Another somebody already said, don't leave a lot of gear unloaded and around that you can't pack up in a hurry. Stay mobile.

Previously I mentioned that people have gotten jumped by bad guys just for the loot that their guns represented. I've thought before that maybe there have been occasions when bad guys were actually attracted to a victim by the sound of gunfire, knowing that where there is such, there are guns. You just have to stay alert.

I hope I haven't painted too dire of a picture about this activity. Most of the time, nothing will happen. You just have to be ready to deal with it if it does. Because not everyone is a good guy.

I am still relatively young and fit, but I never go into the woods alone or unarmed. I don't have a whole lot to add to the great advice already posted. I usually bring backup comms (satphone, GMRS, etc.) and let family know my itinerary / schedule. Dogs can be an asset or a liability, depending on what you are doing. If you are looking to do some shooting, I recommend a group of 3-4 with the understanding that one of you is acting as a lookout/safety at any given time. I don't mean standing guard per se, but just keeping an eye out.

If any of this sounds excessive or paranoid, well ... maybe it is. I blame the US government, and too many years in dodgy places. I am just a support guy, not an operator or anything bad-bubblegum like that. But a lifetime of vigilance will usually morph into full-time paranoia. Look at me!

To expand a bit on my previous thoughts. I wouldn't go too over-board on firearms. I wear a sidearm open carry, generally a six shooter in .357 or 41 Mag. If I wanted to go bird hunting/ bunny blasting I'd bring a shotgun. I might bring my scoped bolt action .223 for a varmint hunting or just in case I need a stand off weapon. I'd keep the rifle and shotgun in the truck under a blanket, out of sight. I wouldn't do any target shooting for two reasons, the noise attracts people and when target shooting I'm paying attention to the task at hand and with hearing protection I am somewhat insulated from the world around me. Lastly, trust your spidiey senses, if something feels wonky it probably is. But until then relax and enjoy. Take lots of pictures.

I do most of my scouting alone as it can be difficult finding others as interested to make the time. More than half of my hunting is also alone. I enjoy taking my dog, when it works for the trip. There's nothing wrong with safety considerations, but don't let them prevent you from getting out there.

I used to go alone and sometimes still do, well armed but with alarms for night. These days I strongly prefer to go with another armed friend. I've had encounters in the mountains that were armed confrontations, they pulled a gun on me, etc.

If I go toy usual area I absolutely take a friend because I see convoys of 3 and sometimes up to 11 vehicles as a group each with 2+ people and I see them drinking and shooting So I know they are armed.

This day and age, go with someone...

I used to go alone and sometimes still do, well armed but with alarms for night. These days I strongly prefer to go with another armed friend. I've had encounters in the mountains that were armed confrontations, they pulled a gun on me, etc.

If I go toy usual area I absolutely take a friend because I see convoys of 3 and sometimes up to 11 vehicles as a group each with 2+ people and I see them drinking and shooting So I know they are armed.

This day and age, go with someone...
What do you do for alarms at night?

I'm sure at least a few people here have heard of a guy on YouTube named Casey (Spelling?). His channel is called Coyote Works. He is an avid backcountry explorer and camper, mostly all in eastern Oregon. He often goes by himself for days at a time. I would consider dropping him a line, I'd bet he knows the best areas to visit as well as the ones to avoid.

When his Jeep burned up in the middle of nowhere he just called AAA and was home in time to watch Wheel of Fortune.

lol, don't know about the last part

Being the same age I can assure you that if you get hurt getting back up is a lot more painful than it used to be. Two dogs will cause trouble but one might be good for licking your face when you're on the ground and an alarm at night. Unless there is something to hunt leave the weapons and just take the Glock and a couple mags. You are by yourself and not going to run off the Mongel hoards. Use it to get away.

Oh man. I can relate to the tweakers staring when driving by. I have that happen too when I'm out alone. I'm only 35 but am always aware too, if I'm at a spot and hear a car come, I stop what I'm doing and pull the charging handle on my AK and move closer to the engine of my vehicle just to be safe.

Sometimes I just pretend to get something out of the car and just observe whats happening while ready to rock and roll if I have to :/

Often times the pure display of a rifle like that makes nobody sketchy looking even stop. Not to toot my horn but I am an exellent marksman and confident I can handle more than one bad guy. If they shoot anything accurate than what I often see then I'm not concerned if they are more than 10 feet away lol. Its a shame but you gotta be prepared for this stuff.

Bringing a puppy? I would not do that. Just because of wild animals alone. If you have an emergency beacon or a spotx, the only real concern I would have is Animals at night and the car breaking down. That could make for a miserable time. However, stay low, dont be a target of opportunity.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top