JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Figured I would start a thread for those that are unhappy with there purchase, like me.

The manufacturer I'd like to put on blast is Stag Arms since I couldnt find anywhere to post a review.
I put a order in for there 6H upper with aluminum handguard and pitched in a lil extra for the nickel teflon bolt and carrier. This was back on Aug. 9th almost 4 months ago.
Ok heres my complaint,
I recived the upper in terrible condition, the barrel had 4 or 5 tooling gouges and there was a eraser sized bald spot on the handguard. I really was hesitant about sending it back cause it took 2 months for it to show up so I called to see what my options were, maybe a little refund or some parts since I was building my "dream gun". I got the send it back or refund line from customer service but was reassured I'd get it corrected fast. 3 weeks later it shows up in worst condition then I got it. It looked like they let the kid in the shop fix it with sand paper and heavy scotch bright. My 16 yr old daughter could have done a better job. The gouges were still visible and now had swirl marks and some new scratches. It wasnt that clean machined look i paid for, it was more like it was prepped for paint. So I got a manager on the phone and asked the same deal, parts or discount, I figured I could have it coated but nope we will send you a new one. So here I am 4 months later still waiting...

I cant even look at my other stag builds with the same quality mindset anymore after this.

ZOOM IN ON THESE PICS TO SEE WHAT I MEAN. I could have done a much better job but Im not a fan of sanding on my guns. 20161126_173217.jpg ZOOM IN ON THESE 20161126_172843.jpg 20161126_173141.jpg 20161126_172810.jpg I dont mind scratches if I put them there but im not going to pay full price for one all scratched especially if its been sanded on..

I purchased a Magmun Research 10/22 that had terrible barrel droop. The carbon fibre barrel to receiver fit was way loose. Sent it back and their idea of a repair was a to put a peice of tinfoil around the barrel to take up the slop. Still had barrel droop. Traded it in and won't make the same mistake twice. It was a 700$ .22 pos. My homebuilt 10\22 is much better.

I would send that garbage back and demand a refund.
Then do what you should have done and go with an Aero Precision!

I bought a 24" barrel from Stag and had a good experience. No issues.
But to anything from a big company that's anything but perfect should demand a refund. And as a reputable company they should stand by their product.

But to anything from a big company that's anything but perfect should demand a refund. And as a reputable company they should stand by their product.

I couldnt believe they would have let it get past QC in the sahpe it was in the first place and then there solution was to sand it? Kinda makes you wonder what kind of business there running. This upper i got is suppose to be one of the most accurate but it makes me second guess every good thing I've heard about them.

I think Stag is under new owners since the non serialized FA ARs last year. Not sure who's running (ruining) it now. Love my AR but that was from a few years back.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the owner had to step aside or go to jail.

I think Stag is under new owners since the non serialized FA ARs last year. Not sure who's running (ruining) it now. Love my AR but that was from a few years back.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the owner had to step aside or go to jail.

You are correct, the owner was told to go away or the gov would put him away. I too have a Stag that I've had for a few years that's been nothing but good. Hope the company's best days are not behind them.

Need to put that thing in a lathe and polish it up proper! Job done...

Seems they have forgot how to do it. Hows it shoot?
I might have been ok with a lathe scotch bright finish but that nice lathe cut is what im expecting. The scotch bright finish is hard to maintain, oils from dry hands stand out like a big dent in a ferrari and almost needs carb cleaner to remove fingerprints.

I havent even put it together yet I'm waiting for the replacement.
Im going to see if they will discount this one instead of sending it back (highly doubt it) then I can do a coating on the already prepped surface. Im not really a fan of reflecting parts on my guns.

If you get a refund White Oak sells some great barrels and the finish on my ss barrel was much better. I went w 18" no threads . Great shooter. Used to like the Stag trigger kits. I like my own scratches as well not the factory ones. Good luck.

Update...
Gave Stag a call today and pitched a fit they said my upper was on his desk ready to be shipped (ya right). I offered to buy this blem at a discount and he wouldnt budge on the price, he said one of the gunsmiths were going to clean it up and sell it at full price. I did however talk him out of an A2 buttstock $90 value so I'm going to just take it and not complain anymore after this post. Its been 4 months since I placed my order and cant wait to finally get what I paid for and was my hands of Stag.

The story I got when I asked how something like this could get past QC was since they changed owners they made some other changes like new QC management and have been having issues in that department.

So take it for what its worth I'm not saying dont buy from them, just like in all manufacturing theres going to be a flaw here and there (hence the need for a QC department). I most likely wont be doing anymore business with them after this.

I get most of my stuff like complete uppers from BCM or LaRue. Ya, probably twice as much but you get a superior product that will make you happy for life. And you normally get a free hat!

Stag arms got into trouble last year, they don't seem like the once respectable company they were:eek:

If the outside is that bad I would guess the inside is also
I would demand a refund
That's too bad as Stag did put out a great product.
Hope it shoots well for you.
After this experience I will test it rigorously, if anything is funny its going back with no hesitation. Ill keep posting my findings good or bad.

I was almost at the point of ordering that left hand 20" 5.56 HB rifle from Stag Arms. After hearing this and myself being very picky about build quality and accuracy, now I am not sosss sure. Thank you. Now I am thinking just getting all the parts and doing that last precision AR15 build ... MYSELF. The build will take me all day. I wonder now how much time Stag Arms spends on their production line? Respectfully.

hundreds of builds. uncounted rebuilds. also left handed. yikes! :)

Update...
Gave Stag a call today and pitched a fit they said my upper was on his desk ready to be shipped (ya right). I offered to buy this blem at a discount and he wouldnt budge on the price, he said one of the gunsmiths were going to clean it up and sell it at full price. I did however talk him out of an A2 buttstock $90 value so I'm going to just take it and not complain anymore after this post. Its been 4 months since I placed my order and cant wait to finally get what I paid for and was my hands of Stag.

The story I got when I asked how something like this could get past QC was since they changed owners they made some other changes like new QC management and have been having issues in that department.

So take it for what its worth I'm not saying dont buy from them, just like in all manufacturing theres going to be a flaw here and there (hence the need for a QC department). I most likely wont be doing anymore business with them after this.
Just as I suspected they were pulling my leg when they said "Its on my desk now, going to ship out today" no tracking update or product at my door so still waiting...

Well the moment of truth,
Im not happy, I got the upper back from stag arms today and its another sanded barrel... its just polished a lil better but still in my opinion looks like its ready for paint. The first one I got had the nice lathe finish and was perfect other than the gouges in about 4 places. It doesn't even look like they finished it on the lathe since the scratch swirls. I have 2 options, I could disassemble it and polish the swirls out or have it coated, well 3 options I guess I could leave it the way it is but thats not a option for me. Since I dont like shiny on my guns I guess I'll be spending the extra to have it coated. This one did come with the nicer rubber grip hogue handguard tho. 20161206_162531.jpg 20161206_162105.jpg notice theres nice lathe cuts they didnt sand off right before the step up. 20161206_162034.jpg ZOOM IN ON 20161206_162212.jpg the only reason I can think of to spend so much time sanding is because of bad tooling. 20161206_162324.jpg I really hope it shoots like its supposed to.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top