JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A guy here had a rifle FS a couple weeks ago. Seemed like a good deal so I posted it on another site and it was sold. I asked the guy who bought it what shape it was in and he told me it arrived and the barrel was rusted out. He contacted the seller looking for a partial refund and was told that the money was spent. I hope this has a happy ending, but it doesn't look good for the buyer. I'm not mentioning names yet. Ken

Kind of is what it is. Beyond leaving bad feedback, items like this are sold with an assumed "as is" (legally speaking). Meaning that the guy was sort of gambling when he bought it without looking it over. It's not fair but there isn't a lot of recourse.

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/rifle-classifieds/143130-winchester-model-70-a.html#post923218
The seller's name is Robert Glass. FWIW I bought a nice pre-64 a few months ago for $550. I realize this is all hearsay, but I feel real bad about it. I guess I should know better than to try and help a guy out. The man that bought it is a good guy and I do not question his honesty. Some people place little value on their honor. He did not tell the buyer that he was selling it for a friend. He said the money was spent to pay bills.

well, as you said, is somewhat hearsay, but giving out his name is ok in my mind. Sites like this depend on honesty, morals, and ethics. If a person deliberately does wrong in any of these human characteristics, they are as good as blacklisted in my book. IF the seller sees this and has a different side of the story or something, by all means, lets hear it and your chance to clear your name. Crap like that sucks. That's why I would never buy from someone on web forums sight unseen, FTF only is a pretty common and logical solution for the future. OP, don't sweat it, you tried to help someone else out but it ultimately was their decision on how the deal went down.

Unless you are the buyer or the seller you should stay out of the deal. Don't sell guns for someone that won't take on the work themselves. If the seller did not list obvious defects then they are just another d-head ash-hole whether they have bills or not.
Your reputation is at risk if the deal goes sour.

So the buyer bought it without looking into the bore. I have made that mistake before, wont make it again. But is can be rebarreled pretty easy, with a take off no doubt.
As for the seller, well to be honest some people just dont have a clue. It's just a rifle, and they needed money so he sold it.
The action is worth $300 and the stock $100. You may want to soak the bore with a good solvent and use a few stiff bore brushes and see how much of the rust will come out. I have seen quite a few clean up nicely.

If your friend finds a new barrel I would be more than happy to put the new one on a check the hs for him. Only takes about 15 min if its the same cal.

well, as you said, is somewhat hearsay, but giving out his name is ok in my mind. Sites like this depend on honesty, morals, and ethics. If a person deliberately does wrong in any of these human characteristics, they are as good as blacklisted in my book. IF the seller sees this and has a different side of the story or something, by all means, lets hear it and your chance to clear your name. Crap like that sucks. That's why I would never buy from someone on web forums sight unseen, FTF only is a pretty common and logical solution for the future. OP, don't sweat it, you tried to help someone else out but it ultimately was their decision on how the deal went down.

So true! I purchased a rare Beretta from the Beretta forums and they have no feedback system, eek! I got duders number called him and felt him out. I sent him a money order and all was 100%. If he decided to be shady it would have been my fault! But I had his address and name, and I visit his location once a year to see the in laws and casually that came up in our convo. I absolutely hate sight unseen deals and no feedback sites.....well I was willing to take a chance I guess. How bad do you want the item,vs risk....yeah.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top