JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not to hijack the thread, seemed an appropriate place to show this. 9mm range pick up. Not exactly sure how it happened

View attachment 734597
When I *finally* got the 9mm case out of my 40, that's exactly what it looked like. Exactly...

I have one just like it sitting on the bench. There was no issue other than the gun didn't cycle. Shell fell right out racking the slide, and the bullet key-holed the paper target about 7" high at 50' if I recall correctly.

I have one just like it sitting on the bench. There was no issue other than the gun didn't cycle. Shell fell right out racking the slide, and the bullet key-holed the paper target about 7" high at 50' if I recall correctly.

Took my oldest son and his buddy both 18 to the range. His buddy did exactly that with one of my Glocks. The .40 fired it, then FTE. Hand racking it cleared and out popped a 9mm case that looked the same. "Ah this is a .40SW not a 9mm..." Gun showned no sign of any issues. (It was a Glock of course it took the abuse)

Its dented inward, the light in the photo makes it look like its protruding. But its decently smashed inward. ITs a large area for an ejector, I was thinking like part of the slide opening.
Thanks, Helo!
Yes, it certainly looked to me like it was something scabbed onto the bottom of the case, rather than an indentation in it.
That's why I was having a hard time figuring out what it could be. Thanks for the explanation!

Mine wouldn't fall out. It wouldn't rack out. I had to get a squib rod and pound it out. Gun showed no sign of any issues (it was a SIG, so of course it took the abuse)... :)

In my younger and poorer days I loaded lots of used brass. Then I had a few issues with some hotter loads as pictured. Went to Starline brass and never went back.

1_split_brass_004.jpg

1-split-brass-003.jpg

Lets see who can correctly ID the make of this brass?

Bought a few thousand .45ACP mixed range brass out of Texas. Processing since last weekend as time allows. This poor dude had a bad day. Primer pierce/blow out and bulged the brass bad. Just going into the brass recycling bin, but yikes!

View attachment 732857
Kind of looks like a piece of scrap got in the way during striking. All the letters line up perfectly eliminating the possibility of double strike.

A very strange case, to say the least. The "raised" area is a partial extrusion of the brass into a rectangular recess - probably in the firing weapon/device. The primer is a poser. Hole is off-center and a blow-out would have a jagged edge. Also the primer is not flattened, as would be expected with excess pressure. Was it a proof load?

Bought some .25-06 Remington once-fired brass a few years back. A similar unusual case was in that lot as well. What it is, is a pressure test round fired in a test barrel mounted to a universal receiver, or a rifle with a port in the chamber which contained a copper crusher to measure the "CUP" (copper units of pressure) of that load.

IMG_3016.JPG IMG_3017.JPG

What causes this? It almost looks like a small brass plate overlay.
I have never seen anything like that... o_O
View attachment 734534
I noticed that too, I do believe that that is the mark the extractor made due to the excess pressure and was yanking the crap out of that case to get it out and gone.
Its dented inward, the light in the photo makes it look like its protruding. But its decently smashed inward. ITs a large area for an ejector, I was thinking like part of the slide opening.
Arm Chair : Extractor mark is at 10:00. That looks like the fixed ejector bump on some firearms. Recoil operated firearm, case pushes slide/BCG back, the inertia of the case hits the bump and ejects it out the port.
Left port eject on that one.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads