JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have an old beater car that wont die, I driving it till it drops.

but the cv joints are bad, have been for a long while now. Pretty loud actually when turning sharp, quiet when going straight.

the car isnt worth much used....

how long to bad cv joints last before they break and leave you stranded?

Been in the auto repair business for a long time and their is no real way to know when it will break. I can tell you when it beaks will be at the most inopportune time and will leave you stranded. Once one side breaks the car will not drive anymore. At the least go find a couple used ones at a wrecking yard and install them.

Not in the repair business, but I've done the work on my cars since 1968. I can tell you that if they are making noise and have been making noise they are ready to fail. When they fail is a function of wear, speed, use and abuse, and time. They will fail and leave you stranded, at best. Or, you seriously damage your vehicle or yourself in a wreck.

Either get them fixed or do it yourself, immediately. Once you identify a safety issue, you have to deal with it.

I can tell you when it beaks will be at the most inopportune time and will leave you stranded.
yup, I know this... I just dont want to spend the money on a beater car.

but the car just keeps running, I estimate I could get a few more years of commuting out of it so I guess I should get the joints fixed

was just curious how long others have gone with bad cv joints...

If there's nothing else really wrong with the car, definitely get it fixed or fix it yourself.

Spending a couple hundred bucks now and then on the cheap commuter is money ahead. You cannot get a different vehicle for less than the CV joints will cost you to fix.

Not in the repair business, but I've done the work on my cars since 1968. I can tell you that if they are making noise and have been making noise they are ready to fail. When they fail is a function of wear, speed, use and abuse, and time. They will fail and leave you stranded, at best. Or, you seriously damage your vehicle or yourself in a wreck.

Either get them fixed or do it yourself, immediately. Once you identify a safety issue, you have to deal with it.
Absolutely right on this one. Once you know about it, you have to take care of a safety issue. Failures most always happen at an inopportune time. How will you feel if one joint fails and jerks the car to one side and into some kids? Not a pretty picture and should weigh heavily on your mind when you're thinking of how much money you're saving with that old beater.

I didnt think about it like that.... the safety aspect is a good point, Ill stop looking for a reason to put it off and get these fixed right away.

I've been driving HD 3/4 ton diesel PUs for 20 years, the weight of the motor wears out the entire front end far faster than the average PU, the shocks went out at 15K, then a few years later I was turning a loop in a snow drift and my steering linkage just dropped out, no warning at all! I was lucky I was only making 1 MPH when it happened and was only a mile from home! Now my stub axels are wearing out!
There ain't no such thing as a free lunch!

If you can do the work yourself most cv axles are actually fairly cheap. I've replaced several in my beater work cars over the years and it's usually not that big of an ordeal if you have basic tools. My poor old Subaru is worth less than 200 but I still put new axles in it cause it refuses to die and it goes anywhere

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top