JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This is a good thread.

I was a Parole Officer for six and a half years. From my experience, the majority of sworn law enforcement officers are good. However, there are way too many bad ones, who continue to carry a badge and a gun because management and unions look the other way. Based on my experience, one of the worst aspects is the corruption at the managerial level.

This is a good thread.

I was a Parole Officer for six and a half years. From my experience, the majority of sworn law enforcement officers are good. However, there are way too many bad ones, who continue to carry a badge and a gun because management and unions look the other way. Based on my experience, one of the worst aspects is the corruption at the managerial level.

I disagree the problem is on the beat cops and the management. The so called good cops that allow this to happen are no better then the cops doing it. And the management is guilty for allowing it also.

A lot of the cops do speak out, and are quickly silenced. Believe me, nobody hates a crooked cop more than an honest one. I myself felt the heat when I reported on a dishonest officer. I first confronted him personally, and when he retaliated, i started making notes and documenting everything. I presented my evidence to a member of the county commissioners, and the "good ol' boy" system retaliated.

Of course, the "so called good cops that allow this" are wrong not to stand up to it, but a lot more do than people realize. The problem is that management silences them, with the support of the unions, who are just as corrupt.

I'm glad to be out of that line of work, even if I take home less money.

A lot of the cops do speak out, and are quickly silenced. Believe me, nobody hates a crooked cop more than an honest one. I myself felt the heat when I reported on a dishonest officer. I first confronted him personally, and when he retaliated, i started making notes and documenting everything. I presented my evidence to a member of the county commissioners, and the "good ol' boy" system retaliated.

Of course, the "so called good cops that allow this" are wrong not to stand up to it, but a lot more do than people realize. The problem is that management silences them, with the support of the unions, who are just as corrupt.

I'm glad to be out of that line of work, even if I take home less money.

I commend you one what you tried to do. More need to follow suit.
Most of us understand that thin blue line and many times crossing it can be dangerous
to a good cop as well....
I think one major thing that needs to be changed is EVERY Chief,
and administrative position connected to Law Enforcement needs to
be an ELECTED position, just as it is with County Sheriffs.
. It directly affects every citizen and should never
be an appointed position.

There has to be something that 100% makes them accountable to the citizens
and that is the ONLY sure way to do it.

Mixed feelings about that, Taku. That makes them into politicians, and we all know how honest they are.....

To be honest, i don't have an easy solution, other than people speaking out and holding those in government responsible. At the same time, people need to recognize when officers are doing good, or not at fault. When the City of Portland threw Officer Frashour under the bus, it was in response to leaders in Portland's African-American community, who wanted blood. Instead of recognizing that an unfortunate incident occurred (largely the fault of PPB's command staff), they wanted an officer punished, no matter what.

"There has to be something that 100% makes them accountable to the citizens"

Take away the internal investigations. When the police are accused of breaking the law or not doing their job within proper police procedure that may have resulted in them breaking the law then give an outside non-government/ non-LEO body the authority to do the investigating. If the police department does not cooperate with them then take legal action against them. That would be the real teeth that would hold the police accountable. After that there would need to be honorable D.As and honorable judges to enforce law in the "Justice System" and stop being so lenient on the officers that break the law. Hold them accountable.

A citizens review committee? I can tell you that no matter what good or ill any individual cop has done to me in the past (some have been very fair, indeed) I (and many others) would judge on the merits of the case, alone. Isn't that our jury system, presided over by judges?

I would be fair also without having any preconceived notions that just because a person is a LEO they are always to be thought of as the good guy or should be treated with higher regard then a regular non-LEO.

A citizens review committee? I can tell you that no matter what good or ill any individual cop has done to me in the past (some have been very fair, indeed) I (and many others) would judge on the merits of the case, alone. Isn't that our jury system, presided over by judges?

I would suggest many members here at NWFA that I think would do a great job on a committee like that. It will never happen though, the legal system doesn't want to be held accountable. Its just a dream. I don't think there are enough good men and women in our "legal system" to make it a true "Justice System" anymore.

Mixed feelings about that, Taku. That makes them into politicians, and we all know how honest they are.....

To be honest, i don't have an easy solution, other than people speaking out and holding those in government responsible. At the same time, people need to recognize when officers are doing good, or not at fault. When the City of Portland threw Officer Frashour under the bus, it was in response to leaders in Portland's African-American community, who wanted blood. Instead of recognizing that an unfortunate incident occurred (largely the fault of PPB's command staff), they wanted an officer punished, no matter what.

What they can't do is go hide in Wash DC like the congress and Senate.
They are up close and personal and must be local. People see them and what they do daily. It has worked well for the Sheriffs office and I think it would be a far better system than what we have now. All they are accountable for now is a few good ol boys most on the wrong side, and most are not worthy of their positions.

"There has to be something that 100% makes them accountable to the citizens"

Take away the internal investigations. When the police are accused of breaking the law or not doing their job within proper police procedure that may have resulted in them breaking the law then give an outside non-government/ non-LEO body the authority to do the investigating. If the police department does not cooperate with them then take legal action against them. That would be the real teeth that would hold the police accountable. After that there would need to be honorable D.As and honorable judges to enforce law in the "Justice System" and stop being so lenient on the officers that break the law. Hold them accountable.

But their have been ineffective so far. Just a placebo that the police coerce or buy off.

I would suggest many members here at NWFA that I think would do a great job on a committee like that. It will never happen though, the legal system doesn't want to be held accountable. Its just a dream. I don't think there are enough good men and women in our "legal system" to make it a true "Justice System" anymore.

It is only a dream until the new order, my brother

What they can't do is go hide in Wash DC like the congress and Senate.
They are up close and personal and must be local. People see them and what they do daily. It has worked well for the Sheriffs office and I think it would be a far better system than what we have now. All they are accountable for now is a few good ol boys most on the wrong side, and most are not worthy of their positions.

The dishonesty and lack of ethics I saw at Lane County and Multnomah County was staggering. To those who had been around and were used to it, it just seemed to be "business as usual".

The dishonesty and lack of ethics I saw at Lane County and Multnomah County was staggering. To those who had been around and were used to it, it just seemed to be "business as usual".

I can see that in those two counties. You have a point, but it is the liberals that congregate in those 2 counties that feeds it.

Ya figure that most LE folks lean to the conservative side of thing...not all, but most I've come in contact with.

Most are exposed to it from the start, as a young Officer...think that's the way to move up the ladder, get included in the dept. 'click' and the groups adds another member to the debacle.

There's ways to at least curb it some. One can't change everything, but in their area of the LE world...they can make a difference if they are willing to step outside of the box. Most won't, for fear of being pushed outside the 'click', being thought of a traitor of sorts.

Very disturbing things inside the LE world;

Lots of Admin., and those selling themselves out for it, little leadership.

Loss of defined missions. Lots of 'feel good' mission statements to make the community all warm and fuzzy, but little effort to define any of the contents.

More about quantity than quality of staff.

Lack of training that makes a difference in the team. Looks good on paper, but having training that is not relevant does nothing for the bigger picture.

A lot of instructors get to a point of being "there", whatever "there" is, but then tend to stay "there" and never excel in their given field.

Keeping or protecting folks that don't belong on the job. The job is not for most people, let's all all accept and get over that. But let's not stand in a circle, hold hands and do the ***-ba-ya thing hoping it will work itself out magically.

When at time we must do our job, it may not look good to the nuclear family on TV. We need to take care of good and bad people, and that is done in different ways.

As stated by another in the LE field...'Its time for a reformation in American Police work, and we all know it."

Problem is, most won't acknowledge it. Therein lies the problem...

Ya figure that most LE folks lean to the conservative side of thing...not all, but most I've come in contact with.

Most are exposed to it from the start, as a young Officer...think that's the way to move up the ladder, get included in the dept. 'click' and the groups adds another member to the debacle.

There's ways to at least curb it some. One can't change everything, but in their area of the LE world...they can make a difference if they are willing to step outside of the box. Most won't, for fear of being pushed outside the 'click', being thought of a traitor of sorts.

Very disturbing things inside the LE world;

Lots of Admin., and those selling themselves out for it, little leadership.

Loss of defined missions. Lots of 'feel good' mission statements to make the community all warm and fuzzy, but little effort to define any of the contents.

More about quantity than quality of staff.

Lack of training that makes a difference in the team. Looks good on paper, but having training that is not relevant does nothing for the bigger picture.

A lot of instructors get to a point of being "there", whatever "there" is, but then tend to stay "there" and never excel in their given field.

Keeping or protecting folks that don't belong on the job. The job is not for most people, let's all all accept and get over that. But let's not stand in a circle, hold hands and do the ***-ba-ya thing hoping it will work itself out magically.

When at time we must do our job, it may not look good to the nuclear family on TV. We need to take care of good and bad people, and that is done in different ways.

As stated by another in the LE field...'Its time for a reformation in American Police work, and we all know it."

Problem is, most won't acknowledge it. Therein lies the problem...

I think I already know the answer to this one, but why have the gangs not been cropped to the ground and totally disbanded.
In the beginning it would have been an easy task, but it grows and grows. Still they could be chopped off flush with the ground without that much trouble.

To me ongoing problems are being maintained to keep the people on edge so the budgets can get passed without too much resistance. No crime, no need for big budgets. I feel that is the crux of the issue. ???
Getting anyone to admit that is not easy.

Blitz
If he had tried at a traffic stop he could have succeeded! Who would question a copper doing his duty.
In fact, he would have had a SWAT team as backup.
And, he would have the support of his supervisors and the union.
Sheldon

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews