JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I got a Benchmade Elishewitz Stryker about 20 years ago and liked it so much i bought a second a few years later, was part of my edc. fast forward to two years ago and i went in to the benchmade store/factory in oregon city. I asked them if they could fix the clip on one of the knife's due to the screws falling out and how much it would cost. I was told it was free that it was part of the warranty and they would look for a new blade for me as well as mine had been whittled down a bit over the years. got my knife back a few days later and it looked new all but the blade that is, it seems they had run out of blades and even with a lifetime warranty if they run out you are stuck. One other note is that they were really nice the two times i was in there, very chatty and friendly. Now having said that I still feel pretty good about the knife that has lasted so long and have since bought me two new benchmade knives i'm testing out for my edc as well as a spyderco military that would have been a benchmade if benchmade made a blade with CPM S110 steel in a 4 inch folder.

I am throwing away my infidel and boycotting Benchmade!

J/k. I love their stuff, they have rebuilt my griptillian for me a couple of times while I waited at the factory in the OC.

I almost forgot about the Sportsmans Warehouse Exclusive Benchmade Auto Stryker with the urban camo paint that chipped off if you looked at it too hard. It looked and felt like Krylon paint. Horrible ergos, no grip, I'll say it again... I've never been impressed with a Benchmade.

I had problems with Kershaw knife warranty stuff and their knives not being tough enough to handle the abuse I do to them. So that's when I switched to Benchmade and I personally have never had a bad experience in there. I always go in i have never shipped anything.
This has been my experience. Also, my Kershaw Auto does not fire and lock every time. Maybe like 80% of the time. I don't abuse my benchmades, but I want an auto I can depend on in a pinch. While I can manually open a knife in a hurry, (and I think for assisted, I prefer Kershaw's speedsafe stuff) I want an auto I can count on these days. My benchmade is razor sharp, and ready for light duty / SD.

I am suprised as I have never heard anything but good about benchmade. Friend of mine showed me his mini-griptilian that was trashed. I told him to take it down there and it came back everything new but the blade (which was sharp and polished). They have always sharpened my 940-1 (which I EDC) cleaned it and sent it back in brand new condition.
I haven't owned a BM knife for more than 5 years, but I have always had good dealings with them.I hope they make it right for you Compa49.

I am suprised as I have never heard anything but good about benchmade. Friend of mine showed me his mini-griptilian that was trashed. I told him to take it down there and it came back everything new but the blade (which was sharp and polished). They have always sharpened my 940-1 (which I EDC) cleaned it and sent it back in brand new condition.
I haven't owned a BM knife for more than 5 years, but I have always had good dealings with them.I hope they make it right for you Compa49.

Like you I had always heard great things about their customer service. I know someone who works there and I actually spoke with him one of the times I called. Unfortunately their lack of communication has already left a sour taste in my mouth.

My experience with benchmade had been hit and miss. I bought my first benchmade about 6yrs ago (my first quality knife purchase). I was sold on the fact that it was American made and quality; to realize later on that the salesman sold me a Taiwan benchmade. Oh well; no harm no foul. It was tight and sharp from day one. Over the years I had broken countless clips (bad design that snags on everything) and they replaced it every time. That is until they didn't have anymore clips and I was s.o.l.; then my blade was too small to be sharpened anymore and they were out of those as well. :mad: They would be happy to sell me a new knife at full price but as for my old folder it's pretty well done for. So much for the lifetime warranty that sold me on this company. I now carry an American made gerber for my edc and the benchmade is a tool box knife. I would buy again but not as a first choice.

My experience with benchmade had been hit and miss. I bought my first benchmade about 6yrs ago (my first quality knife purchase). I was sold on the fact that it was American made and quality; to realize later on that the salesman sold me a Taiwan benchmade. Oh well; no harm no foul. It was tight and sharp from day one. Over the years I had broken countless clips (bad design that snags on everything) and they replaced it every time. That is until they didn't have anymore clips and I was s.o.l.; then my blade was too small to be sharpened anymore and they were out of those as well. :mad: They would be happy to sell me a new knife at full price but as for my old folder it's pretty well done for. So much for the lifetime warranty that sold me on this company. I now carry an American made gerber for my edc and the benchmade is a tool box knife. I would buy again but not as a first choice.

in 6 years, having a blade sharpened enough that it is to small already. You must really have used the crap outta that thing. Glad you found what you like.

I just sent 2 of my benchmades in yesterday for sharpening and to replace the lost clip on my old 910 Stryker, the 9100 I sent had been sharpened by me A LOT. I will post how it goes with them, I've never returned any of my Benchmades for sharpening or repair so it is all new to me.

I've never had a problem with them.
Own about 20 of their knives and regularly drop by their shop to have a knife or two cleaned or have a spring replaced and get everything sharpened.
My only complaint ever is they once sent a knife to an old address they had on file instead of the one I asked them to send to. Luckily my dad still lived there and it was easy for me to get, but that could have gotten ugly. Otherwise, always been 100% happy with them.
I'd say given the slightly abnormal/fishy request, let it go and give them another shot. They'll make you happy.
If you're too sad to give them another shot, there are a handful of other manufacturers who have been mentioned in this thread that make a(n almost as) quality knife and usually for cheaper.

I've been carrying the same Buck #110 for 30 years, and I am VERY hard on knives. Ten years ago I bought one for my son for his 14th birthday. He was in scouts and used it to split some firewood. Somehow he managed to bend the back spring and loosen the blade. I sent it off to Buck to be repaired. I included a letter saying that the damage was entirely the user's fault and telling them just to bill me for the repairs. What I got back was a like-new knife and a thank you note for allowing them to do the repairs. The charge for the work was $0.00. And to top it all off they sent me a 30% discount coupon for my next Buck purchase, with which I purchased a premium #119 with rosewood grips and brass trim.

I've been carrying the same Buck #110 for 30 years, and I am VERY hard on knives. Ten years ago I bought one for my son for his 14th birthday. He was in scouts and used it to split some firewood. Somehow he managed to bend the back spring and loosen the blade. I sent it off to Buck to be repaired. I included a letter saying that the damage was entirely the user's fault and telling them just to bill me for the repairs. What I got back was a like-new knife and a thank you note for allowing them to do the repairs. The charge for the work was $0.00. And to top it all off they sent me a 30% discount coupon for my next Buck purchase, with which I purchased a premium #119 with rosewood grips and brass trim.

I love a good knife story. And I love a good customer service story.
Way to go Buck!!!

Ok, so I already said I liked the Kershaw Boa. Well there's more to the story. I sharpened it with a heavy duty diamond sharpener and took off too much steel. It was an accident and I told them how it happened. Kershaw replaced my Boa for a brand new one. The entire knife not just the blade. Pretty shocking to say the least, my Boa had tons of wear from daily carry. Not too many knife makers will replace a $100+ knife. Most places offer to just repair the broken or damaged part not replace the whole knife.

Last Edited:
OK, so here is an update on my bad experience, it hasn't gotten any better. It has been more than a week and a half and I have yet to receive the screws they said they would send out to correct their error on my custom order. Glad I didn't send my knife to them to change the screws. Looks like I am going to have to waste more of my time calling them on Monday to see what the issue is this time.

If this wasn't a custom order at this point I would just return the knife and get my money back. This is ridiculous. I guess I could get lucky and get it Saturday but I won't hold my breath. I've received shipments from England quicker than this.

Benchmade has always been top notch in the service area with me... I deal with them in person. There has never been a time they haven't taken care of any issue(s) for me. I drop off a few knives at a time and each time I get them back they exceed my expectations.

I'm a customer for life with only a few companies:
USAA, Toyota and Benchmade...

I am still a happy benchmade customer. This week I bent my pocket clip on my 940. Took it in. Factory was closed (after 5:30) and the sales guy in the factory store had the tools, the know how, and the replacement parts (new clip, screws, locktight, everything). He said they did not want to make people wait to have them shipped back when it was an easy fix. (Even if they do they ship it for free, I have had them do full service on mine before). Had a great conversation with the guys as he worked, checked out their new store arrangement (new since I have been there last), and fondled some knew knives.

I to am a benchmade customer for life.

Benchmade has always been top notch in the service area with me... I deal with them in person. There has never been a time they haven't taken care of any issue(s) for me. I drop off a few knives at a time and each time I get them back they exceed my expectations.

I'm a customer for life with only a few companies:
USAA, Toyota and Benchmade...
We dumped USAA last year after many years with them. Their customer service has fallen off a cliff. They now apparently contract out nearly everything. Their tow service left my wife stranded by the side of the road for nearly 8 hours, and never did show up. Their mortgage services are contracted out and they are a nightmare. We ended up with a loan that was $12,000 short of what they initially approved. They put a hold on my son's deposited checks (never had that happen before) that made him overdrawn. When questioned why they said they didn't know because it is a computer generated algorithm that places the holds. We switched our insurance to Amica, and now we bank locally (Banner).

Here's a new offering from the Westeros knife Company...
catspaw-2.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top