JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have some old surplus 9mm with Arabic writing on it, I assume it is Egyptian. The last time I shot any was over 10 years and it didn't cycle my dad's p38 consistently then.
Anyway, I just popped the lid on the ammo can that I had stored it in, and I was immediately hit with a nostril-burning odor, akin to something in between chlorine or ammonia. From what I have read, this smell is common upon firing, but what about unfired ammunition?

strong indication that the powder has deteriorated badly, I would not shoot it,it may do something weird or erratic, . Your local pd or recycler may have be able to dispose of it for you,safely

I'll likely just break them down for their components, and just burn the powder in the backyard. The primer pockets are staked, but I'm sure I can figure a way to clean them up.

If they're boxer primed it'll be a cinch.. if you have an inertia bullet puller, you might find that the lacquer seal at the case mouth makes it difficult to pull them.. just seat them a bit deeper to break the seal.

If they're boxer primed it'll be a cinch.. if you have an inertia bullet puller, you might find that the lacquer seal at the case mouth makes it difficult to pull them.. just seat them a bit deeper to break the seal.
Yep, I am pretty sure I remember them being boxer primed, and they are only sealed around the primer.

Last Edited:
You don't even need to burn the powder, just mix it in with your mulch pile and it will add valuable nitrates to your soil.

And yes, sounds like your powder has deteriorated, I'm sure they probably didn't add much in the way of acid neutralizers when they made that stuff.

I was being short, assuming people that would do this knew how to reload.

I am not sure the advantage of resizing. They have not been fired so what is out of "spec"? I would use my mouth expander though so the bullet would seat easily.

That's not hieroglyphs, that's squiggle...

I've seen tons of ammo made on soviet tooling, most of the time "round" is more a suggestion or a general impression than a mathematical requirement. Might have to size them.

Yeah, it'll be corrosive all right, if it's giving off noxious gas.

That's NO2, nitrogen dioxide burning your nose, and its stench reminds me of rotting fish soaked in acid - at low concentrations. In higher amounts, it feels more like a baseball bat to the face. The stuff used to be a common oxidizer in biprop liquid rockets like the Russian Proton. Nasty as all get-out.

(NO2 and N2O4 are basically the same stuff, if pressure and low temp are used to turn the red-brown NO2• gas into the colorless liquid N2O4 dimer.)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top