JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Got my CHL a couple months ago, been carrying my SR9C with the 10-round magazine since then. I've read a little about backup guns, but I'm not exactly sure how to make that happen. I have a Beretta Bobcat in .22LR, and that's about the only gun that could qualify as a backup gun. What do you all carry as a backup? How do you carry it? I tried the Beretta in a cross-draw position, but couldn't make it comfortable. I'm also considering a Derringer as a backup gun, just because they're skinny and neato :winkkiss:.

Any thoughts?

Greg

"considering a Derringer as a backup gun"
an up close and personal belly gun to be sure.
a snub nose 38 or a 380 would b a good one. my persnal bug is keltec 3AT (380 acp) only because my wife willn't let me use her S&W model 12 airweight.

I do not carry a bug as I do not find the utility/benefit equation works out for me. My carry weapon is reliable (4" Springfield XD),and if 28 rds. of .45 ACP (full mag plus spare), aren't enough to hit the threat I don't deserve to live. :s0114:

... I'm also considering a Derringer as a backup gun, just because they're skinny and neato :winkkiss:.

Any thoughts?

Greg

You might be surprised. While a Derringer is indeed neato, they're actually not that skinny and also have a fair amount of weight to them. I've had a .22lr Derringer for a few weeks now and have put a fair amount of rounds through it, while it's fun, novel, and reliable, it's actually thicker at its widest point than my Kel-Tec P32, and weighs noticeably more too. What's more its VERY inaccurate, and relatively slow to fire, slow to reload, and you're stuck with a 2 round capacity. I wouldn't wanna be on the receiving end and even a .22lr derringer can kill, it's just not a very practical choice for a defensive firearm, even as a backup.

The Kel-Tec P32 on the other hand would be a decent choice. Extremely light, extremely thin, holds 8 rounds, and far better lends itself to faster, and more accurate (though not super accurate on the whole) shooting.

I do not carry a bug as I do not find the utility/benefit equation works out for me. My carry weapon is reliable (4" Springfield XD),and if 28 rds. of .45 ACP (full mag plus spare), aren't enough to hit the threat I don't deserve to live. :s0114:
Hah! that's kinda my thinking, too... Like you Modeler614 I carry an SR9C with the 10 rnd mag in it, with one in the chamber & safety on. So 11 rounds of Hornady PDX in the gun, plus the 17 rnd mag goes with me as an extra. So I kinda agree with MA Duce, of course YMMV.

There is of course the main reason for a BUG- you can't get to your main piece, or it gets (ack!) grabbed from you, or your main hand becomes disabled, etc... I've been thinking about a TCP or LCR to stuff in my opposite pocket for those reasons... every decision involves some trade-off, including whether or not to carry a BUG...

I think the P3AT is the perfect back up, or even summertime primary carry, if you trust .380acp. You can get an aftermarket clip that is easy to install, and it makes it possible to easily carry it even if you are wearing shorts with an elastic waist band. I can be placed anywhere easily, ankle, waist, pocket, etc. Light, thin, dependable, cheap, and actually very accurate with practice.

When I calculate the probability that I (not LEO or military) will be a victim of a crime where a gun is needed for protection (3.8%), and I multiply it by the probability that I will actually need to fire my weapon at the criminal (8%), and I multiply that by the probability that my XD or HK will fail when I need it (maybe 0.25%), that number is only about 5 times larger than the probability of being killed by a meteor, in which case I don't think my primary gun will help very much even if it didn't fail.

My only back-up is a relatively quick whit and a pair of reasonably fast feet.
Hah! That's a danged good combo, P'boyPenguin! I've got some wit (others might disagree :s0114:), but I walk at a pretty glacial pace with a cane... though I'd rather whack somebody in the tender bits with the cane than have to draw on 'em... and like Migo said:
When I calculate the probability that I (not LEO or military) will be a victim of a crime where a gun is needed for protection (3.8%), and I multiply it by the probability that I will actually need to fire my weapon at the criminal (8%), and I multiply that by the probability that my XD or HK will fail when I need it (maybe 0.25%), that number is only about 5 times larger than the probability of being killed by a meteor, in which case I don't think my primary gun will help very much even if it didn't fail.
... I sure don't have any beef with anybody who carries a BUG (some friends do), but I sorta think that if I ever have to draw on someone, they'd be so shocked that a smiley-aging-punky-dude-with-a-cane like me was armed, they might just poo themselves... definitely a tactical advantage in my favor :D

... but I sorta think that if I ever have to draw on someone, they'd be so shocked that a smiley-aging-punky-dude-with-a-cane like me was armed, they might just poo themselves... definitely a tactical advantage in my favor :D

Yep, that's part of the 8% number I mentioned, which by the way came from the document published by GunFacts.info. I too don't have issues with people who carry extra hardware. I just ran through those numbers for myself when I was trying to decide if I even needed to carry a second magazine, since when a gun is used, the number of shots fired is typically about 2 or 3 regardless of whether a revolver or semi-auto is used. So when you do have to fire to defend yourself, even a revolver can be a lifesaver and my pistol holds more than a revolver.

After I ran through the numbers, I decided I didn't even need to worry about extra magazines, for most daily situations. The exceptions are, of course, gun free zones and the woods or desert.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top