JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey folks. I am in the market for a Backpack for this years hunting. Now, the only hunt I have planned sofar we will be set up at a base camp and going out from there so that hunt will not need more then a simple day pack but in the future, there very well could be times where a two-three day pack will be needed.

What do y'all use and recommend.

Part of it depends on what you're doing.

I've got an Eberlestock Just One. I wanted something that could multitask a bit. I also like the scabbard for carrying a rifle.

After having as many packs as my wife has purses I got a Badlands from Cabelas. It is a great basic pack and you can go bigger and fancier as needed.

I love my badlands ultra day pack. Going on my 4th year of hunting with it and haven't had a single problem yet. My only complaint is being a skinny guy "5'9" 155lb" the waist straps just barely cinch tight enough and could be taken in a little bit, Other that its perfect!

I just bought an Eberlestock LoDrag pack. I haven't had a chance to try it in the field, but so far I like it a lot.

opplanet-eberlestock-x3mc-lodrag-pack.jpg

opplanet-eberlestock-x3mc-lodrag-pack.jpg

A little "old School" here.. but there are two basic types of true packs: Internal Frame (very common these days), and External Frame, much more common when I did back packing.

If you are planning on packing meat/trophy etc out from a couple day hike in, you really need an external frame pack. Reason. You can remove the "Pack" itself, and just use the frame as a packboard when you are packing your meat/trophy out. There is no need to get you internal frame pack all bloody that way. You are going to hike back in for the camp equipment anyway, so why carry the extra weight of the bag out and back in again?

If you are just going backpacking, in general, an internal frame pack is a more friendly carry as it holds everything closer to your body. Old pfardt's opinion anyway.

Nimrod pack made in Washington State is what I use. I cannot recommend it enough. Its a really comfortable, quiet and tough pack. I think I carry a few more things as a bowhunter, especially during early December controlled elk hunts, and I truly love this pack.

I've been through my share of packs. For awhile I had used the Eberlestock Dragonfly Just 1 pack, with rifle scabbard for rifle hunting. It is top notch, and the easiest way to pack a rifle.

This year I went with a Tenzing 6000 pack for bow hunting. It is the lightest pack (about 7lbs 12oz) in its class, a full two pounds lighter than my Eberlestock. Expandable meat pack, and room to fit enough gear for a 7 day hunt. Surprisingly comfortable, even when loaded down with 50lbs. I would reccomend it to anyone looking for a pack.

Hey folks. I am in the market for a Backpack for this years hunting. Now, the only hunt I have planned sofar we will be set up at a base camp and going out from there so that hunt will not need more then a simple day pack but in the future, there very well could be times where a two-three day pack will be needed.

What do y'all use and recommend.

Hello,

The good stuff for day and or extended trips

Stone Glacier
Paradox pack
Hill People Gear
Kifaru
Mystery Ranch
Dana Design

The others:
BlacksCreek

Over rated:
Eberlestock
Sitka Packs

:)

I have a Badlands SuperDay and 2800. I have owned more than a few cheap (think wally world brands) packs and they are fine, but aren't of the same caliber of pack like badlands or the other brands mentioned in previous posts.

For a meat packer, we use external frames.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top