Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Backpack recomendations

Discussion in 'Northwest Hunting' started by mrblond, Jun 17, 2013.

1. mrblond

mrblond Salem OR Well-Known Member

Hey folks. I am in the market for a Backpack for this years hunting. Now, the only hunt I have planned sofar we will be set up at a base camp and going out from there so that hunt will not need more then a simple day pack but in the future, there very well could be times where a two-three day pack will be needed.

What do y'all use and recommend.

2. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

Part of it depends on what you're doing.

I've got an Eberlestock Just One. I wanted something that could multitask a bit. I also like the scabbard for carrying a rifle.

3. gunfreak

gunfreak Boise Well-Known Member

After having as many packs as my wife has purses I got a Badlands from Cabelas. It is a great basic pack and you can go bigger and fancier as needed.

4. Rock solid

Rock solid Nw oregon Member

I love my badlands ultra day pack. Going on my 4th year of hunting with it and haven't had a single problem yet. My only complaint is being a skinny guy "5'9" 155lb" the waist straps just barely cinch tight enough and could be taken in a little bit, Other that its perfect!

5. iGun

iGun Pacific NW Active Member

I just bought an Eberlestock LoDrag pack. I haven't had a chance to try it in the field, but so far I like it a lot.

opplanet-eberlestock-x3mc-lodrag-pack.jpg

opplanet-eberlestock-x3mc-lodrag-pack.jpg

6. mrblond

I been looking hard at the eberlstock packs. I have noticed the " hunting " packs are a bit more expensive then the tact packs.

7. hermannr

hermannr Okanogan Highlands Well-Known Member

A little "old School" here.. but there are two basic types of true packs: Internal Frame (very common these days), and External Frame, much more common when I did back packing.

If you are planning on packing meat/trophy etc out from a couple day hike in, you really need an external frame pack. Reason. You can remove the "Pack" itself, and just use the frame as a packboard when you are packing your meat/trophy out. There is no need to get you internal frame pack all bloody that way. You are going to hike back in for the camp equipment anyway, so why carry the extra weight of the bag out and back in again?

If you are just going backpacking, in general, an internal frame pack is a more friendly carry as it holds everything closer to your body. Old pfardt's opinion anyway.

K-22, Brutus57, 3MTA3 and 3 others like this.
  8. 44mag2ndamend

44mag2ndamend Round the ole tree stump, Down by the crick Well-Known Member

So the thing I think about now after reading about what to carry in the woods for protection, my future pack would not interfere with my carry weapon, and yet accomodate everything else needed without being uncomfortable.

9. WilliamIV

WilliamIV Longview, Washington Active Member

I have a badlands 2200 and love it. Tons of room in it. Or check out wilderness pack specialities out of Oregon. They make great packs and really good customer service.

10. richdav

richdav oregon Member

1 person likes this.
  11. dplev4

dplev4 Oregon Member

Nimrod pack made in Washington State is what I use. I cannot recommend it enough. Its a really comfortable, quiet and tough pack. I think I carry a few more things as a bowhunter, especially during early December controlled elk hunts, and I truly love this pack.

12. UncleSugar

UncleSugar East County Member

I have a Badlands SuperDay, great pack. It also has a holster built in on each side of the waist belt.

13. djgaloot

djgaloot Oregon City Member

Has anyone used a new/surplus US Marines backpack. They seem pretty nice and can be had for under $100.

14. mrblond

I have looked at them but as my look is very poor, id end up with one that has been run over by a tank.

15. charvey9

charvey9 Beaverton, OR Active Member

I've been through my share of packs. For awhile I had used the Eberlestock Dragonfly Just 1 pack, with rifle scabbard for rifle hunting. It is top notch, and the easiest way to pack a rifle.

This year I went with a Tenzing 6000 pack for bow hunting. It is the lightest pack (about 7lbs 12oz) in its class, a full two pounds lighter than my Eberlestock. Expandable meat pack, and room to fit enough gear for a 7 day hunt. Surprisingly comfortable, even when loaded down with 50lbs. I would reccomend it to anyone looking for a pack.

16. Trick

Trick St Helens Active Member

I have the same pack and this will be my third season on it......Love it also.

17. WilliamIV

WilliamIV Longview, Washington Active Member

It'll be my third as well. I haven't had and zippers break or anything like people have reported with it. I'm tough on my equipment as well.

18. mtnman

mtnman Wa, mtns New Member

Hello,

The good stuff for day and or extended trips

Stone Glacier
    Paradox pack
    Hill People Gear
    Kifaru
    Mystery Ranch
    Dana Design

The others:
    BlacksCreek

Over rated:
    Eberlestock
    Sitka Packs

:)

19. BiggerHammer

BiggerHammer Deep in the Pacific Northwest. Active Member

Take a look at Kuiu packs, I have a 1850. For short day and overnight trips, I do prefer a little larger pack so before this season. I may pick up the 5200 pack.

https://store.kuiu.com/categories/packs/

20. Grizzly_A

Grizzly_A Portland Metro Area Member

I have a Badlands SuperDay and 2800. I have owned more than a few cheap (think wally world brands) packs and they are fine, but aren't of the same caliber of pack like badlands or the other brands mentioned in previous posts.

For a meat packer, we use external frames.