JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
About a year and a half ago I traded into a Dan Wesson CBOB without knowing a thing about the gun except for it's potential value. I was trading a Browning single shot that while valuable, has a very limited scope of people who would be interested. I figured that I could sell the CBOB easier than the Browning.
What I ended up with was an awesome handgun that I decided right away was NOT for sale. I pack this gun daily, stake my life on it, and feel that I "backed into" one of the best deals I've ever come across.

(maybe I should have titled this "In praise of the CBOB"!)

Anyone else have a "backed into" deal they are pleased with and want to share?

A friend needed a mountain bike for bow hunting cause non of the gates were open.I had a old beat up bike in my shed,after showing him what i had he offered me a 308 for the bike and some cash.I took the rifle up and shot it and fell in love with the thing.It is a Remington 700 LTR with a Burris Tactical scope.I feel pretty good about it.:D

Picked up a Navy Arms revolver at a garage sale for $75. Held onto it for a few months until a friend decided he wanted it; he traded me a Mosin-Nagant for it and sold me 180 rounds of surplus ammo for $40. Shortly thereafter I traded the Mosin and ammo for a Plainfield M1 carbine with 550 rounds of FMJ. I think I got the better end of it :)

Greg

I walked into a sporting goods shop in Cupertino Ca and they had a Bersa .380 for $99.00 bucks. I bought it right then and there.
I also got a Dan Wesson .41 mag revolver for $300 because the guy just wanted the cash. He had started trying to sell it for $800 but did not get any takers. He kept dropping the price, until I saw the advert for what I bought it for.
Both of them are pretty sweet shooters.

Picked up a Navy Arms revolver at a garage sale for $75. Held onto it for a few months until a friend decided he wanted it; he traded me a Mosin-Nagant for it and sold me 180 rounds of surplus ammo for $40. Shortly thereafter I traded the Mosin and ammo for a Plainfield M1 carbine with 550 rounds of FMJ. I think I got the better end of it :)

Greg

That 'Mosin' is a Finn M27 with a brass-shimmed ski stock and floated barrel (both operations performed by the arsenal) that shoots under 2" 5 shot groups at 100 yards with open sights, decent heavyball surplus and my lousy eyesight ;).

Keith (I agree though. Personally, you did smokingly well :) .)

That 'Mosin' is a Finn M27 with a brass-shimmed ski stock and floated barrel (both operations performed by the arsenal) that shoots under 2" 5 shot groups at 100 yards with open sights, decent heavyball surplus and my lousy eyesight ;).

Keith (I agree though. Personally, you did smokingly well :) .)

Haha, I was wondering if you were going to chime in ;)

gotta love the Finn Mosins - got mine from a friend who bought 3 to find out which one shot best - all 3 were great shooters - one had more rare stampings - traded him a case of ammo for the one I got - shot a 6" group(10 rd) at 300 yards with open sights off the bench. Added a bent bolt to it and waiting for the right deal on a scope/mount to finish it off.

K

About 15 years ago I had just paid for a CZ50 .32 - a friend working at the shop had hand picked the best 5 from the batch they had on ad for $75. I mentioned it to a retired CHP guy that I worked with and he said he had been looking for a 32 or 380 for a house gun and would trade an old lever action 30-30 for one. I headed back to the shop and paid for a second one in his name. It turned out that the old 30-30 was a Winchester 94 built in 1916 with a front sight that was made from an old filed down solid copper penny. The first time I took it to the range I asked if the steel plates were fair game with it and they said no problem - thought it was way off on the sights as I put about 10 rounds down range and the plates didn't drop. It turns out it was dead on - the range master had been working a ton of cowboy action shoots and mistakenly thought it was .45 instead of 30-30. we had to weld up the 10 beautiful clean holes that punched through the plates so fast that they didn't even shake when I hit them.

Just looked around on line and found one that recently sold for $775 in similar condition - not bad for $80.

gotta love the Finn Mosins - got mine from a friend who bought 3 to find out which one shot best - all 3 were great shooters - one had more rare stampings - traded him a case of ammo for the one I got - shot a 6" group(10 rd) at 300 yards with open sights off the bench. Added a bent bolt to it and waiting for the right deal on a scope/mount to finish it off.

K

You might look into a scope mount that replaces the rear sight leaf and go with a 'scout scope' type of arrangement. If you haven't checked prices on these lately, you might be a bit surprised at what they are trading for. You could potentially lose several hundred dollars in collectors' value by drilling and tapping that receiver. (And if you still have it, keep the original straight bolt handle too.)

Keith

You might look into a scope mount that replaces the rear sight leaf and go with a 'scout scope' type of arrangement. If you haven't checked prices on these lately, you might be a bit surprised at what they are trading for. You could potentially lose several hundred dollars in collectors' value by drilling and tapping that receiver. (And if you still have it, keep the original straight bolt handle too.)

Keith

Still have the original straight bolt for it - its a Russian capture gun with the hex receiver. I was thinking I'd wait until Big 5 has them on sale again for $79 - $89 as they seem to fairly often - buy a second one and if it shoots straight drill it for scope mount. - or if I'm lucky I'll find some guns in my yard falling from the sky transplanted by the tornado from Aumsville.

Do you know what model it is? As a 'capture', it sounds like either a M91 or a M91/30. Does it have a Finn stock, too?

It sounds like that tornado was a very unfortunate occurrence for more than a few families. I've been listening to eyewitness accounts on 750. The interviewees sound like they are talking about scenes from Twister.

Keith

So I sold my Kimber and Glock on here Sunday.

I needed to find replacements.
I went to a couple gun shops to look.

I was serious about 3 different ones at 1 shop.
I pulled out cash
They were the owners personal guns.

He just started cutting the prices.What was I to do?

I have a Super Blackhawk,a XD 40,and a 17 Rem Contender.

I was looking for all three.
Good day shopping.:s0155:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top