JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My brother-in-law went in to buy his first handgun this afternoon and was told the check could take 2-weeks. Are they really that backed up or is something else going on?

Tell your BIL he should have used one of them there "loopholes" he's heard about so much about from the MSM / politicians...

/sarcasm.

-actually doing so, if he has a buy in with all such, having said discussion with him may be a bit of an eye opener for him.

Regardless, welcome him into the fold wisely. Stress safety, take him out (if you can) for some fun shooting. Then move the fun up gradually towards practicing defensive handgun use. If he gets to enjoy shooting it, hopefully he won't be a new firearms owner whom simply buys it & puts it away, thinking its some magic talisman warding off evil...

He must have drawn the short-straw, because you don't "use" your CHL filling out the 4463, you use you state issued driver license and your CHL is attached to your name in the records.

you definitely do use it. Instead of giving them your drivers license, you give them your concealed carry, and you get bumped to the front of the line. I've bought 3 guns in the last week, and got cleared in less than 5 min

The last couple of times, they have asked for my CHL in addition to my Drivers License.

Hmmm...wonder if something is going on with OSP's computer system again?

Supposedly CHL bump didn't work over the summer due to some computer upgrade/glitch. Then CHL folks were back getting bumped again.

Haven't done too much trading amidst the plan-demic, however did buy a rifle a couple months back (queue in the thousands). Instant approval with just OR drivers license, no SS# (as always).

Have only used CHL as ID (along with OR drivers license) a couple times, but those were phone ins from FFL's. That's quite a while back tho.

Obviously it is a local/regional issue. In Arizona the CCW covers it as an instant check but even the log hand version method with a call to the big guys took me only 5 minutes two weeks ago for my new S&W 25-15.

I wish you luck but at the rate sales are running nationally I think many places will be longer than normal.

Greg

I don't get it. I don't have an Orygun CHL (used to have a WA CPL). Every time I have bought a firearm in Oregon I have only had to wait 10-20 minutes at most, usually it is approved instantly.

I do have a very unique name (maybe a dozen people in the USA have my name, and nobody I know has my name with my middle name), and I buy a gun maybe every couple of months, so?

The last couple of times, they have asked for my CHL in addition to my Drivers License.

you definitely do use it. Instead of giving them your drivers license, you give them your concealed carry, and you get bumped to the front of the line. I've bought 3 guns in the last week, and got cleared in less than 5 min

Then that must be a VERY recent development, because the FFL always wanted my Oregon DL and not my Oregon CHL to fill out the 4473….

He must have drawn the short-straw, because you don't "use" your CHL filling out the 4463, you use you state issued driver license and your CHL is attached to your name in the records.

Sure they do. It is even an option when running the NICS check.

^. This.

It could be the FFL you used just was not that conversant in the process.

My money is on the FFL being ignorant of the regulations. They are, after all, legion.

It is a fairly recent change. You can still use your drivers license as ID, but if you present your conceal carry as ID, you will get bumped to the front of the line. Even if you have the concealed carry, but use your drivers license, you won't get bumped to the front. If your FFL puts up a fuss about it, go to a different FFL. Or have fun waiting for 2 weeks to get your gat

It could be the FFL you used just was not that conversant in the process.

Sure they do. It is even an option when running the NICS check.

^. This.

My money is on the FFL being ignorant of the regulations. They are, after all, legion.

OK, I believe you… BUT….. (LOL)

I've used a couple FFL's up in Washington, and over the years at LEAST five different FFL's in Oregon (and @LuckySG for at least the last 5 separate transactions I've done… that I remember… LOL) and even offered my CHL during several of those past 4473 UBC's, and not a single one needed anything other than my ODL, and I've always enjoyed an instant approval…. Knock on wood. ;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top