JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
as of me typing this there are 5,921 people in the que. EVERY person i have ran with a CHL except for 1 has passed instantly. Going over the paper work with the customer will do nothing, the personal info i put into the computer must match the DMV even if i accideltly put Female instead of Male it wouldn't go through.

I have been waiting going on 1 year next month. I call OSP and it takes them 4 months to return a call. When they do finally call I'm in the shower. Called right back and am still waiting. That was three months ago. Even contacted a gun rights attorney who said they could do nothing for me. Dealers won't release firearm after the three day period. If they would just deny me I could pursue legall action but they just keep me delayed. The one time I did talk to OSP he said they could keep me delayed indefinite. I am the perfect example of a broken system. There is NO reason for me to not be approved under the current law. Stuck in a broken system with no end in sight they. Can anyone help?

Last Edited:
I have been waiting going on 1 year next month. I call OSP and it takes them 4 months to return a call. When they do finally call I'm in the shower. Called right back and am still waiting. That was three months ago. Even contacted a gun rights attorney who said they could do nothing for me. Dealers won't release firearm after the three day period. If they would just deny me I could pursue legall action but they just keep me delayed. The one time I did talk to OSP he said they could keep me delayed indefinite. I am the perfect example of a broken system. There is NO reason for me to not be approved under the current law. Stuck in a broken system with no end in sight they. Can anyone help?

Is there a way to withdraw your bgc application? And start over? Just a thought

call NRA-ILA and Oregon Firearm federation. Maybe they can help with a law suit. Also call SAF (second amendment foundation).

These insane delays are unacceptable.

Last Edited:
call NRA-ILA and Oregon Firearm federation. Maybe they can help with a law suit. Also call SAF (second amendment foundation).

These insane delays are unacceptable.
I emailed OFF and got a suggestion to forward my story on to the yahoo's that are on the committee currently discussing the removal of the 3 day clause. Which by the way does me no good as the dealer has told me flat out he won't release the rifle until OSP clears it. My State Rep has said his office is reaching out to OSP to see if he can get some answers. Answers are cool but if they just tell him their moronic reason for the delay again that does me no good. I'm at a full 62 days as of this morning. and I still don't have a Felony on my record.

I emailed OFF and got a suggestion to forward my story on to the yahoo's that are on the committee currently discussing the removal of the 3 day clause. Which by the way does me no good as the dealer has told me flat out he won't release the rifle until OSP clears it. My State Rep has said his office is reaching out to OSP to see if he can get some answers. Answers are cool but if they just tell him their moronic reason for the delay again that does me no good. I'm at a full 62 days as of this morning. and I still don't have a Felony on my record.

I would call SAF and NRA-ILA then and see if they are looking for sue. Forwarding your issue to the committee won't help.

I would also reach out to your local state senator assuming they are 2A friendly.

I would call your local congressman too if you're in Oregon's 2nd.

Ok to finish up my part of the story. I got a call this morning from a lady at OSP. she says at some time in the past I was delayed for this maybe felony and it was found to be nothing for them to worry about. That info then would have been forwarded to another OSP unit that should have updated my criminal record with that info (that it was not a Felony). That unit did not do that for what ever reason.

The BGC was cleared this morning around 10:30 am she told me she with her own two eyes verified that my criminal record has now been up dated and I should not suffer this PITA again.

I waited until the gun shop opened and then a half hour before I called the woman there said yes its cleared now all I have to do is come in and do the BGC again because its been 30 days, I made a stink about they can just give me the dam rifle based on the 3 day rule. She says NOPE store policy.

So I get in the truck and for the 4th time drive to Keizer and fill out a second BGC 4473 and then stand there like I was at graduation for Basic training (very very quiet in the gun shop) and the guy after about 10 min says Mark your all cleared. I walked over picked up the rifle box off the counter and walked out.

Single biggest waste of time and money ever for a retail purchase of any kind.

62 days delayed
made 12 phone calls leaving long messages resulting in a phone conversation with an OSP Lieutenant who told me about the 39 year old driving while suspended arrest that is the root of all this sillyness.
made 6 emails to OSP Lars Larson, (no acknowledgement) OFF, An email back suggesting the system is all screwed up and I should forward my story to the people discussing HR what ever about the 3 day release) both my state legislators and the Marion County Sheriff (who called me back as was very sympathetic but had no power to help me out) My State Rep Rick Lewis emailed me back the other day saying he would be looking into it. Nothing from Fred Girod my republican state senator.
three phone calls to my Lawyer and about $400 down the tubes.
55 sleepless nights and some where around 400 bad thoughts and 5700+ cuss words

Now I have to clean up my reloading bench so I can make some ammo for it.

So now I am basically out the money I would have used on a nice set of long range sights. I'll still get them just later.

Ok to finish up my part of the story. I got a call this morning from a lady at OSP. she says at some time in the past I was delayed for this maybe felony and it was found to be nothing for them to worry about. That info then would have been forwarded to another OSP unit that should have updated my criminal record with that info (that it was not a Felony). That unit did not do that for what ever reason.

The BGC was cleared this morning around 10:30 am she told me she with her own two eyes verified that my criminal record has now been up dated and I should not suffer this PITA again.

I waited until the gun shop opened and then a half hour before I called the woman there said yes its cleared now all I have to do is come in and do the BGC again because its been 30 days, I made a stink about they can just give me the dam rifle based on the 3 day rule. She says NOPE store policy.

So I get in the truck and for the 4th time drive to Keizer and fill out a second BGC 4473 and then stand there like I was at graduation for Basic training (very very quiet in the gun shop) and the guy after about 10 min says Mark your all cleared. I walked over picked up the rifle box off the counter and walked out.

62 days delayed
made 12 phone calls leaving long messages resulting in a phone conversation with an OSP Lieutenant who told me about the 39 year old driving while suspended arrest that is the root of all this sillyness.
made 6 emails to OSP Lars Larson, (no acknowledgement) OFF, An email back suggesting the system is all screwed up and I should forward my story to the people discussing HR what ever about the 3 day release) both my state legislators and the Marion County Sheriff (who called me back as was very sympathetic but had no power to help me out) My State Rep Rick Lewis emailed me back the other day saying he would be looking into it. Nothing from Fred Girod my republican state senator.

So now I am basically out the money I would have used on a nice set of long range sights. I'll still get them just later.

You too.

62 days delayed

Why would they of made you fill out another 4473? That doesn't make sense unless they told osp to cancel your original background check?

Why would they of made you fill out another 4473? That doesn't make sense unless they told osp to cancel your original background check?

4473 are only good for 30 days, then you gotta submit a new one. Normally if there is an approval after 30 days the FFL will call it into OSP and let them know they had a prior approval and boom you leave with your gun.
But now OSP just has a voicemail box, so you leave a message and wait for their call back, so add a couple days for that to happen.

The wife made me promise not to come home with a felony if they did not let me have the rifle. SO I am not real sure how them making me wait a few more days would have turned out I really hate to disappoint the wife. LOL As it was the second NGC took about 10 min. I have a feeling the Ladies at OSP might have recognized my name soon as they saw it. The dealers emp said there were only 6 people ahead of me on the OH YOU HAVE A CHL list so we don't need to screw with you list (OK screw with me AGAIN list)

[/QUAfterOTE]

I've bought 2 guns during this "pandemic" and I clear within a minute or two. Yes I have a CHL. I always put my complete social down. I just enjoy walking in, filling out the form, and walking out while others are pissed they are still in the que... I've even had other customers get mad at me and accuse me like it's my fault they are stuck. That hold situation happened to a buddy of mine though who is now a LEO. Ever had an issue and all of a sudden he was put on hold. Seven days later he canceled the background check, went to another vendor and passed immediately. The system is definitely flawed at times.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top